MBI #3 - Codename: HF

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh, 3 10440 bodies threaded together! Lovely! Now that's a fantastic pen light! ;) Don't have more than 1 so didn't think in those terms, lol. Nice. Oh Guuuuuyyyy! What'll it take to add a couple of Ti 10440 bodies to my order? :) As a matter of thinking ahead, 2 of them threaded together and capped on both ends would be a great way to carry 3 Nukes for spares! With proper spacers and end protection of course. Excellent thinking there GL, thanks for waking me up on that! And then Guy can come up with a big turbo head to stick on it for extended run times and we'd all be delirious with possibilities!!! lol

Dale
Hi,
With everyone's support and help, Guy will acheive and surpass most of the modern flashlight companies of the Day :eek:oo:.
Let's give it a few days for the first wave of HF's to make it into those hands of everyone. Pictures and posting words of the HF do not do it justice.
I am blessed to know him personally, I will not speak for him, and can only thank him for doing and making what others do not dare to make ;).
Let's pause a bit, wait for the first shipments to be received, and then reflect upon everyone else's input. It's not a race, but all about everyone being satisfied and sharing thier input, satisfaction, and thier ideas to make what is even better. I can not think of a better business model than Guy has been persueing.
Thanks Guy :bow: :popcorn:
GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
With everyone's support and help, Guy will acheive and surpass most of the modern flashlight companies of the Day :eek:oo:.
Let's give it a few days for the first wave of HF's to make it into those hands of everyone. Pictures and posting words of the HF do not do it justice.
I am blessed to know him personally, I will not speak for him, and can only thank him for doing and making what others do not dare to make ;).
Let's pause a bit, wait for the first shipments to be received, and then reflect upon everyone else's input. It's not a race, but all about everyone being satisfied and sharing thier input, satisfaction, and thier ideas to make what is even better. I can not think of a better business model than Guy has been persueing.
Thanks Guy :bow: :popcorn:
GL

GL far too kind like everyone here...

my hobbymodel is like this......

me: announce I'm making something
you: how cool, paypal sent

me: sweat sweat sweat
you: wait wait wait

me: sweat sweat sweat, sleepless sleepless sleepless

me: pulling out my hair, getting over delay shocks, soothed by kind comments

me: sweat sweat sweat

me: pack pack pack, ship ship ship
you: final... wait wait wait

you: postperson delivers magic
me: so relieved....

me: announce I'm making something

and it continues.... :)

working towards building some stock though so I can actually have in-stock items soon.

tgwnn

p.s. I am very grateful to every body for your patience and support

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
7usaqu3u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha jackpot you found it! Hope these titanium friendly and you don't break them. You don't happen to be at Tokyu Hands are you?

Ward

Newly Enlightened
I hope I'll get my shipping notice soon, can't stand the extra wait now that all the pics are coming in...

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Splendid Guy, and made to fit a low rpm cordless drill...perfect. And yes, keep in mind they're prob not made for Ti so go slow and keep the pressure straight into the hole...might add a little lube while you're thinking about it. ;)

Call me crazy but someone's really got the code down! The post above mine has no name, no info, nada, zip. Secret service forum member? :) Ahhh, just a glitch, no info showed up in Wards post initially. lol

Dale

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey GL, once the cutting fluid or other lube is used, how should it be cleaned out to ensure the epoxy (or Norland) will stick? Not like you can just dunk the electronic tail piece in alcohol...well, guess ya can if you let it evaporate completely before applying power. Wouldn't some form of cleaning be necessary though?

And Guy, might want to only go half way or so, then approach again from the other side. If you try to go all the way through it will most likely put a burr at the lip of hole going out, especially as it's at such an angle.

Dale

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey GL, once the cutting fluid or other lube is used, how should it be cleaned out to ensure the epoxy (or Norland) will stick? Not like you can just dunk the electronic tail piece in alcohol...well, guess ya can if you let it evaporate completely before applying power. Wouldn't some form of cleaning be necessary though?

And Guy, might want to only go half way or so, then approach again from the other side. If you try to go all the way through it will most likely put a burr at the lip of hole going out, especially as it's at such an angle.

Dale
Hi,
Actually you can dunk it, sorta. I would use a plastic lid from a breverage bottle, I like Powerade caps size, fill it about 1/4"(~6.5mm) full. Then you can dip and shake a bit without flooding the end cap. A visual check to be sure there is no debris, magnifying glass suggested. You can use a small bit of papertowel soaked in alcohol and push it thru with a small butt end of a drill bit if debris remains or are not comfortable using a cap and dunk method.

As far as the burr, you are correct. Drill halfway from both sides to eliminate it. Although because it's a 45 degree side it should be minimal if you go all the way from one direction. Titanium and hand drills don't play well together and should be done using a drillvise and drill press to maintain vertical alignment and drilbit wander. You will want to use Cutting Fluid or Cutting Oil.

Anyone doing DIY trits please measure them first. And of course if you ordered them preinstalled, Your good to go :).

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to take pictures of opening it. Was working on my other flashlights when the doorbell rang. I had no idea and was expecting it Monday!!!!

Thanks guy.

