MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurker here. Sounds like Zeus will be great. I appreciate excellent design and craftsmanship that displays an understanding of the target audience.

A question just occurred to me though: Will Zeus come with a holster? I prefer holsters to clips, but rarely see well designed, durable holsters. If you do package Zeus with a holster, could you design it without a flap? Undoing flaps is not conducive to rapid removal of lights. Also, you can't invert the light and use the holster for hands-free illumination if the flap is in the way.

Hi Alphanumeric,

Thanks for posting :)
I've been planning a holster but need to finalize Zeus before I can finalize a holster.
It is very helpful to have feedback on what works as I've only really used the flapped holsters so far.

That's some good thinking on the requirements of a holster. What did you think about the Surefire Z71 or the Blackhawk Gladius holster? They are well designed for carry in either direction.
Thanks Alex,
I'll have to look into those.

+1 a rotatable Kydex holster would be cool. and if you only put one retention dent in it, with the Zeus design, you could vary how deep it carried in the holster which would increase/decrease deployment response times :thumbsup:
Thanks mcbrat,

Plenty to think about.
I was expecting you to mention a copper holster though :D

Tgwnn

Alphanumeric

Newly Enlightened
That's some good thinking on the requirements of a holster. What did you think about the Surefire Z71 or the Blackhawk Gladius holster? They are well designed for carry in either direction.

Hi Alphanumeric,

Thanks for posting :)
I've been planning a holster but need to finalize Zeus before I can finalize a holster.
It is very helpful to have feedback on what works as I've only really used the flapped holsters so far.

Thanks Alex,
I'll have to look into those.

Thanks mcbrat,

Plenty to think about.
I was expecting you to mention a copper holster though :D

Tgwnn

Climber, I haven't tried out either of those. I've only had two different PD30 holsters, a Thrunite Scorpion V2, a D25LC2, and a couple others probably. The first PD30 holster (from a few years back) is the best of them.

Guy, happy to offer feedback as I consider this an accessory most companies overlook. All of my holsters have been the free included nylons and not the nicer Kydex ones. What I personally look for in a good holster:
1. A quick draw. Fumbling around trying to retrieve a light is at best frustrating (urban EDC) and at worst deadly (LEO or military). If I wanted lighting then instead of now, I'd stick with a keychain light.
2. A slim profile. This usually means using a holster designed for the light. This is a personal preference for me because I live in suburbia and prefer not to draw attention with some clunky PDA/mace/??? hanging on my hip.
3. Durability. If the holster can't be EDCed, neither can that light. Kydex here is preferable, but decent nylon can withstand a few years of light use. If it can't stand at least a year of light abuse, it shouldn't even be included.
4. Utility. I like to put my lights upside down in their holsters and walk around at night. The ceiling bounce creates quick and useful lighting wherever I go. Rotatable Kydex would be even better for forward illumination and a cutout for access to the button would be great as well.

Writing this, I've realized the importance of a good holster. I've got an SC600MkII and a D25LC2. I like both equally and for different reasons. That said, the SC600 came without a holster and its non-uniform body means it goes in a poorly fitting holster requisitioned from another light that catches it on the draw. As a consequence, the SC600 doesn't make it into rotation as often as it should.

I'd imagine coming up with a good holster would take some time and won't be a first release thing for Zeus. That said, I look forward to if and when you decide to make one. Too many companies toss in cheap holsters to sweeten the deal, but they're just fluff that can't hold up to everyday abuse. Zeus is a proper light and it deserves a proper holster.

Last edited:

NowIC

Enlightened
Climber, I haven't tried out either of those. I've only had two different PD30 holsters, a Thrunite Scorpion V2, a D25LC2, and a couple others probably. The first PD30 holster (from a few years back) is the best of them.

Guy, happy to offer feedback as I consider this an accessory most companies overlook. All of my holsters have been the free included nylons and not the nicer Kydex ones. What I personally look for in a good holster:
1. A quick draw. Fumbling around trying to retrieve a light is at best frustrating (urban EDC) and at worst deadly (LEO or military). If I wanted lighting then instead of now, I'd stick with a keychain light.
2. A slim profile. This usually means using a holster designed for the light. This is a personal preference for me because I live in suburbia and prefer not to draw attention with some clunky PDA/mace/??? hanging on my hip.
3. Durability. If the holster can't be EDCed, neither can that light. Kydex here is preferable, but decent nylon can withstand a few years of light use. If it can't stand at least a year of light abuse, it shouldn't even be included.
4. Utility. I like to put my lights upside down in their holsters and walk around at night. The ceiling bounce creates quick and useful lighting wherever I go. Rotatable Kydex would be even better for forward illumination and a cutout for access to the button would be great as well.

Writing this, I've realized the importance of a good holster. I've got an SC600MkII and a D25LC2. I like both equally and for different reasons. That said, the SC600 came without a holster and its non-uniform body means it goes in a poorly fitting holster requisitioned from another light that catches it on the draw. As a consequence, the SC600 doesn't make it into rotation as often as it should.

I'd imagine coming up with a good holster would take some time and won't be a first release thing for Zeus. That said, I look forward to if and when you decide to make one. Too many companies toss in cheap holsters to sweeten the deal, but they're just fluff that can't hold up to everyday abuse. Zeus is a proper light and it deserves a proper holster.

Nice input - thanks. You've got me thinking hard :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice input - thanks. You've got me thinking hard :)
Yes, me too!

Thanks for the very detailed feedback Alphanumeric.

I have some ideas that can solve most of the requirements but I might need to do some testing on the rotary parts or design a holster to fit with existing rotary mechanisms.

Quick draw (but not accidental draw), light shining through either end, activation in the holster, all seem to be achievable.
Not sure if the holster can be ready at the same time as Zeus (as you mentioned too) as these things take a little time and I cant finalize the size until Zeus is ready to roll but I can certainly test some of the concepts and work towards that.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy New Year!
8246553575_a41f0b63f9_o.gif

Our 11th Anniversary is tomorrow and I've got the Flu! Yuck!

Daniel saw the light, he's now an official Flashaholic with 7 flashlights of his own. He won the light in the pic, a Sipik SK68 zoomie. He's 6 now.
8542626231_d93dda5cdd_c.jpg

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the posts...

Well my "post" button must be worn out as I'm sure I'd replied to this a few days ago..
maybe not :confused:

Some new stuff landed today, mainly circuits & pcb's for new things ;)
Testing one of the new circuits, I fried the first 4 until I discovered the voltage of the pins (power in) is reversed.

Fortunately these are not the Zeus PCBs which also landed today.

Good thing I made more than a few, but now I have these boards that work perfectly with reverse voltage.
Easy enough to change for production but kind of a shame as these are already production quality.
Thinking I might be able to make a thin wafer adaptor chip, solder it on top of the pins to correct the voltage or maybe some other solution... got to think about it.

Zeus PCBs are looking good.
I'm waiting for the latest firmware before I zap them as each one is precious but should not be long before I can post an update.
Fingers crossed and if these are good, we are good to go!

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to hear Guy! I mean, the Zeus pcb not the trick on the new ones....but those will keep you thinking anyway! I don't know how y'all keep all those pins and traces going the right direction anyway, I'd be lost for sure...especially these days. <cough>

Always neat, and impressive, to see what you have up your sleeve...can't wait for the next couple of batches of surprises.

I've read an article recently about a radical new invention in Li-ion technology that can increase capacity by some 2000 x and charge rate by 1000x. Seems they are figuring out how to make the cells internal structure in a honeycomb type membrane that greatly increases surface area and flow of the chemistry. Seems like students at a college discovered it. So watch for battery technology to be taking big leaps and bounds. Sure wish I had a link to that article, now I can't remember where I saw it. I think I bookmarked it but it was on a laptop computer I sometimes use early morning to keep from disturbing the family. Will have to look it up and reply back if I can find it.

Great work, incredible imagination and exceptional task management, carry on! :)

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome news! :party:
Thanks mikes :)

Snap, Crackle, Pop!!

The USB ports on my computer died due to using the USB cable to attach to the reversed voltage circuit.
Ouch!!!

If there was a vote for emitter to use first in this puppy, it would be XPG2 S2 for me. Thanks. (Love the HF: got the Cottonpickers charger today)
Hi KITROBASKIN,
Congrats on your charger ;)
Glad you are loving the HF.
Curious as to your choice of the XPG2.
It is a fine emitter but not sure it can handle the power dump.

Great to hear Guy! I mean, the Zeus pcb not the trick on the new ones....but those will keep you thinking anyway! I don't know how y'all keep all those pins and traces going the right direction anyway, I'd be lost for sure...especially these days. <cough>

Always neat, and impressive, to see what you have up your sleeve...can't wait for the next couple of batches of surprises.

I've read an article recently about a radical new invention in Li-ion technology that can increase capacity by some 2000 x and charge rate by 1000x. Seems they are figuring out how to make the cells internal structure in a honeycomb type membrane that greatly increases surface area and flow of the chemistry. Seems like students at a college discovered it. So watch for battery technology to be taking big leaps and bounds. Sure wish I had a link to that article, now I can't remember where I saw it. I think I bookmarked it but it was on a laptop computer I sometimes use early morning to keep from disturbing the family. Will have to look it up and reply back if I can find it.

Great work, incredible imagination and exceptional task management, carry on! :)

Dale
Thanks Dale,

Expecting the firmware to be completed this coming sun/mon so I am very very very much looking forward to this one and really hope it works right off the bat.

This makes 2 out of 3 Zeus circuits complete and waiting on the last which is almost finished too.

I've been checking into the graphene and still does look like its a couple of years away but when it does finally land, I think it will be a game changer for sure. Just like CPU speed though, when batteries become more efficient and powerful, we'll find more ways to just use the power faster and your 2014 computer (in most cases), will seem only slightly faster than your 2002 computer because the software and graphics are designed to take advantage of the extra power.

At least my iPhone is way faster than the first "ultraslowsmartphone" I had way way back when (~8yrs ago) :D

Tgwnn

nbp

Flashaholic
Are you planning on doing an X run with the Zeus as well or just going straight to production? I can't recall if this was mentioned. As much as I need to watch my spending, I would love to get in on this early on too if I can.

slntdth93

Newly Enlightened
Are you planning on doing an X run with the Zeus as well or just going straight to production? I can't recall if this was mentioned. As much as I need to watch my spending, I would love to get in on this early on too if I can.

I believe it's straight to full production

th8tredude

Enlightened
I believe his original plan was to go straight to production, but to limit the first run to a small number. It was 12 in Al and 12 in SS, but given he's been changing his whole process, that may have changed. I can't wait!
Th8tredude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NowIC

Enlightened
I'm thinking of that Saturday Night Live skit when Christopher Walken plays a music producer and tells the band that he needs more cowbell. I need more MBI!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi nbp,

Not officially an X run but I was thinking of a smaller 1st run.
Kind of a pre-production run as th8tredude mentioned below.

Currently just waiting on the firmware for the main PCB to be verified before I can give the thumbsup on that.
I have also been considering a kickstarter campaign for it but will decide on that once everything else is in place.

I won't be releasing it until I have a production perfect version in my hands.
Thankfully this time round, I'm totally in the drivers seat for every last detail including which ICs are used on the PCB and why, along with every version of every design file so no one person in the creation chain can play funny buggers on this monsterpiece ;)

I believe it's straight to full production
HI slntdth,
..or at least very close to it.
...meaning I may do a limited first production to get all the gears in place and ready.

I believe his original plan was to go straight to production, but to limit the first run to a small number. It was 12 in Al and 12 in SS, but given he's been changing his whole process, that may have changed. I can't wait!
Th8tredude
Thanks th8tredude,
You got it!

I'm thinking of that Saturday Night Live skit when Christopher Walken plays a music producer and tells the band that he needs more cowbell. I need more MBI!

Coming your way :twothumbs

Tgwnn

p.s. Finally,
whilst writing this, my phone buzzed...looks like the new 14500s designed to supply Zeus with the power he needs should be here end of the week :thumbsup: