McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

nbp

Flashaholic
PWM Warrior strikes again, yippee. I prefer if this thread didn't get overrun with it. Why not post about it in Don's forum where you could get the real facts from the builder himself???

nbp

Flashaholic
Dude, if I wanted them all deleted I could have done that myself, I didn't ask you to do that. I dunno why you spazz out like that. I just didn't want it to become an endless circle like it has in some threads and thought it might be more productive to ask the Expert about it and get the details.

Beard Man

Enlightened
PWM no PWM .... who cares, my Haiku is my best EDC light! :thumbsup:

38320954342_0ed3055866_b.jpg

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm anal about PWM and the McGizmo 3S doesn't bother me at all as I can't see it's PWM.
The designer in Japan described it to Don as a constant colour driver as it maintains its colour temp and tint for the most part at all drive currents so that's a bonus side of its PWM.
Great pic as always Beard Man and I agree that the Haiku is the best EDC light out there.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes love the haiku, timeless piece of functional art at its best:)
bFhxFKyl.jpg

One day hopefully a gizmo mule in the family:cool:

nbp

Flashaholic

Right on! If my house starts on fire one night and I have time to shove only one flashlight in my pocket on the way out it would be a Haiku. (Though I hope I never have to make that call, hah.).

Right on! If my house starts on fire one night and I have time to shove only one flashlight in my pocket on the way out it would be a Haiku. (Though I hope I never have to make that call, hah.).

It might be the one light you own you don't need to grab during a house fire. Grab something else, then sift through the debris for the Haiku and McGizmo will put it back together again. Then you'll still have a backup.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

38320954342_0ed3055866_b.jpg

Been doing a lot of research and trying to convince myself that I need this light. Think this photo may have moved me to almost pull the trigger right now. Very, very nice photo!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Been doing a lot of research and trying to convince myself that I need this light. Think this photo may have moved me to almost pull the trigger right now. Very, very nice photo!
You should see my AlTiN 119 Haiku! Anyway, you need this light, and, truth be told, to belong to CPF you have to own a Haiku. It's true. :whistle:

jdboy

Enlightened
You should see my AlTiN 119 Haiku! Anyway, you need this light, and, truth be told, to belong to CPF you have to own a Haiku. It's true. :whistle:

As long as I've been on the forum and with as many flashlights as I've owned I've never picked up a Haiku for myself. I did purchase one for a buddy of mine from another forum at one point. The build quality was outstanding and I really liked the form factor. I've looked a the build page multiple times as well. I do think I need to pick one up just to maintain my standing on CPF.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As long as I've been on the forum and with as many flashlights as I've owned I've never picked up a Haiku for myself.

I do think I need to pick one up just to maintain my standing on CPF.
Yes, it's a good idea. Ironically, both of my favorite lights were not the least bit interesting to me when I first saw them. My Haiku is one of them, and it's also probably my favorite light ever for how it feels in my hand.

smoke5643

Newly Enlightened
OP this is an excellect write up that will most likely cost me too much money... Thanks for your time and expertise!

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks! I had to go back and read it again - it's been a couple years since I read it last. Interestingly, seven years later I still feel the same way and still have two Haikus in my collection!

It's a shame the pics have all disappeared. I could plug some new ones in but Don has many spectacular photos of his lights posted and frankly I suppose the text is the more important component in this endeavor anyways. :)

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the types of reviews that make CPF so enjoyable. If I was able to put my thoughts to print like this, I would. When I first joined, I would read and reread this and other essays like it. I couldn't afford a Mcgizmo at the time but it put a lot into perspective. Thank you!

while the pictures added to it, the text is the important part.

Beard Man

Enlightened

Thank you,appreciate it!

25252263617_a7e26ebfd1_b.jpg

Last edited:

808tim

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the excellent information! I'm ready for my first custom and emailed Don this morning to order a Haiku! Great review!

ven

Flashaholic
Read more than once over the year/s, always a great read nbp. Defo on the short list(top 5 imo) of the best lights on the planet.
3TvKMp7l.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apart from good looks, what makes the Haiku special? What sets it apart from other lights with a similar UI and build quality? I'm genuinely asking you folks who have been carrying it around for some years. Why is it better than, say, a Malkoff MDC? Or a Zebra?