My wife told me to keep my excitement down to a manageable noise level.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll share some first impessions.
Man the light is small and bright!

The U2s are a pleasant cool tint with a slightly blue corona.

The T5s are a nice creamy white tint with a hues of magenta almost white.

The 219s are perfect white to my eyes ;). The angle of the beam is slightly narrower and the hotspot is more defined from the LEDs smaller footprint.

The 10250 cells are very small and pack a punch. The 10430 cells are equally potent, offer extended runtime and Wow factor. Extra care should be exercised using high mode with the 10430 Nuke cell as the voltage does not drop as quick and the LED will overheat before the battery discharges.

The fit and finish is very good. The Case of the cases :naughty:. The outer packaging becomes a very nice useable diffuser combined with the light inside it's case. It is threaded which is great because you can adjust the length of your diffuser. The battery and light case are very unique. The flashlight will operate in it's case and hold three spare cells. Both the 10250 and 10440 bodies, two spare orings and a nifty sub-minuture titanium clasp are also included. One handed operation works well and those with larger hands will want the slightly longer 10440 body. When attatched to a keyring turning the head with one hand is a breeze. Changing the battery is easier to remove the head. Removing the tail sometimes you operate the switch inadvertantly.

I am still using and testing them, and plan on a full review with lux readings, beam, and tint shots :).
GL

Edit: I just checked the clip as Alex did. Copper and Brass worked, but Ti Raw and BB did not. I also suspect that there maybe slight variances in the clips themselves. My fix willbe to relieve the inner edge on the clip itself so it fits. I don't reccomend opening the clip hole because on my samples the bottom of that hole is even with the milled slot. If you drill it, it may markup the milled slot next to it or make the holes edge at the top too thin.

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woohoo! Alex, calm down! Boys, go outside and play! :crackup::poke: Shweet, gotta love it when a plan comes together!

That tiny little hole to mount it is definately a challenge. I have a whole bag full of blue anodized Titanium rings that are a half inch overall diameter, fit it perfectly. They're supposed to be for making chain mail, if you can believe someone still does that! Want a few? I use 2 pair of needlenose pliers to bend the open ring back closed and it is TOUGH! They're very strong, so I don't worry about one losing a light. I put a small gate clip on the ring then attach it to the light. The gate clip lets me take the light off my keychain quite easily (well, except for the fact that these new Maratacs are Hard to open!)

Have fun discharging those little Nukes! I know you're gonna be wreaking havoc tonight! lol

Dale

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM sent re: rings.

My wife was in the middle of making us dinner and I walked in the kitchen to help out. Instead I shone the HF on what she was working on, but turned it on high!

"Alex that's too bright! I'm gonna go blind before I'm 30!"

"Sorry Hun, thought it was gonna go to low."

Zandar

Enlightened
Congratulations climberkid and Got Lumens! I'm still waiting on a notification I think my light is in the last batch! Just a quick question please. Did I miss out on a "pre-order" for the higher powered batteries?

alex ( Bo-Bo)

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations climberkid and Got Lumens! I'm still waiting on a notification I think my light is in the last batch! Just a quick question please. Did I miss out on a "pre-order" for the higher powered batteries?

alex ( Bo-Bo)

It'll be here sooner than you think.

And u think because of GL's level of personal time and experience he has given to guy he may have included it to allow him to begin some testing and feedback.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep Zandar, I think that's what's happened. GL is probably doing some testing.

Alex, just remember right is bright ...when holding your keys and turning the body. lol Yeah, it'll surprise ya if ya get it backwards!

Dale

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep Zandar, I think that's what's happened. GL is probably doing some testing.

Alex, just remember right is bright ...when holding your keys and turning the body. lol Yeah, it'll surprise ya if ya get it backwards!

Dale
I have a slightly different style, or I'm wierd ;). I think of it as tightening and loosening. If I'm using a two handed operation, I tighten the tail to get to low, then brief off, then I get High. I then loosen the tail to Off, Low, and then into the safe off zone. Using the light one handed I turn the head to the left(tightening against the tail) to Low, brief off, then to High.
GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

in a bit of a rush today, out and about...

Alex >
the hole for clip!
I'm going to have to check those too now.

Congrats on your package arriving.

I don't think there will be much variance with the clips, rather probably a similar issue to trit holes.
Let me think about a solution but will work something out for you.

Sorry about that. Especially as these clips are rather expensive, it's be a shame not to be able to use them.

Zandar >
no pre-order missed.
GL has a proto of proto and I asked him to help me test (though I had just a very small number of these).

Worked on sorting out all the remaining stock that's here (some with reserved serials, trits) and a day behind but will post an update of what I'm still waiting on and send out a mail too.

....feeling mildy devastated about not testing the clip hole/size on every HF before sending.

I just confirmed the spec of the clip:
1.8mm diameter.
I tested a few and most are within 1.75mm~1.84mm

I need to confirm but it might be totally my mistake in that the clip hole was originally 2mm,
but then I think it was reduced to 1.75mm to allow for the groove above it (and I was thinking it was still 2mm).
So when I tested a few HF's, they all fit with the first clips I had but possible the future ones were smaller.

Need to step out but I'll check exactly when I return and work out a solution.

tgwnn