MBI #3 - Codename: HF

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the valuable feedback from everyone.

Took me a few hours of deep breathing to at least get back to being in a postable state ;)
I was not pleased with myself (to say the least) for letting something like the fit of the clip go un-noticed.

I had considered a custom made split ring but did not want to cause un-necessary delays.
Of course, almost any round split ring that is thin enough will fit but I wanted the right shape to allow tailstanding.

I have a slightly smaller sized lobster claw that I just tested on multiple HF's and it fits fine but seems a little more difficult to remove.
Happy to send the lobster-claw if you'd like one (anyone).

I very much considering making a custom split ring though, the exact size and shape.
Might take about 8 weeks and of course happy to offer these as well.
Just need to check with my current manufacturing partners on timing.

When things are less than perfect, I am obsessed about getting them to perfect asap.
I'll admit I have a hard time waiting for even minutes to work on getting it right.

Ward >
Thanks for your patience.
All posts noted.
As mentioned will update later this evening with status on outstanding serials and orders.

I'm working as hard & long as I can to get things out as fast as possible.
I am realizing though that there are physical limits in terms of how much I can get done in a given day.

Giving plenty of thought to that......
How to improve efficiency, etc...
but at the same time, I'm not planning on being Walmart,
and I do want to personally ensure everything is in good order.

Also realizing that managing expectations as early as possible in the process is important (which is partly covered with an FAQ) but will definitely have to split pre-orders into smaller batches.... more about that later, gonna get back to packing the last few HF's here, ship, then post related updates, on web, mail too.

Thanks,
Tgwnn

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guy,

Q: Are you selling 10430 nukes?

Saad

Hi aljebreensh,

Thanks for the post.

A: Not yet.

I only had a handfull of prototype's made for testing and I'm not sure how they perform just yet.
Once I've had a chance to give them a full run through, I'll consider production.

btw, I'm guessing this may be asked a lot so I'm making the question and answer bold ;)

Tgwnn

romteb

Enlightened
Hey TGWNN don't stress, as far as i'm concerned i'd rather have my HF or any other MBI product delayed and you sleeping a decent amount of time and relaxing than the contrary, take it easy.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2c...This is a specialty light. Keychain sized. Need to tailstand...minimal. This need is addresed in the wonderful hard anodized case with extendable diffuser case. First and foremost is the ability to carry and do so with 100% assurance of retention.

Don't stress over the little things. This is a pre-order limited run...beta testing as it were and everyone pretty much understood this. Tiny mount hole, tiny problem. Fix it, move on.

Easy answer, paracord the light, put the gate latch/lobster claw on the paracord. Retention, tailstand, easy on/off answered.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.

Dale

PS: I am sending some Ti blue anodized rings to Alex to try. I've been carrying using these for a couple of years. They're not a split ring in the true sense, just a 1/2" ring that is cut and offset for mounting. The thickness of this ring is approx 1.5mm, easily fits in the HF mounting hole and is VERY strong! The offset will have to be widened (2 pair of needlenose works well) to mount on the HF. Then closed once it's on and has the gate latch/lobster claw on. I've got a hundred or so of these, will gladly send em out to whoever wants em while they last to help out with this issue. This offer limited to the number of HF you actually ordered in order to help everyone equally. I do believe this Blue Anodized Ti ring is visible in my pictures of the copper HF. No, it doesn't tail stand. Yes, it does stay on!

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking good GL. I'm exited for those rings DBC has. I'm a big tailstander, but not with this light. This is one to be clipped to my keys or to my belt loop for sure. I may get another suspension clip just for it/them.

4yza8yqu.jpg

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arent' those little clips handy Alex? I"ve used one for my entire keychain for a while now, keeps the keys from being bunched up at the bottom of the pocket and making a hole. Also keeps em from gouging ya when you bend over or squat. Forgot where I got mine, lol! EDC forums probably.

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey TGWNN don't stress, as far as i'm concerned i'd rather have my HF or any other MBI product delayed and you sleeping a decent amount of time and relaxing than the contrary, take it easy.

Thanks romteb for always being so patient :thumbsup:

Thanks Ward :)

My 2c...This is a specialty light. Keychain sized. Need to tailstand...minimal. This need is addresed in the wonderful hard anodized case with extendable diffuser case. First and foremost is the ability to carry and do so with 100% assurance of retention.

Don't stress over the little things. This is a pre-order limited run...beta testing as it were and everyone pretty much understood this. Tiny mount hole, tiny problem. Fix it, move on.

Easy answer, paracord the light, put the gate latch/lobster claw on the paracord. Retention, tailstand, easy on/off answered.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.

Dale

PS: I am sending some Ti blue anodized rings to Alex to try. I've been carrying using these for a couple of years. They're not a split ring in the true sense, just a 1/2" ring that is cut and offset for mounting. The thickness of this ring is approx 1.5mm, easily fits in the HF mounting hole and is VERY strong! The offset will have to be widened (2 pair of needlenose works well) to mount on the HF. Then closed once it's on and has the gate latch/lobster claw on. I've got a hundred or so of these, will gladly send em out to whoever wants em while they last to help out with this issue. This offer limited to the number of HF you actually ordered in order to help everyone equally. I do believe this Blue Anodized Ti ring is visible in my pictures of the copper HF. No, it doesn't tail stand. Yes, it does stay on!

Thanks Dale,

A bit more relaxed after some more packing.
PO time soon and some more "shipped" mails later today.

That is way too kind of you about the rings!! :bow:

Here's my setups for carry.
GL

Thanks for the pics GL.

Looking good GL. I'm exited for those rings DBC has. I'm a big tailstander, but not with this light. This is one to be clipped to my keys or to my belt loop for sure. I may get another suspension clip just for it/them.

4yza8yqu.jpg
Nice pic Alex :D

Just about finished sorting packing everything that's here.
Working on updating the list of what's where and plan to post in a few hours from now.

I'm realizing though that the most efficient process is... when anything is less than perfect, to send it back to the workshop asap and let them handle it, otherwise I end up spending hours on fixes which is not very scalable beyond just a few items.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't mention it, like what am I gonna do with all these rings? Make chain maille for my wife? lol
Chain Maille Bra Top by genie in a black box, on Flickr

(This is actually what they're made for, well...the modern version. They're made for making authentic looking chain maille for those into the mideval times dress and re-enactment. the ring lord dot com is where I got em, if anyone's interested. And no, I'm not into that, was just looking for Ti rings to hang things on my keychain! :) )

At the shop they could just drop the tail in the bench vise, or end mill, and run the hole larger, boom, done. I think the issue is that the glass vials of the Trits are not uniform, which come to think of it would be very difficult to do on those tiny things! Copper or brass is easy enough to ream out, but Ti is another story altogether! Not like I'm telling you something you haven't already figured out, right? lol

Breathe easy, have a shot of Tequila, get some sleep and tomorrow's another day. :)

Dale

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the shop they could just drop the tail in the bench vise, or end mill, and run the hole larger, boom, done. I think the issue is that the glass vials of the Trits are not uniform, which come to think of it would be very difficult to do on those tiny things! Copper or brass is easy enough to ream out, but Ti is another story altogether! Not like I'm telling you something you haven't already figured out, right? lol

Breathe easy, have a shot of Tequila, get some sleep and tomorrow's another day. :)

Dale

Hi Dale,

I snapped a drill bit inside one of the HF Ti's and its not coming out.
Most of the others went smoothly.

I tried drilling to just over halfway from both sides but still a slight bur sometimes.
On the raw finishes, this is easy enough to make vanish but on a blasted Ti, not much that can be done without risk of scratching.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shipping/Status update (2012/11/12):

Expected shipped in the next 24hrs
Ti: 57,60,66,82,84,85,89,133, one final check on 99
Copper: final check on 7
plus few unreserved serials too.

Awaiting return from the workshop (ETA approximately mid-next week 11/21~11/23 )

Brass: 2,6,13,20,22
Copper: 20,22,23
Titanium: 6,12,13,21,22,25,27,32,40,52,55,67,70,76,77,79,86,88,92,100,111,119,121,123,149,150

Awaiting quite a few tails and a hole bunch of heads to come back from the workshop.

In case you don't see your serial in either list, its most likely here and waiting on return of a head,
or its in process (being checked, tritted, etc).
Even for people who didn't specify a serial, I had to assign one so the workshop would know what it should be (blasted, raw, emitter type, etc). I know you might be thinking you are happy with any serial but chances are the one assigned, as above is waiting on return of a head or tail.

There may be 3 or 4 more that get added to the list above.

The HF Aluminum bodies were damaged during the anodise process and are currently being re-done.
Expected ETA is approximately 12/20.

Please feel free to mail me if you have any questions at all.

Thanks,
Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch! Yeah Guy, the Titanium will heat up a little and grab the bit, making it dig in too deep and Oops! Think how fun it is using a 3/4" bit when that happens! :)

"The HF Aluminum bodies were damaged during the anodise process and are currently being re-done." Oh Lord Have Mercy! I know that put a big kink in your day when you found that out! This is one of the things that's so neat about you sharing info along the way and garnering ideas from people that have played with these things before, usually when you get a product you just expect it to be perfect...end of story. But you never know just what went into making it that way! It's one thing to conceive an idea, a whole nother thing to implement it according to plan! When I discovered my CoreTi wouldn't work I told my wife "Leave it to me, if there's one tiny little thing that can be done wrong, I'll find it!" I think perhaps you're beginning to feel that way too to some extent! LOL And as the old saying goes "The Devil is in the details!"

This might help slightly...I was reading on the page where I got the Ti rings, yes they make chain maille clothing and accessories, even shark suits! Imagine this, in one of their series a L shirt takes 64,000+ rings that have to be put together with pliers, closed, welded, and tumble polished when done! 64,000! One shirt sells for a little over $300. Me doing it.....about 27,394 rings into a custom order shirt, I find I'm using the wrong size ring! Or wrong color. Or wrong material. Or some of all those things! Change up, start over with the order magnified in front of me...41,846 rings into it the customer calls and want's to change the order! LOL

Hang in there man! With all this comes the experience to make it flow smoother next time! And to think, you could start getting thousands of orders from around the world with specific anodized patterns on CoreTi's! :) Time to hire some help! :laughing:

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch! Yeah Guy, the Titanium will heat up a little and grab the bit, making it dig in too deep and Oops! Think how fun it is using a 3/4" bit when that happens! :)

"The HF Aluminum bodies were damaged during the anodise process and are currently being re-done." Oh Lord Have Mercy! I know that put a big kink in your day when you found that out! This is one of the things that's so neat about you sharing info along the way and garnering ideas from people that have played with these things before, usually when you get a product you just expect it to be perfect...end of story. But you never know just what went into making it that way! It's one thing to conceive an idea, a whole nother thing to implement it according to plan! When I discovered my CoreTi wouldn't work I told my wife "Leave it to me, if there's one tiny little thing that can be done wrong, I'll find it!" I think perhaps you're beginning to feel that way too to some extent! LOL And as the old saying goes "The Devil is in the details!"

This might help slightly...I was reading on the page where I got the Ti rings, yes they make chain maille clothing and accessories, even shark suits! Imagine this, in one of their series a L shirt takes 64,000+ rings that have to be put together with pliers, closed, welded, and tumble polished when done! 64,000! One shirt sells for a little over $300. Me doing it.....about 27,394 rings into a custom order shirt, I find I'm using the wrong size ring! Or wrong color. Or wrong material. Or some of all those things! Change up, start over with the order magnified in front of me...41,846 rings into it the customer calls and want's to change the order! LOL

Hang in there man! With all this comes the experience to make it flow smoother next time! And to think, you could start getting thousands of orders from around the world with specific anodized patterns on CoreTi's! :) Time to hire some help! :laughing:

Dale

Hi Dale,

Thanks.
Im generally always cheerful but sharing less than great news is never fun.
I am learning zillions though. Will summarize them in the next subscriber update.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for all the support.
Tgwnn

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Related post, show and tell.

If anyone is in or will be in the NYC area, and they want to checkout the HF flashlight.
I will be attending the New York Custom Knife Show Nov. 16 & 17th at The Westin in Jersey City Newport.
I will have the Ti Raw, Ti BB, Copper, and Brass HFs with me with all the emitter choices to check out.
Just send me a PM before and I will meet you close by if you are not attending.
It's really neat that I will have the opportunity to show the HF to the top knife makers in the country.
I will be showing the Holy F^&*% demonstration with the light in it's case and then take out to show just how small it is :).
I might even have one I'm willing to sell at the preorder price :).
GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
HF Beamshot recon,

Saw a chance and took it.....

HF Cu - XML T5

Control Shot:
file-50.jpg

HF'd:
file-51.jpg

Photo's using iPhone on full auto.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
And Guy found the darkness unsettling. And Guy said "Let there be Light!" And behold, darkness was vanquished!

:cool:

And Oakley rejoiced! For there was now a need for their product line 24/7/365!

And it was good!

And the people said :party:

Dale

Let it be known that I would almost never be up at 6:30 in the morning, but...my cop neighbor feels the need to be firing his guns before the sun comes up. :ohgeez: