• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mc2s resistor values***UPDATE***

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: McGizmo 2-stage tailcap resistor values

Where are the Pila guys???? It seems to me that these guys are playing with from 7.5 ohms up to 22 ohms. Since we are dropping from ~6 volts with the 2x123 and only ~4 volts with the Pila's less resistance is required. You also have the overdischarge protection in the cell to play with. Sound of Pila gents! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

albert

Enlightened

Don,

What resistor value should i be looking at if i want to acheive a 10:3 effect on a Badboy, 1x123, Luxeon III, PR/PR-T/Aleph 1?

Thanks in advance for any info.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Albert,
Take a gander at kj's graphs. I haven't a clue off hand. Bear in mind that the low from the resistor will be the same regardless of the current bias on the high! You have not specified what drive the BB is so how could I determine the low?!?!? The resistor does not provide a porportional drop based on the high level of current to the LED.

As I have mentioned numerous times for those who want to dial in their own resistor value, get some resistors from an electronics store and short the battery to battery tube with them and evaluate the resulting beam. When you find a level you like, choose that for your resistor value. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

albert

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Albert,
Take a gander at kj's graphs. I haven't a clue off hand. Bear in mind that the low from the resistor will be the same regardless of the current bias on the high! You have not specified what drive the BB is so how could I determine the low?!?!? The resistor does not provide a porportional drop based on the high level of current to the LED.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a BB500. The one you made for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
As I have mentioned numerous times for those who want to dial in their own resistor value, get some resistors from an electronics store and short the battery to battery tube with them and evaluate the resulting beam. When you find a level you like, choose that for your resistor value. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't do that, i have zero electronic knowledge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

albert

Enlightened

Don,

Just to let you know. The McE2S-60ohms on your E2D-PR-T-DB917 is just too dim on low for my liking, i have changed it to a 15ohms and i like the result a lot.

Now i'm starting to think the same for the BB500 which currently uses a 15ohms McE2S which is also too dim on low.

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
With the proper threat of the wrath of Darell and other means of intimidation

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm all over that plan! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Albert,
You might want to try a 7.5 ohm in that case.

Darell,
I knew I could count on you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don,

Since the 2-stage switch doesn't work with the newwiz converters, will it affect the full power performance if we don't use the low setting.

Likewise, can we order the switch from the shoppe without the resistors since it won't work anyway.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Billson, I haven't given up on two stage yet with the wiz 2 but to answer your question, the resistor doesn't harm the circuit and full power is still full power. The PCB can be shorted in that the resistor can be replaced by a wire jumper and then you will get full power in both low and high conditions. The guts from a SF LOTC can also be used in the McE2S cap for single level output.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the clarification.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

All this Pila talk! Since I have so many of them, I should be posting!

Don: When I get my BE powerpacks, I'll be ordering some McE2S's. What you mean 7.5 ohm? You forget about my 1.7 ohm?

I EDC at home a McGizmo built PR-T Lux-III DB917 TW0J Pila powered with UCL/LDF lens using a McE2S 15 ohm and I've had the battery in there for weeks! It lasts forever! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did a runtime on a Lux-III DB917, here's the link:
Runtime Link

EDIT: Bill, I edited this post and fixed your Link so it doesn't throw the thread into wide Imax format. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ubermensch

Enlightened

Just got my Aleph 2-stage. For use with KL4/Pila, 10 ohm seems to give considerably more than 10:1, more like 10:3 or 10:2. But, without lux meter readings take that with some skepticism. I'll try out the 7.5 & 15 ohm boards as soon as I figure out how to take the switch apart.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don:

Thanks for the edit. I did notice the wide post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I see now, you use the Instant UBB Code for URL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Next time I'll do it correctly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

ubermensch, the 7.5 will be an even brighter Low. The 15 will provide the dimest low of the three. You should be able to pushtheswitch module out of the cap by depressing the button with the cap off the battery tube. You may need some needle nose pliers on the screw head to wiggle it out. The screw uses a 3/32" allen wrench and you will need to hold the button in some protected or smoothe jae pliers when you loosen the screw.

K-T

*Moderator*
***Update*** / 09-16-2004

This list is huge, I expect it to grow on some ends (->LiIon's!) and shrik on other ends when the most useful/effective resistor&LED&driver combinations have been found.

I have summed up some infos either given in this thread or from kj's homepage.

Thanks a lot to Bernhard and kj for providing detailed informations about their lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

While the CR123A cell configurations are pretty much covered we NEED more details on the LiIon lights.

Mc2S_high.jpg

I am looking forward to additions, corrections, etcetc.

I also advice to check out Bernhard's thread on the different driver boards available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The sheet will be updated when more info is awailable or has been aquired by /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif me.

I'll need to work on the picture quality! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wow,
Great work K-T!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Hopefully those Li-Ion heads will chime in on resistor values for the 3.7V powered systems.

akula88

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif K-T,
How about a suggestion for Eyeball Mk.1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif --

For reference point, can you post Lux values for : stock L4(2x123), stock KL1(1x123 or 2x123), stock L1 on Low, and stock L1 on high... maybe a LS-III L1 (dumb head/stock circuit) on Low.

Referencing with those common above lights could help decide as to which brightness might be best for each user. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
wow!
great work there!
there are some hours of your life goen down the drain ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

K-T

*Moderator*
akula, that's what I was going to do as a next step, including some known around lights like the ARCAAA or similar lowoutput lights. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

For these wondering what '###/####' is trying to say in the lightmeter reading, that's 'low/high' output. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bernhard, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif tell me about it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
I added some lights as a reference, sources where FlashlightReviews.com (thanks :bow) and Milkyspit's measurements on the ARC AAA some time ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We still need some values for the Pilas!