Maratac AAA Cu tarnish progression

Max_Power

Enlightened
"Can I borrow your light?"

"You really don't want to use this light."

"Why not?"

"You don't want to know."

I recently bought a maratac copper AAA and aluminum AA, and gave my mom first choice. She went straight for the copper. Now it lives in the bottom of her purse. Good thing I put an eneloop in it, so it won't pee all over the innards like an alkaline cell would.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Can I borrow your light?"

"You really don't want to use this light."

"Why not?"

"You don't want to know."

I recently bought a maratac copper AAA and aluminum AA, and gave my mom first choice. She went straight for the copper. Now it lives in the bottom of her purse. Good thing I put an eneloop in it, so it won't pee all over the innards like an alkaline cell would.

:crackup:

Much pee around here...

Why not put an L92 in mom's copper light? If she doesn't use it often, it would be 1st choice for me!

Max_Power

Enlightened
Already had the eneloops, and the lithium AAAs are too expensive. The light hardly ever gets used. But it's always available, and eneloops take years to self-discharge.

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to convince myself to buy this light, and am really curious to see the progression of the tarnishing today. Got any new pics? :)

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
You should get one, they are quite beautiful. Mine came out of the sealed package with a perfect thumbprint already starting the tarnish process. I'm actually trying to keep it bright and shiny for a while, after that gets old I'll let it go the way of nature.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't like the natural corrosion look, toothpaste will clean the tarnish right off... just rub it with your fingers then rinse it under water... Colgate works great... Simichrome is better but more expensive...

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
Mine is set to arrive today. I can't wait to dirty it up! :naughty:

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
Mine is set to arrive today. I can't wait to dirty it up! :naughty:

Well, never mind. I just tracked the package and it's still in CA. Kind of disappointed that CountyComm took a week to actually ship it out when I received an email on the 23rd that it had been shipped and was due to arrive today. The new delivery date is next Thursday…

According to CountyComm there was a four day hold up at the local UPS hub. :ironic:

Last edited:

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting anxiously for my AAA Cu to show up on my door. Its out for delivery. :twothumbs:rock:

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
Now that I've had a few days with this light I can honestly say that I love it. Here's a few pics of its tarnish progression.

Day 1, fresh out of the package:

1ae44e37.jpg

Day 2 looked about the same, so here's day 3:

f1b39a74.jpg

And here's a macro of day 3. The laser etched lettering was the first to begin tarnishing:

ddd90a43.jpg

Day 5:

135070f1.jpg

Sorry, didn't have my macro setup with me, so here's a close cropped shot of the logo:

4e0f37fc.jpg

e14efe9d.jpg

I'll update with a new photo in a few days. I'm really loving the way this thing is looking.

Timbo

Newly Enlightened
just got one of these, is it only flashaholics who look forward to something becoming tarnished and worn looking :) lol
I love the finish on the light but I think with time its going to look great (in a retro way). This is going to replace my current LD01 stainless EDC.
I did a quick video of mine http://youtu.be/BwmTn2_3iF4

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
just got one of these, is it only flashaholics who look forward to something becoming tarnished and worn looking :) lol
I love the finish on the light but I think with time its going to look great (in a retro way). This is going to replace my current LD01 stainless EDC.
I did a quick video of mine http://youtu.be/BwmTn2_3iF4

Great video!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I found one of my Cu Maratac's and here's what it looked like a couple days ago. We're working on the gardens right now and it provided the backdrop for these pics.
P1100076.jpg

P1100084.jpg

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Look at the pennies in your pocket and understand that copper being handled on a regular basis is never going to be green. If you want it green, just lay it out by the compost pile and leave it for a decade. If you don't want green, just use it.

I've said this same point quite a few times, that all you need to do to get an idea of what they'll look like is to compare them to an older penny which has been in constant circulation.

They are noticeably heavier, but in a tiny light like this, it's kind of a nice feeling with the added weight.
Here's mine after a few months.

cu.jpg
This picture reminded me of people asking what they were going to look like after they'd been in use a while. That is the best looking one to date and I'm surprised I didn't think of it too!

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
This thread needs more pictures!

Approx. 1 week of riding around in my pocket:
marataccutarnish800x600.jpg

I don't know if it'll ever hit Statue of Liberty green with the constant agitation, but in < 7 days it's already looking pretty cool!

That really is the way: Stick it in the pocket and use it. That has done wonders for my brass McKinley - Love this one!