Maratac AAA Cu tarnish progression

mzil

Enlightened
However, if it's the Maratac brand name you're after, that's a different issue.
No, its not the brand name. I was just commenting I'd prefer owning/using the Maratac AAA to the Mac EDC, that's all. I was offering an alternative opinion, in response to the post above mine where Toohotruk spoke of liking your light:
Definitely beautiful, and I'd LOVE to have one, but... :broke:

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a particular environment or handling that facilitates tarnishing? It's been a couple months since I polished it and my Maratac still looks pretty shiny. It resides in my desk drawer when not in use in a low humidity location.

fyrstormer

Banned
Is there a particular environment or handling that facilitates tarnishing? It's been a couple months since I polished it and my Maratac still looks pretty shiny. It resides in my desk drawer when not in use in a low humidity location.
Humid air with sulfur dioxide. If it's salt air, even better.

mzil

Enlightened
What I liked about the original version was that one could use a 10440 battery on "medium" for as long as one wanted (and it had greater brightness, on par with with using a 1.5 V battery on "high") as well as the high voltage 10440 on "high" for turbo mode, althouth only for a short time due to over heating. Now that there are only two brightness settings on rev #2, not three, that is lost. :(

Disclaimer: "10440 batts not recomended"

Last edited:

Rees

Enlightened
Disclaimer: "10440 batts not recomended"

Someone correct me if im wrong, but I thought it has always said that on their website that 10440 is not recommended. Its not recommended because like the last one its not made to handle 10440, but in small doses you may not cook it.

mzil

Enlightened
Correct, it has always said "not recommended", that's not new, but with the new lo/high only options (no medium) you have no means to have a fairly bright flashlight for extended use (when using a 10440). That's what the "Medium" setting on the first version gives you.

I don't own a rev. 2 Maratac AAA (I only have the original), but I assume with a 10440 battery on "High" it will get hot quickly and can only be used for brief periods of time, and on "Low" you wouldn't want an increase in brightness anyways because you want to preserve night vision. Even if it can handle a 10440 for short bursts only, having a flashlight that losses the ability to just stay on for extended periods with a reasonable, typical brightness, without fear of it burning out, (except in the dimmest mode) makes little sense to me in terms of how I personally use flashlights. YMMV.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone correct me if im wrong, but I thought it has always said that on their website that 10440 is not recommended. Its not recommended because like the last one its not made to handle 10440, but in small doses you may not cook it.
You are correct, but mzil has a point.
With the old 3 mode, you can run it forever in medium mode with a 10440. It's bright without getting too hot.

On the bright side, I got the new 2 mode version today, and i cant detect any pwm i:thumbsup: yey :) Seems to be current controlled.

Lo mode is pretty bright with a IMR 10440. Seems to be in the ballpark of the medium modes in "standard 3 mode lights". Useful bright.
High mode is as always, amazing and heats up. So with the new version, you loose a proper lo mode (and a long running "bright" mode) when using a (not recomended) 10440.

The old version had 3 clips and 3 keychain rings, new got one set.
Edit. the old keychain ring is bendt different and has more spring to it than the new one. Mutch better fit. The new one was loose and ratteling. I think it got a less hardened steel. It got bendt and ended up ratteling everytime i put it back on. One of my spare keychainrings from ver1 fits like a champ. It klings on there like a baby on a gorilla.. zero room for moving. :)

Last edited:

cprrckwlf

Newly Enlightened
Just got one of the new lights in the and I was viewing the thread to see how these lights look once they tarnish.

I did notice a couple of differences between the pics here and the new light: the head no longer says "Cu", but instead Maratac AAA. (I can't get ye olde cell camera to focus in on it, but I'll post a pic once I can get the DSLR out, so that everyone can see and I can record tarnish progression.) Also, the newer light (at least mine) shipped in a little magnetic latch, flip-top case instead of the little sealed foil pack. Didn't mean it was pre tarnished, unfortunately, but getting to watch it will be neat.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
An I missing some thing here? Copper tarnishes, all Copper tarnishes. There are products that will clean up the tarnishing, and some products will slow down tarnishing significantly.

Bill

BTW. I received my Cu Maratac a couple of weeks ago, and I will work with the taranishing issues.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
An I missing some thing here? Copper tarnishes, all Copper tarnishes. There are products that will clean up the tarnishing, and some products will slow down tarnishing significantly.

Bill

BTW. I received my Cu Maratac a couple of weeks ago, and I will work with the taranishing issues.

I will say I think some of the really tarnished ones look kinda cool. it depends, but i do wanna buy a second one to keep polished. iirc there's a thread in the collecting forum with some really good pics of tarnished copper lights :D

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill

I think the idea of this thread is that most people (at least on this thread), actually want their Cu light to tarnish. :shrug:

cprrckwlf

Newly Enlightened
maratac_aaa_120830.jpg

As promised, here is a shot showing the updated markings on the current revision of these lights. . . personally I wish it still had the Cu, but I'll take what I can get.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I'm guna get 2 of these id like to use one and keep the other nice. What ways are there to stop it from tarnishing could you like clear coat it or something?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that Renaissance Wax would work well. Google it. It's used by the British Museum. I'm letting mine age per the title of this thread. So far looks ok.

Bill