Malkoff Vs. Dereelight MC-E

Kestrel

Flashaholic
This is a strange thread.
+1
BTW,I have spent 7 years in undergrad/postgrad studies.
I'll see your 7 years and raise you 4 years. What does that mean? Nothing, when:
you were just throwing BS around hoping no one would call you on it. And you're the one who keeps calling people McFly.:shakehead
Also +1.

Unfortunately, this previously-interesting thread is going OT. Just reported the least-useful contributor here.

Last edited:

cfromc

Enlightened
+1

Unfortunately, this previously-interesting thread is going OT. Just reported the least-useful contributor here.

I don't know if you are referring to me (I hope not) but I edited out my last statements regarding AF. I still think he is rude and baiting though.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had a chance to look into the course of this thread carefully, and I'd rather not have to, but I will do so if I continue to suspect there is good reason to do so.

So, I suggest that everyone stay on topic and be respectful and civil.

'Nuff said. I hope.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
Can you actually buy a Malkoff TODAY? If not, isn't it better to go with another manufacturer or wait in the dark until a Malkoff becomes available?

I've visited Gene's site dozens of times in the past year. I'm sorry, but every item I was interested in was always out of stock. A Maglight Solitare in hand is better than an unavailable Malkoff Super Mark 29 Bin 6.7 3,500 lumins 1.25 volt flood.

Preach it.

I sure would like to buy a Malkoff M60 MC-E.

Unavailable. Sold out. Can't purchase it if they are not in stock.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I sure would like to buy a Malkoff M60 MC-E.
Unavailable. Sold out. Can't purchase it if they are not in stock.
A valid point. I did a qty.3 Malkoff drop-in order when one or two of them were not in stock, so I just e-mailed Gene, and all three were together in ~1-2 weeks and subsequently sent out to me. So that works, but I agree it's not optimum.

A better solution might be like Lighthound does it. You can order a backordered item along with items that are in stock, then leave instructions in the text entry block to hold shipping until the order is complete (if you'd like). Works great, and would be a good solution for M with inconsistent product availability.

The thing is, until late last year, Malkoff had basically seven drop-ins: M60, M60L, M60LL, the three Flood versions, and the M30 for special order. He's added one heck of a lot of products since then, and from reading CPF, it seems like he is not compromising on quality at all. I expect that he's had his hands pretty full recently and that things should get back to normal? I of course can't speak for him but that's my two lumens at least.

Last edited:

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
A valid point. I did a qty.3 Malkoff drop-in order when one or two of them were not in stock, so I just e-mailed Gene, and all three were together in ~1-2 weeks and subsequently sent out to me. So that works, but I agree it's not optimum.

I will try an email to Gene. Good suggestion.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try an email to Gene. Good suggestion.

It is the only way. I have purchased close to 10 Malkoff Drop-ins and none were ever in stock. Thats right. None.

I just called or emailed him. Within a week I would have my drop-ins. Granted; I always ordered the weird stuff P60 P7, M30WF, M60LLF, M30, MC-E Warm on Direct Drive, ect.........

Just email or call; Gene is great to deal with and you will find the sold out doesn't apply to those who take the time to call or email him.

Best of luck,
Jose

batvette

Newly Enlightened
Look, there are a lot of people on here with a great deal of smarts and expertise. All the lights suggested are great lights, no doubt. However, this light will fill one highly specialized need....That of a Corrections Officer. I know I'm new here, so let me help to explain what he needs it for. Then, maybe everyone can collectively come up with a better light than me.

A Corrections Officer (CO1 or CO2) is, for all intents and purposes, in prison for 8 to 12 hours a day. We basically live with inmates for 8 to 12 hours a day. These are real people with families and friends who come to visit. They're not monsters (some are, to be sure). For your safety, the safety of others, and on the basis of good morals and ethics, the CO1 needs to treat every inmate with respect. 16 hours a day most inmates are allowed to roam freely within the confines of their respective blocks. They have keys to their cells, and the ability to congregate freely during those times. It's not like the movies where they are locked in a cell with a cell door made out of bars. It's a door with a 3X18 inch window we can look into. That light will be used ALOT to toss an inmates cell looking for contraband, so a bright o'l hotspot will just help to mask contraband behind an eye-burning hotspot at less than 3 feet.

Now, let's say this guy works at a level 5 penitentiary. That's maximum security, with murderers, rapists, and the worst of the worst. Most will never get out, and have nothing better to do than spend all day thinking of ways to get back at the "cops" and the CO2 will fit that bill nicely. So the OP needs to treat them all like men, and try not to **** anyone off. That leads me to my suggestion of the Malkoff M60W MC-E.

The OP can't just shine a light in an inmate's eyes that has a hot spot soo bright that it burns retinas. That's just going to upset the inmate, and all 50 of his Arian Brotherhood friends! He needs a light, like he said, that is pure flood. No hotspot at all. For the confines of a prison, there is no need for throw any further than 140 feet. We have spotlights for the yard and the bug zapper fences. And at as close to 400 lumens as possible, he is now limited to an MC-E or a P7 in a host that can handle 2 or 3 18650's.

My suggesting is for the Malkoff M60Warm MC-E dropin. It's been sold out for a while but can be special ordered my calling Gene Malkoff. Then get a Fivemega 2x18650 or Leef 2x18650 from lighthound.com, some AW 18650 batteries and a charger. Get an extension tube to stretch it to 3 18650's if you want, but I would imagine that the 2x18650 will get the job done. Just keep the extention tube tucked away in the control pod.

SO there it is guys, those are some of the reasons why he needs a pure flood light with 2 or 3 18650 capability.

I rarely "yes man", but that was an outstanding and informative post.

electric sheep

Enlightened
If by vicarious ability i put myself in the scenario described i would take my Dereelight and set it to medium(memory remembers last mode) or low for most activity and switch to high when i need the whole area illuminated. I see no reason not to get the Dereelight.

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
I now have a Malkoff M60W MC-E Warm on its way to me. Wwwooo!!!

Off to start a new thread on a new topic, yet related. :popcorn:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your first statement regarding 1-3 samples, but have to disagree with your second assumption. The failure rate of a product cannot be determined with such a small and insignificant sample size, HOWEVER, the build quality, design, engineering, individual component quality, materials used, etc. can be determined using small sample sizes. Of course, it would be comparing those exact samples used for the comparison, not new products that have gone through design, supplier, materials, etc. changes. But, it will give an idea of the differences in the products.

Will those differences lead to the early failure of one product versus the other? Who knows, maybe. If you knew what was "inside" of the products, would you choose the one that had better materials, design, build quality? That's a decision for the buyer based on needs and price.

It's really a shame you made an offer you never intended to fulfill. Sounds like you were just throwing BS around hoping no one would call you on it. And you're the one who keeps calling people McFly.:shakehead

I would have to agree with you and Kestrel on all points. I have only been doing failure analysis on military electronic systems for the last 27 years. We typically only put 1 system through a qual level testing under very specific harsh conditions of thermal cycling, vibration, shock, etc. When it fails we study it and find the cause, and look to make design improvements, process improvements, etc. A strong (robust) design up front that holds up to use and abuse is the very definition of quality. Something that lacks proper heatsinking, mechanical strength, poor choice of metals that will corrode and lose conductivity, it doesn't take a large sample batch to see that. How many DX products have we seen people here say it ran for 7 minutes or 7 days then died. That's not quality.

Had the offer been valid and the HID been worth the time I was considering running destructive level testing on units I would have bought to run. Taking them up to 100F, down, to -40F, testing the regulators at their full voltage range through a DC power supply, measuring lumens output at the beginning and then after say 500 hours of run time under the thermal cycling. Then doing drop tests from 3 ft, 4 ft, 5 ft. I have a lot of experience at doing destructive tests, I am sure I could have found something that I just won't mention here.

It would not have been so "subjective". But I am not going to bust my chops and equipment for a Biff who is just "throwing the BS". I know a lot of people would like to see that type of testing anyway but they aren't the ones doing the test or sacrificing their lights in the name of research and knowledge.

harddrive

Enlightened
For any type of LEO work I prefer a single mode light (or one with mode changes via head twist). I think lights that change levels by clicking tail cap are to easy to accidentally change modes which has the potential to be very dangerous.

As far as I know the Dereelight MC-E module is only available as a three mode? If so I'd rule that out straight away. I really like Dereelight gear and use a single stage Q5 module in my primary duty light. I'd trust Dereelight but only a single stage version.

Other things to consider:

*(As other have suggested) a M60F is probably more than bright enough for what you want.
*You could buy a new lens with quality light diffusing film from flashlightlens.com for you Surefire bezel and use what ever drop in you want and have great flood.
*You could buy a beam filter for your light and have great flood.

I'm sure a Malkoff MC-E would be great but it seems like getting hold of one could be a little difficult in the short term and may be overkill for you want to do.

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight does have a single mode MC-E, the 1SM. The 3SM is the only one mentioned on Alans site. I did exchange a few e-mails back and forth with him about his MC-E, but the word here is to go Malkoff all the way which I did.

Just need to find a host I will be happy with now. Not sure to go leef, fivemega with 2 x 18650's or pick up a SF C3 and run3 x rcr123's

N/Apower

Enlightened
Heatsinking, build quality, materials used, overall runtime, Lumen Curve, ect....I actually would like to see the outcome of this potentiall bet. The last one with the E2DL was fun to follow and MrGman lost that one if that helps...lovecpf
I am half-way considering taking him up on the bet as well. Everyone who knows me knows that I don't take a bet unless it's rather favorable for me to do so.

Oops...resurrection :(

My fault