Malkoff M91

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be a very simple fix for the Malkoff MD and VME heads to have a slightly larger opening. Why has this not happened yet? Really....

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
HOLY COW!!!!!

I just had a chance to take my first ever Malkoff, an M91A out back into the woods and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! I have it in a 6P with extender and w/ 3 CR123, new Surefire batteries, I can't believe the hot spot.... I mean its like a white wall of light... At almost 50' I swear it's the
diameter of 30+ feet. It's perfect for stopping a vehicle and as a secondary you can light up the whole freaking car! Talk about impressive.

Is it me or did everyone else realize the strike bezel on a 6PD blocks the room flooding characteristics of Malkoffs, :-(
Time to find another host...

My hats off to Gene and the gang, I see now all the hype and now know why I will be finding a M60 and another host...

BTW I got my used M31 in also today, I loaded it into a G3 with 2 AA Eneloops and I am in love... Just at a lower lumen level!!!

Yeah, the Defenders definitely block some of the beam, and project the teeth on the edge of the spill. It is not as bad with the M60 or the E2DL because they have narrower beams, but with the floody lights it is more noticeable.

+1 on the MD heads blocking as well, the VMEs are the worst offenders.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got my M91AW in the mail this morning. It's awesome!!!

big news: it's an XM-L2. I definitely see a silver PCB :)

it's also more of a ~4500-5000K temperature I'd say. It's definitely no 3700K which I am absolutely fine with.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got my M91AW in the mail this morning. It's awesome!!!

big news: it's an XM-L2. I definitely see a silver PCB :)

it's also more of a ~4500-5000K temperature I'd say. It's definitely no 3700K which I am absolutely fine with.

It's great isn't it... Congrats on the XM-L2,
Does this look like one???

20130313_115059_zpsc189bb0f.jpg

Glock 22

Enlightened
I'm dying to see a beamshot of the M91AW with the XM-L2. Could somebody post me one?

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots are always good. Have we gotten any confirmation yet that M91/91W's have been fully switched over to the XML2?

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have come to love the Malkoff dropins,

Have some questions though,

Are the best heads for these the Malkoff heads?

Reason I ask is because they fill a room with light and the stock Surefire bezels either Defender or not constrict the beam a little around the edges,

Is there that much a difference between my M91A being in a C3 head versus a Malkoff head on on say an MD3, the M91A sits pretty far back in there...

Has anyone seen beam shots???

Last edited:

Glock 22

Enlightened
The MD3 head will cut your spill down. They do better in the Surefires heads. You'll have more light coming out, all of my Malkoff's are in Surefires. Hope this helps.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD3 head will cut your spill down. They do better in the Surefires heads. You'll have more light coming out, all of my Malkoff's are in Surefires. Hope this helps.

That helps, thanks...

I just thought in a Malkoff head the module would be "closer" to the front instead of sitting back as far as it does,
I was kind of wondering also if there was a way to get the Malkoff drop ins to sit closer to the back of the glass by chance, Lol...

But if it's better in a Surefire I'll stick with em.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised that the Surefire head cuts off less of the pattern than the MD2 head. I know I tested between them myself a few months ago, and vaguely recall the MD2 was best (out of 6P, Elzetta, and MD2).

Grizz

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
That helps, thanks...

I just thought in a Malkoff head the module would be "closer" to the front instead of sitting back as far as it does,
I was kind of wondering also if there was a way to get the Malkoff drop ins to sit closer to the back of the glass by chance, Lol...

But if it's better in a Surefire I'll stick with em.

The malkoff heads were orignally designed for the optic equipped M60 series, and they sealed directly to the optic without a lens. This prevented spill being cut off as the diameter of the optic and head were matched properly, now the M61/m91's have the reflector sitting further back, and there's a lens there, so a small but notable amount of spill can get cut off.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just performed some basement tests. The M91A beam is so ringy at the outer edge (each ring dimmer than the one directly inside it) that it was difficult to locate the beam's actual edge.

I grabbed an M61 and tried again with better results due to the complete rack of rings. The 6P did indeed throw a beam 12 inches wider at a distance of 10 feet.

Grizz

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Not any news that an M61, M31, M91, etc will throw more light in the SF head than the MD head. I did some measurements in the past, and there is more spill with the wider opening of a Surefire bezel, and some minor lumen loss using the MD head. This when I did bounce with a light meter and beam shots, comparing the different Malkoff drop-ins. Good idea to use the wide beam of the M91 in a SF head. The loss is less noticeable using the M61 series, and obviously hardly noticeable using the M60 series drop-ins.

Bill

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really appreciate the responses, and the work there also, Grizzman,

I really thoght the head pushed back some would cut more of the perimeter off than it actuallt does, Good thing light bends hugh, Lol...

I love my Surefure bodies but really want an MD2 with the High/Low ring... and then I can use my SF A19 and run my M91A in it sometime,

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me and a cop buddy were messing around last night and I had my bored SF with a M91A on two 18500 cells, and my Wildcat, which is a V3, Holy Crap was he shocked, use the M91A as a primary and the WC as a larger brother as a back up,

We were chillin in a Starbucks, lol...they were closing up and when they turned off all the lights we started testing the lights.

I am sorry to say, "well not really sorry" Lol...

I truly put his Strion to absolute shame!

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Me and a cop buddy were messing around last night and I had my bored SF with a M91A on two 18500 cells, and my Wildcat, which is a V3, Holy Crap was he shocked, use the M91A as a primary and the WC as a larger brother as a back up,
We were chillin in a Starbucks, lol...they were closing up and when they turned off all the lights we started testing the lights.
I am sorry to say, "well not really sorry" Lol...I truly put his Strion to absolute shame!
I'd wish to see the M91A v. Wildcat :)