Malkoff M91

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Did a little "white wall hunting with my M91, and what passes as a hotspot is a huge bright area that is not perfectly round. In normal use I do not notice it and never heard about it till I read a few posts back in this thread. You want an irregular beam, try out an MN15 LA. It has a huge very well defined hotspot that is very, very oval. I've got the M91 for its mostly absence of a defined hotspot, and a huge massive bright beam.

Bill

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Although you have to stand close to a wall to see the defined hotspot (very floody), the beam pattern on mine is perfectly round and centered. It's easier to see while wearing sunglasses too because this light is so damn bright!

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
Lol what? Everyone's been talking about how great the m91 is, and as soon as I buy one it's all about beam problems. Is this a recent quality control issue? I do notice that mine doesn't cast a perfectly round beam now that I've heard about it, but it doesn't seem too bad.

Vernon

Enlightened
I still think this drop in is one of the best. I love the wall of light, the tint, the runtime in a 9p, and the quality. Can't beat Gene's products...period!

Glock 22

Enlightened
I agree Gene is the best I have 8 Drop-in's and looking to get more. Once you buy your first Malkoff, any thing else is hard to suit you. Your just hooked.

Can't beat Gene's products...period!

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
Advice on Malkoff M91

Hi all,

I have an SF C3 that I am looking to enhance and have been thinking about putting in one of the Malkoff M91 drop-ins. Has anyone had any experience with these lights? What are your opinions? The C3 currently has the standard incandescent bulb in it and I am looking to upgrade it to a much higher powered LED. I absolutely love the body, so I am unwilling to get rid of it. I am an emergency service worker, and the light has been through some hardcore events (its been run over by trucks, had batteries explode, had trees fall on it, fallen off roofs) and it has a lot of sentimental value.

Anyway, would love to hear your opinions and perhaps a few beamshots. I've looked around CPF and have read some pretty decent comments about them. One thing I would like to know is how does the M91 compare to the M91W, is the colour that much different? I have a preference for warmer lights (I find the cooler colour spectrum impacts on depth perception), but what is your experience.

Eventually, I am also thinking about putting an MD60 in my M4 with the Turbo head. Any advice on that?
Thanks in advance

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Advice on Malkoff M91

Hello Telemeister,

I have merged your query into the main Malkoff M91 thread. It sounds as though you've done some CPF reading on this module first so perhaps you've reviewed this thread already, but I thought to merge your thread so we can keep the commentary and comparisons in the main thread. IMO the M91 is a fine choice for your C3, I'm sure others will be along shortly.

You probably want to inquire about an MD60 in your M4 in another thread, as it is helpful to keep things on topic here.

Best of luck,

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi all,

I have an SF C3 that I am looking to enhance and have been thinking about putting in one of the Malkoff M91 drop-ins. Has anyone had any experience with these lights? What are your opinions? The C3 currently has the standard incandescent bulb in it and I am looking to upgrade it to a much higher powered LED. I absolutely love the body, so I am unwilling to get rid of it. I am an emergency service worker, and the light has been through some hardcore events (its been run over by trucks, had batteries explode, had trees fall on it, fallen off roofs) and it has a lot of sentimental value.

Anyway, would love to hear your opinions and perhaps a few beamshots. I've looked around CPF and have read some pretty decent comments about them. One thing I would like to know is how does the M91 compare to the M91W, is the colour that much different? I have a preference for warmer lights (I find the cooler colour spectrum impacts on depth perception), but what is your experience.

Eventually, I am also thinking about putting an MD60 in my M4 with the Turbo head. Any advice on that?
Thanks in advance

Welcome to CPF!

I have both of those setups! The C3 with M91 sounds like it would be ideal for your line of work. I do a lot of interior building inspections in crawl spaces, mechanical spaces, plenums, etc., etc., etc. The M91 lights up the space but does not blind you with hotspot glare when your hemmed in by stuff. The M4 with MD60 is a good throwing light and if you have a FM type beam diffuser it is a good area light as well. The hotspot is not so bright that if you sweep it over an object directly in front of you (something non-reflective) it won't flare out your vision.

Both are outstanding upgrades and you can put your incan LAs in your spares carrier in the very unlikely event the emitter dies.

kelmo

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened

C3 with M91 is what I have right now. It had a Malkoff M60 just before, which was working great. But this new dropin lights up a wide, close area better, and I'm pretty happy with it.

On a side note, I noticed that the new Surefire Fury seems to have 500 lumens and a 90 minute runtime, just like the m91. But the Fury does it on two cells instead of 3. How do they do that? What's the advantage of the M91 over the Fury, if any?

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened

Hello Telemeister,

I have merged your query into the main Malkoff M91 thread. It sounds as though you've done some CPF reading on this module first so perhaps you've reviewed this thread already, but I thought to merge your thread so we can keep the commentary and comparisons in the main thread. IMO the M91 is a fine choice for your C3, I'm sure others will be along shortly.

You probably want to inquire about an MD60 in your M4 in another thread, as it is helpful to keep things on topic here.

Best of luck,

Great, thanks very much for that.

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened

On a side note, I noticed that the new Surefire Fury seems to have 500 lumens and a 90 minute runtime, just like the m91.

Yeah, I saw that one too and thought about it, but I really love the body of my C3, it has all those scratches and dings from a lot of memorable jobs (sentimental, I know). I have the G2X, which is 200 lumens, and I don't think you can remove the head and swap it :( . I just assume the same is true of the Fury.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

The M91 beats the Fury:

There's more than these but they popped in my head first.
Price, if you own a host for the Malkoff already.
Runtime, the tail end of the run is nice and long.
Flexability #1, you can run it on 2 Rcr to 2 18650.
Flexability #2, your host looks however you like
Flood, if that's what you need from your light (I do).
Tint, very subjective but it is what it is and my eyes like Malkoff

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I saw that one too and thought about it, but I really love the body of my C3, it has all those scratches and dings from a lot of memorable jobs (sentimental, I know). I have the G2X, which is 200 lumens, and I don't think you can remove the head and swap it :( . I just assume the same is true of the Fury.

Where is the photo of your C3?????? Come on, we need to see it. We love photos here. :crackup::D

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

On a side note, I noticed that the new Surefire Fury seems to have 500 lumens and a 90 minute runtime, just like the m91. But the Fury does it on two cells instead of 3. How do they do that?
Yeah, I saw that one too and thought about it, but I really love the body of my C3
The M91's quoted runtime says 90 minutes of full output in regulation on 3 cells, while the Fury's is 90 minutes to 50 lumens, or 10% output, on 2 cells.

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened

Ah ok that makes sense. I thought for a second there that Surefire had found a way to violate the laws of physics. Looks like a great light, but I can't say my C3/M91 combo has left me wanting for another similar light.

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened

Where is the photo of your C3?????? Come on, we need to see it. We love photos here. :crackup::D
Ok, here it is.....actually not looking too bad for something that has fallen off lots of roofs and been run over by a truck.....added the SF pen as it has been through just as much....
P1040089.jpg

Last edited: