MBI #3 - Codename: HF

Clam

Newly Enlightened
That looks awesome, i will definitely be placing an order, hopefully before they are all gone

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
takemymoney.jpg

+1 hahaha

-Alex

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

You are all as crazy as me!!
Nice to be in such good company :D

I've updated post #1 with some lux bounce shots to give you an idea of what HF entails :devil:

About the update, let me explain that a few weeks back I merged the Torpedo & CoreTi mailing lists into one called the MBI Insiders.
I have respected everyone's preferences as they were, meaning if you subscribed for only Torpedo updates, those are the only ones I will send unless you change your preference and grant me permission to send you other updates.
(Sorry but I hope you know I'm a very proper kind'a'guy when it comes to such things.)

You can however easily change your preference buy clicking in the subscribe link in my signature, enter your email address and if you are registered, the system will tell you so, and it should then offer to let you update your preferences after which you can see previously sent updates too.

There is now an option to "send me all MBI updates" and if you choose it, you will receive any and all updates I send out (which is usually less than 1x per month unless there is something very worthy of sending).

Hi,

I just read the update upon this creation, all I can say is I think you picked the perfect name.
I will take one of these in addition to the Torpedo when they are available.
xpshooter

Hi xpshooter,

Thanks and glad to hear you were able to see the update ;)

Looks great! If you come out with an aluminum one let us know!
Hi RCantor,
Thanks for following this too ;)
Will definitely let you know.

I was seriously thinking a very limited, one-time quantity but after the first production run, I may just have to succumb and do a limited run in aluminum for my trusted advisors here on cpf. Will see how it goes.

Wow,
Really cool Guy.
I'll take one ;) (or two, or three, ...)
GL
Hi GL,

Thank you sir as always :)

I think I speak for most when I say that this is going to be epic! I'm down to try one out for sure pending tint options.. So will there be any? It seems like I didn't get the update.

Hi Diablo,
Epic :)
Initial run will be U2 but if I can sneak a few warmer bins in there Im willing to do it.
Sorry you didn't receive the update (explained above).

Incredible! Definitely interested in one as well!
Thanks mrbickelsworth :thumbsup:

Looks... Incredible. Only decision for me is whether I'm going to edc it on a keyring or in a pocket... Please count me in for one, Guy. Thanks again, reading the thousands of posts for the MBI torpedo and core (and I've read them all) has been like a science fiction novel for flashaholics!
Hi Endalaus,
So glad it gives you some enjoyment :)
Anticipation is always an exciting part of buying new products.

Very cool - count me in!
Hi vx000,
Thanks, counted ;)

Guy,

This is fantastic! I am in for 2. You are really starting to innovate the otherwise stagnant flashlight industry. I thank you, kind sir for pushing the limits of what can be done, both with size, output and technology. Also, it looks like your anodizing skills have really started to flourish.
If you keep this up, I will be asking you to take all my money! Is there anyway to put 2 aside for me?
Thanks,
OnTheLake

Hi OnTheLake,

Thanks for your continued support ;)
I can put 2 aside for you!
Hoping to have a pre-order page ready by next weekend, once I confirm a firm delivery date for both the HF and the 10250 batteries, which are the secret sauce that makes the HF possible.

Hi romteb,
Thanks and nice pic, LOL :crackup:

Any chance of DLC-coated option ?
Hi archimedes,
There's always a chance though beyond using an optical grade epoxy to achieve a DLC type effect, I have not had any further experience with that. Happy to try anything, just about anytime :thumbsup:

That looks awesome, i will definitely be placing an order, hopefully before they are all gone
Hi Clam,
Thanks and glad you appreciate it too ;)

+1 hahaha
-Alex

Thanks Alex :D

I humbly declare you all to be as crazy as I am and most definitely "aficionados extraordinaire" to even consider wanting one of these :devil:

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, do I really need to chime in and let you know that I, too, would dearly love to have one of these tiny ti titillations? Make almost anything in Ti and dangle it in front of me and I'll drool, which I think you already know! Shame on you! How will I ever get that lens I'm wanting? Gone all day shooting a wedding and come home to find this new enticement! Aaaaggghh! More waiting, more scrambling to arrange funds in paypal, you're a terrible man and I now see why you hide your real name! :)

Excellent work Guy, truly excellent work!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, do I really need to chime in and let you know that I, too, would dearly love to have one of these tiny ti titillations? Make almost anything in Ti and dangle it in front of me and I'll drool, which I think you already know! Shame on you! How will I ever get that lens I'm wanting? Gone all day shooting a wedding and come home to find this new enticement! Aaaaggghh! More waiting, more scrambling to arrange funds in paypal, you're a terrible man and I now see why you hide your real name! :)

Excellent work Guy, truly excellent work!

