Malkoff M61W

Noctis

Enlightened
Tempted, but I did just spend $300 on knives, $327 on an M2-50 Neutral w/ Turnkey White C2 host, and I gotta save up another $400-ish for a light from milkyspit.

Need more money:banghead::banghead::banghead:.

mwaldron

Enlightened
It seems mine will arrive on Monday. I'm guessing that the first batch will start showing up tomorrow though!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
240 measured out the front lumens!!!! What has happened? :eek:
Practically the same output as the cool version, and with same runtime!
I had expected ~190 lumens or so. Seems too good to be true! :sssh:
I will wait for the M61WL.

Regards, Patric

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a notification email of M61WL beeing in stock! Ordered a M61WL and a M61LL! :thumbsup:

Regards, Patric

Barbarian

Enlightened
I bought this version, but I really want a M31W.

EDIT: Just bought two M31W's

Last edited:

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened
I will be intrested to see how the XP-G W compairs to the XRE W in-terms of tint.

In the mean time I am going to enjoy my M61 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M61WL is out!!

I was checking the Malkoff website and saw that the M61WL is available. Couldn't believe my eyes, but decided to post here as soon as I placed my order. :D

For the convenience of everyone browsing this thread:

M60WL
Current draw: 350ma at 6 volts
Output/Runtime (2 x CR123): ~100 lumens/4.5 hours

M61WL
Current draw: 300ma at 6 volts
Output/Runtime (2 x CR123): ~125 lumens/5 hours

More lumens for more runtime. Can't beat that! Nineteen in stock before I ordered, 18 left at the time of this post.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m60wl-warm-tint-low-output-to-fit-a-surefire-flashlight-p-34.html

Good luck! Now comes the wait...

Last edited:

ecallahan

Enlightened
Everytime I look at this thread I end up with another Malkoff. I have a M61WL coming now. I really like the xp-g's, so if these meet my expectations, I'll be switching all my M60-warms out. We'll see. Thanks for the heads-ups.

Barbarian

Enlightened
I received mine today and I am very impressed.

Even though I have my M60W at work and can't compare throw, I can tell you from memory that the new M61W has a lot smoother beam.

I did compare the tint with my M30WF and M60W MC-E and the M61W is definitely more neutral than the other two.

This drop-in is a definite keeper.

jonesy

Enlightened
I will echo what Barbarian just said. Tint on mine is quite nice, quite neutral. I never noticed just how blue my original M60 was compared to this new dropin. It really lights up a wide swath and seems much more general purpose than the older one was. It's quite a bit more usable on low as well (running it in an MD2 with hi/lo ring).

Seems that this combo is just about perfect for EDC. Any idea what kind of runtime I'd be getting on the low setting with 2 primary batts?

Axion

Enlightened
According to light-reviews.com the quark 123^2 light run 50 hours on the 22 lumen setting on primaries. The Malkoff low is probably similar to that.

ecallahan

Enlightened
Definitely a more neutral tint than the M60W. I really like both the M61W and M60W. My M61W seems to throw just as much as my M60W, with much brighter spill, and larger hotspot, due to the reflector/xp-g combo.

The M60W seems to have just a little more overall spill, in that the very edge of the spill reaches further back than the M61W, I think because of the optic. Hope I'm explaining that correctly. I compared both in 6P's.

mwaldron

Enlightened
My M61W arrived today. It's certainly more neutral than my M60W which was already (imo) very neutral.

That's all I can say since I'm in the office and my only target is brown carpet (which incidentally doesn't look very good under the M61).

Max_Power

Enlightened
I received 3 M61W modules on Monday and immediately popped them into a couple of SureFire 6P hosts and an MD4 with 2x18650. The tint is not quite as warm as the M30W and M60W predecessors. It is pretty much neutral, with a slight tinge of yellow-green.

The big surprise was that one of the modules has a beam pattern almost the same as the M30/M60 series!

Looks like I am going to be making some beamshots to back up this claim...

Brightness is somewhat higher than my 170 lumen warm modules, but not huge. Low beam is brighter since the XPG diode has a lower forward voltage drop than the previous model.

These are certainly worth the money.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received 3 M61W modules on Monday and immediately popped them into a couple of SureFire 6P hosts and an MD4 with 2x18650. The tint is not quite as warm as the M30W and M60W predecessors. It is pretty much neutral, with a slight tinge of yellow-green.

The big surprise was that one of the modules has a beam pattern almost the same as the M30/M60 series!

Looks like I am going to be making some beamshots to back up this claim...

Brightness is somewhat higher than my 170 lumen warm modules, but not huge. Low beam is brighter since the XPG diode has a lower forward voltage drop than the previous model.

These are certainly worth the money.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I am waiting for a M61WL and according to your description of the tint I think I will like it. But I become very surprised about one of your modules and have hard to believe anything other than it's faulty.
I have two MD2s, one with M60 and the other with M61. I would say there is NO likeness between these beams (except from both are brightest in the center)...
Also, with the precision made reflectors and the centered LEDs it SHOULD be impossible to get that much different beam profiles and especially not similar to M60! :confused:

Regards, Patric

Last edited: