MBI #3 - Codename: HF

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy has a split ring that will fold over and let it tail stand but he's not happy with it. Hence the gate clip in reverse so that the tail will be free and clear. That also makes sense to be able to put it inside the case, tailstand it then in the case case for emergency lighting or tent lighting or waving in F-14's, something like that.

Dale

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point dale. I didnt know the oval split rings didnt make the cut. After I get the HF i will have to so some searching myself.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had a :ohgeez:realisation moment.

Guy: if you make a tail with a switch, wouldn't that make it possible to have 4 modes? or 3 with a "lockout" or "momentary high only"? That would pretty much combine all the features that have been discussed for that clicky tail (aside the 5MM LED cap :D)

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

A quick post to say I woke up with a fever yesterday and for the most part a little useless.
hoping to pick up cases etc this afternoon if I can make the drive out to get them, just wanted to let you know I havent gone MIA or anything.

tgwnn

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rest as needed, we want you to be in good shape for your future projects (talk about being self-centered right here!) But seriously, health comes before anything else.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take care of yourself Guy!

Rest as needed, we want you to be in good shape for your future projects (talk about being self-centered right here!) But seriously, health comes before anything else.

Thanks guys,

Feeling a little better though the hallucinative dreams that come with fever were interesting.
Planning to collect packages later today.

I agree with Alex, a ring into the HF with the gate clip attached to the ring so that the light can be dismounted/reattached to a keyring in an instant.

Off to the "studio" !

Dale

Good luck with the pictures!!!!! We are all excited.

I think this is the way I'll handle it too. The clip is only of value as a quick release tool for me. Only hesitation is the loss of tailstanding ability. I can't remember, was there ever a split-ring solution found for that issue?

Guy has a split ring that will fold over and let it tail stand but he's not happy with it. Hence the gate clip in reverse so that the tail will be free and clear. That also makes sense to be able to put it inside the case, tailstand it then in the case case for emergency lighting or tent lighting or waving in F-14's, something like that.

Dale

I think this is the way I'll handle it too. The clip is only of value as a quick release tool for me. Only hesitation is the loss of tailstanding ability. I can't remember, was there ever a split-ring solution found for that issue?

Good point dale. I didnt know the oval split rings didnt make the cut. After I get the HF i will have to so some searching myself.

About the split rings....
The ones I found that were the right shape, were too thick to fit in the hole.
The thinner ones, were just a little too small to overlap the edge for tailstand.

I have one where the size barely fits into the hole but after some solid wrestling and scratches, didn't seem like the perfect solution.

The quick-release clips, seem really perfect in that they are very easy to attach and really just as easy to detach.
With about 3 seconds of practice, you can do either easily in under <1 second.

I thought hard about tailstanding and how I've been using the HF, and also from time to time wanting to use it inside of the HF Alum Case.
With a split ring, I'd have to wrestle for 5-10min and usually at least need a screwdriver/pliers or something to pull it off.
With the current mini-clip, I can remove the HF from my keyring in under a second so I can tailstand it (which I may have done just once so far) but mainly when people ask to see it, I don't have to hand them all my keys, etc.

The other alternative I tried as mentioned also was a 1.5mm ballchain.
This is nice, perhaps even as a necklace too. It would let you tailstand without removal as well.
Thing is with chains, there is a little too much swing for my liking on a keychain.

Let me see if I can post a video.

I know some things look good on paper, but in real EDC, the mini-clip was the clear winner all things being considered.

One final thing to mention is there were some split rings, where if I cut some of the ring (so that there was a larger area of single ring instead of overlapping double ring) it was borderline ok in terms of size, but just didn't look as nice.

I just had a :ohgeez:realisation moment.

Guy: if you make a tail with a switch, wouldn't that make it possible to have 4 modes? or 3 with a "lockout" or "momentary high only"? That would pretty much combine all the features that have been discussed for that clicky tail (aside the 5MM LED cap :D)

Hi Cataract,

Im still not thinking straight enough just yet so allow me to say "maybe" :D (just in case)

tgwnn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it seems I missed your long post about the split rings. You may have me convinced your way is better. Which is something I should have known from the beginning. Disregard my idea, yours is better.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
By normally I just mean by the eyelet so I can clip the light to things itself.

Well it seems I missed your long post about the split rings. You may have me convinced your way is better. Which is something I should have known from the beginning. Disregard my idea, yours is better.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for clearing it up.
Not sure if my way is better but definitely seeming the most convenient/practical to me.

There were some bigger lobster claws that fit too but I was not so happy with the quality (they bent a little too easily).

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I must be missing something, but I don't see why the hole for mounting couldn't be just that little bit bigger to allow the right mechanism to work. I like the looks of the small gate clip, fast and easy. As long as it's strong enough. Then again, why not just mount a super-magnet and attach it however you wish to whatever (iron) you wish! :) I know the magnets used in a hard drive are very strong, hard to remove from..say..a locker door by hand. But yeah yeah, I know, would I want my prized posession dangling from a magnet? Titanium all the way Baby! lol I'm sure you'll figure something out, or make it! ;)

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I must be missing something, but I don't see why the hole for mounting couldn't be just that little bit bigger to allow the right mechanism to work. I like the looks of the small gate clip, fast and easy. As long as it's strong enough. Then again, why not just mount a super-magnet and attach it however you wish to whatever (iron) you wish! :) I know the magnets used in a hard drive are very strong, hard to remove from..say..a locker door by hand. But yeah yeah, I know, would I want my prized posession dangling from a magnet? Titanium all the way Baby! lol I'm sure you'll figure something out, or make it! ;)

Dale
Hi DBC,

A little bigger here and a little bigger there :)
every mm counts....
It started off as a 1mm hole, then expanded to 2mm but stopped it there to save adding yet an extra mm to the length.

Magnets, sure that could be possible but we'll have to ask Alex to test it at 4G.

MAGNETS! YES!!!!!! Next light eh? Something magnetized?

Will send you the test unit when ready ;)

Received 200 cases and another large batch of HF's.
going through QC and hope to be packing and then sending out the first batch by tomorrow.

Another batch expected middle of next week, which should cover all orders with the exception of any reserved serials that get rejected, which usually take 2 weeks to go back to the workshop, be replaced/fixed, then returned.

Got 2 UV (nail) units running side by side, 1 low power for semi-curing, 1 high power for zap-curing.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys,

Feeling a little better though the hallucinative dreams that come with fever were interesting.
Planning to collect packages later today.

I find that fever dreams are very entertaining, I sometimes wish for a repeat or a sequel. Glad to see you're a little better.

Hi Cataract,

Im still not thinking straight enough just yet so allow me to say "maybe" :D (just in case)

tgwnn

Take your time... I know you'll find a way to surprise us again :)

wyldthng

Newly Enlightened
Wow, 2 days away from CPF and I miss a whole bunch! The spring clip idea is great. I like being able to unclip the HF and tail stand it. It might be different for someone with large hands...... The clip also makes using the case easier, I assume. I will probably use the case a fair amount as I travel and it is am excellent way of bringing backup batteries along. The push button tail is awesome, I love it!
Keep up the great work and ideas Guy!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that fever dreams are very entertaining, I sometimes wish for a repeat or a sequel. Glad to see you're a little better.

Take your time... I know you'll find a way to surprise us again :)

Hi Cataract,

I was sure I had the DNA strands and Davinci code all worked out and it made perfect sense in 3D.
A day later, struggling to understand it :)

May I be the first to say :twothumbs WOOHOO!!!!

ANd congrats!!

Hi smokelaw1,

Congrats to all of us!!
need to check on your tail but all the ones that came back look good, just need to make sure they function properly too as I discovered one, that looks fine, but magically only works when being rotated in a one direction and not the other.

Wow, 2 days away from CPF and I miss a whole bunch! The spring clip idea is great. I like being able to unclip the HF and tail stand it. It might be different for someone with large hands...... The clip also makes using the case easier, I assume. I will probably use the case a fair amount as I travel and it is am excellent way of bringing backup batteries along. The push button tail is awesome, I love it!
Keep up the great work and ideas Guy!

Welcome Back wyldthng,

The clip is nice, maybe a little small for very big hands (or gloved hands).
I tried some other split rings and nothing as good as the clip.
A bigger lobster claw would be ok too (just need yet to find one of a quality I'd be willing to send)

tgwnn