Hi DBC,

Thanks.
I hope the wedding shoot went well and yes, now you know why I must keep my identity hidden.
Its so that all the cpf wives don't hunt me down :crackup:

I'd buy that for a dollar! (or in this case, whatever you're asking :D)
Just hope I get in before they're gone!

Hi Hamaremon,
Thanks very much :thumbsup:

tgwnn

emu124

Enlightened
:takeit:

One question: in the MBI Insider you mentioned that the HF can tailstand (which I really like) even with a lanyard attached.
When I look at your pictures, I don't see how this will work with this tail design... although I'm sure you have a solution for this :cool:
Do you have pics which can enlighten me ?

:thanks:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
:takeit:

One question: in the MBI Insider you mentioned that the HF can tailstand (which I really like) even with a lanyard attached.
When I look at your pictures, I don't see how this will work with this tail design... although I'm sure you have a solution for this :cool:
Do you have pics which can enlighten me ?

:thanks:

Hi Emu,

Thanks very much.

There is a small groove at the top, above the lanyard attachment hole

file-1.jpg

When you attach the lanyard and tailstand it, the groove provides just enough space to let you tailstand the HF with the lanyard attached as below.

b4179adc-2e2d-e28c.jpg

With the right sized split ring attached, the ring can also fit around the outside of the HF, also allowing it to tailstand, similar to this....

IMG_0342.jpg

Does that make any sense?

I can post some additional pics later if needed.

Thanks,
tgwnn

Last edited:

emu124

Enlightened
With the right sized split ring attached, the ring can also fit around the outside of the HF, also allowing it to tailstand, similar to this....

IMG_0342.jpg

Does that make any sense?

I can post some additional pics later if needed.

Thanks,
tgwnn

Thanks TGWNN
I prefer a split ring for lanyard attachement. But I think it would need a ring that is shaped like a "D" to move it to the side like the red split ring in the pic above.
I had (and still have) this problem with Kuku's 38/40/44DD's and it's quite hard to find a ring that works with these tail design.
But wait... maybe you could provide such a D-shaped ring with the light :poke::D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks TGWNN
I prefer a split ring for lanyard attachement. But I think it would need a ring that is shaped like a "D" to move it to the side like the red split ring in the pic above.
I had (and still have) this problem with Kuku's 38/40/44DD's and it's quite hard to find a ring that works with these tail design.
But wait... maybe you could provide such a D-shaped ring with the light :poke::D

Hi Emu,

Thanks for the reply.
Excellent idea!!

Let me see if I can track down or make the perfect D shaped split ring!!
Then the groove at the top is less of an issue, and of course it would be a perfect fit for the Torpedo as well.

There are plenty of D shaped rings available but a split D ring would be awesome.
Now I have my mission set for tomorrow :thumbsup:

Tgwnn

Tofty

Enlightened
Really nice little design, i'm interested in one.
Also like the idea of a DLC option but i suspect the minimum unit coating requirement will be a far higher number than you plan to produce.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also like the idea of a DLC option but i suspect the minimum unit coating requirement will be a far higher number than you plan to produce.

Hi Tofty,

Thanks.
Re: DLC, yes, that may be the case unless its homebrewed ;)
If you have any examples of products I could use as a reference for the type of finish, please do let me know.

I tested a D-shaped split ring.
It fits just fine but there is a lot more play (sliding action) on the ring as the mount point is a few mm compared to about 15mm of the ring.

A more standard oval shaped split ring might work better, with less play, and these are more readily available.
In carry mode, the oval ring would be elongated (vertical), and when you need to tailstand it, just slide it so its horizontal.

I made a quick test version pictured below to give you an idea....

below: oval split ring, in carry mode
ovalring1.jpg

below: oval split ring, in tailstand mode
ovalring2.jpg

what do you think?

tgwnn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that oval ring is a winner! Are they available in ti? Or maybe stainless steel would be easier to find.

-Alex

Tofty

Enlightened
I was thinking of a coating similar to the one used by leatherman on some of their higher end multitools.

LeathermanSkeletoolCXWave3P.jpg

However these chemical vapor deposition (CVD) processes require: Very contolled environments, high temperatures (300-2000 degrees celcius) and complex gases of even plasmas to work.
And with the diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating being one of the most complex processes i rather doubt it could be achieved anywhere other than in the very expensive machines designed for the purpose.
Might be worth sending an email to a company that offer a coating service just to confirm that it would be ruinously expensive to have done.

As for the split ring issue; i made a small keychain torch a while ago with a similar tail design that allows the light to be attached to a 20mm mcgizmo clip.

B1AAA-1126P.jpg

Not really a solution to any split ring issues but could be an alternative way of securing the light which can be easily detached, leaving it free to tail-stand.
Just a thought.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi archimedes,
There's always a chance though beyond using an optical grade epoxy to achieve a DLC type effect, I have not had any further experience with that. Happy to try anything, just about anytime :thumbsup:
....tgwnn

Hi Tofty,

Thanks.
Re: DLC, yes, that may be the case unless its homebrewed ;)
If you have any examples of products I could use as a reference for the type of finish, please do let me know....
tgwnn

....I was thinking of a coating similar to the one used by leatherman on some of their higher end multitools....

However these chemical vapor deposition (CVD) processes require: Very contolled environments, high temperatures (300-2000 degrees celcius) and complex gases of even plasmas to work.
And with the diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating being one of the most complex processes i rather doubt it could be achieved anywhere other than in the very expensive machines designed for the purpose.
Might be worth sending an email to a company that offer a coating service just to confirm that it would be ruinously expensive to have done....

Sending you a PM, tgwnn :devil:

Flyflash

Newly Enlightened
Looks great! Will you have a supply of Cottonpickers chargers available for sale when the HF pre-buy page goes up? I remember you mentioned something in the Torpedo thread about getting chargers from him.

MT_155

Newly Enlightened
Holy !!!
I'll be after one of these, purely as a spare 10280 battery holder for the Torpedo of course....

xpshooter

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I also prefer to have lights attached with rings. This is one thing I really like about my 4sevens preon revo SS.

I would really love to see some sort of ring for this light and the torpedo.

I think it is Great that TGWNN takes feedback and looks for a solution.

xpshooter

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that oval ring is a winner! Are they available in ti? Or maybe stainless steel would be easier to find.
-Alex
Hi Alex,

Stainless looks to be available. Ti would be a custom thing so for now, as speed is important on the HF, I'll try and track down some SS ovals.

I was thinking of a coating similar to the one used by leatherman on some of their higher end multitools.
Might be worth sending an email to a company that offer a coating service just to confirm that it would be ruinously expensive to have done.

As for the split ring issue; i made a small keychain torch a while ago with a similar tail design that allows the light to be attached to a 20mm mcgizmo clip.

Not really a solution to any split ring issues but could be an alternative way of securing the light which can be easily detached, leaving it free to tail-stand.
Just a thought.

Hi Tofty,

Thanks for posting that.
Looks like an expensive process, perhaps something to consider once I have the HF's and if there is enough demand at such a price point.

In regards to the split ring, I think a standard round type might just fit as well, especially as the production version HF will have a smaller overall diameter. Will test and see what I can find. Happy to included a nicely suited split ring with the HF as the default.

Sending you a PM, tgwnn :devil:
Hi archimedes,
Thanks very much. Reply sent :thumbsup:

Looks great! Will you have a supply of Cottonpickers chargers available for sale when the HF pre-buy page goes up? I remember you mentioned something in the Torpedo thread about getting chargers from him.
Hi Flyflash,
Cottonpickers permitting, yes for sure!

Holy !!!
I'll be after one of these, purely as a spare 10280 battery holder for the Torpedo of course....
HI MT_155,
Thanks. With zero parasitic drain, the HF makes a perfect battery holder ;)

tgwnn