McGizmo LS20 XP-G Update

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bro!! :twothumbs

LS20_18650_02.jpg

Great photo my Bro!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. Could you swap the 3mm LED's too?

Yes they can!
I might be putting some UV 3mm in mine just for the heck of it!:thumbsup:

Dan,I'll be looking forward to your review and great pics:twothumbs

and pm sent to you DaFABRICATA!:D

PM back at ya!:wave:

Okay, folks! Review with beam shots posted over here. It's quite the eye opener!

Dan, Awesome beamshots and review!!:party:

Thanks again for all the nice comments!:eek::)
BTW, I got those o-rings for the 007!!! THANK YOU!!!lovecpf:party:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
:devil::thumbsup: Now I am very interested in getting this done!! I'll send ya a PM when I have a few minutes later on.

Expect a PM later today....:wave:

023-15.jpg

Finished up 6 x LS20's over the last 2 days.
3 of them had Frystormer's very cool GDuP upgrade already done and were in for new emitters.
It's really something to see the XP-G on high!
After doing 5 CPFers lights I finally got to my personal LS20 late tonight.
Removed the cool tinted XP-G and replaced it with a neutral, and swaped out the stock driver for a Flupic.
While I was at it, the 3mm LED's were swapped out for UV's...just for the hell of it.
Now, that I had the chance to use a Ti McClicky PD pak for the LS20, I really want one for myself!...:broke:.....it does make switching between levels much easier.
Gotta get some sleep now...:sleepy:

stoli67

Enlightened
DaFabricata,

where is that thread with the LS20 upgrade to an XML and XPG? Can't find it...

Your Inbox is full BTW.... wanted to talk to you about a little LS20 upgrade for me!

fyrstormer

Banned
Three of them had the Centauri mod? Wow. Those little guys get around. If I had any sense I'd keep track of how many I've done. I want to say it's approaching ten now.

How does the driver behave with the XP-G emitter? It should need to recalibrate, but that only takes a few seconds. After that, how do the modes look?

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it should be OK for me to post here that DaFabricata is--between a busy real life and a lack of reliable internet--for all practical purposes far...far...far away from CPF at the moment. I am sure there are those here who are closer to him, but I have recently had contact with him...so that's why I presume to post.

I am not sure when he will be able to regularly post again. I believe his email can be found in his profile. However, I might suggest just sending one email and then waiting. I'd be willing to bet that if he is able to start taking modification requests...he will.

I think he likes it. BTW...here is that thread, Stoli:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?193866-List-your-McGizmo-flashlights/page6

obi

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I send him an email a while ago asking about the same mod your after Stoli, no reply :(

stoli67

Enlightened
It doesn't look good ... He does some crazy mods ... Really would like the XPG / XML combo mod but I could live with just a really nice neutral XPG centrally...

What would be good would be a neutral XPG and a mule nichia high cri !

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try an emitter swap out myself but am concerned about getting a XPG

focussed correctly with a LS20 reflector.

Which MCPCB would work best, the standard Cutter 10mm board or a Shoppe 6mm XPE board ?

Ideally I would like to swap the 3mm emitters out for some neutral ones ... can anyone point

me in the right direction ?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys! I appologize for not getting back with you. My internet is horrible! Most times I try to respond to a forum thread or respond to an email it either drops out or won't let me edit. Anyway it drives me NUTS so I just stopped going online as much and then got busy with work.

I'll be taking modification requests again starting next week.

The last several months have been spent working whenever and wherever possible followed by working in my shop to be set up more efficiently. All my machine tools were striped down, cleaned, painted, relubed and reassembled. I purchased a 9X18 lathe that ended up being a huge PITA...JUST got that running again. I spent the money I had saved for a car on a PM1127VF-LB lathe. That will be delivered monday or tuesday. Also got my milling machine running again:party::D.

As for the LS20 mods....the latest one to go out had my new heatsink design that increases mass and contact with the wall on the inside of the head helping to dissipate heat MUCH better.

The LS20.1, using the xp-g with an McR10 and an XM-L for the flood is also an option.

I'll be busy for the next week working on a few cars and setting up the new lathe. After that, I plan to be able to offer modding services again.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
tx101, did you get my email? never heard back from ya.

Here's an update on what I've been working on.
The original LS20.1 heatsinks were aluminum and a pretty basic design that added a lot more mass than the stock heatsink and also more contact area to the head to improve heat transfer.
After much thought and a redesign, a new improved version was made from brass.

It's a huge step in the right direction for thermal management when running a HO GDuP driver to the emitters.
The brass slug is "stepped" in 3 places and has a tight fit to further help transfer that heat to the head. After turning the slug to its final size, it's seated in a special holder I made for the milling maching to have the holes drilled and pockets milled for the emitters and wires. Another holder was made to secure the brass finish rings so they can have their holes milled and the backside milled for wire clearance for the XM-L.
I feel much better about the new design even though it takes WAY more time to make than the simple design I previously used in my personal light.
About the only improvement I can see from here on out is a way to heatsink the drivers and make the drive assembly
and LED heatsink plug into each other for ease of assembly/disassembly.

Anyway, heres a few pics.

photobucket-4162-1333655038249.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since my stupid cursor won't go where I want it to to edit my post I have to follow up! F-in computer pisses me off to no end!
Anyway, you can see the original LS20 heatsink on the right end followed by the new brass heatsink and finally the original LS20.1 heatsink on the left end.

photobucket-2614-1333654812156.jpg

photobucket-594-1333654885127.jpg

Z-Tab

Enlightened
That is an awesome design. Very impressive work. I hope that dual emitter set-up makes it into more than just the LS20.

fyrstormer

Banned
You use a GDuP driver in a PD light? How does that work? My mod just adds extra modes to the spotlight, but not to the floodlight. Have you figured out a way to do both?