McGizmo LS20 XP-G Update

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is an awesome design. Very impressive work. I hope that dual emitter set-up makes it into more than just the LS20.

Thank you. It's just for the LS20 at the moment.

frystormer, the GDuP is for the reflectored emitter....the XM-L is driven off the original driver for the 3mm LED's. So nothing different there...just the improved heatsink.

You use a GDuP driver in a PD light? How does that work? My mod just adds extra modes to the spotlight, but not to the floodlight. Have you figured out a way to do both?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
tx101, did you get my email? never heard back from ya.

No, I never received any reply ..... most probably, your email is lost somewhere on the net.

Still interested in getting my LS20 modded :)

Email send

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I never received any reply ..... most probably, your email is lost somewhere on the net.

Still interested in getting my LS20 modded :)

Email send

Looking forward to updating your light! Keep me updated on what you want to do!:thumbsup:

Heres an updated pic of Obi's LS20.1B
Had a chance to use it in a dark wooded area and was completely impressed by the output of the XP-G powered by a GDuP on high!:eek:
The large contact/surface area really does its job of transfering the heat to the head!
So far I'm completely happy with this new heatsink design of the simple aluminum proof of concept design.

photobucket-35822-1334275268526.jpg

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Wow, that looks superb. How much current is going to the XM-L and the XP-G and how does the UI work?
I presume that you mod users' existing LS20s and that you don't have any complete modded LS20s that you would consider selling?

fyrstormer

Banned
frystormer, the GDuP is for the reflectored emitter....the XM-L is driven off the original driver for the 3mm LED's. So nothing different there...just the improved heatsink.
Ah, so it's essentially the same as the Centauri mod, but with newer emitters installed as well.

Perhaps Don can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the flood driver outputs around 11V to support three LEDs wired in-series, with a ~3.6V voltage drop across each one. How does that work with the XM-L emitter?

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question, could you make this set up in a p60 package? I think it would be awesome.... Et me know, I would be own or e if not two.....

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bumping an old thread instead of starting another. When I was building Obiwans LS20.1, he had expressed interest in trying to make the flood have multiple levels. While I had made a rough prototype, I wasn't confident in the long term durability and so the idea was set on the back burner and his build had to move forward.

My LS20.2 has been carried just about everyday since I bought it and it was only a matter of time before my interest in making the flood have more levels would be peaked again.
One of the obsticals that needs to be worked around or made different is the small screw that secures the driver/contact assembly to the heatsink. Most drivers aren't small enough to either sit sideways or stacked in order to fit inside the head.
I had a few of the 4 level Nichia 219 L10 flashlights that I intended to keep around to sell to someone in need. Well those had thier drivers stipped from them, stacked on top of each other and wired to work in the same fashion as the original but , with more levels.
Flood first followed by the reflector. The flood is still a high CRI XP-G and the reflector has a Nichia 219 behind it.
So now I have 4 levels for BOTH emitters. Now this light really has some utility!:grin2:

Tighten the head until the flood comes on and then either tighten and loosen to change levels or cycle the clicky on the C-Pac. Tighten the head more and the reflector comes on. Tighten and loosen the head to cycle levels. If using the clicky to switch levels while both emitters are on, both will cycle simultaneously.
Currently this only works with the C-Pac since the flood stays on with the PD body. This is due to an unintended ground path that just needs to be isolated, then it'll work on the PD again.

The driver assembly isn't the most attractive piece but it fits and the small screw fits just fine. By using a flashlight under the driver to examine the electrical traces on the board looking where a notch could be made, I then carefully used my dremil to make the notch on both drivers to give clearance for that screw.

I see Obi sold his LS20.1 recently. Just figures some drivers are finally available that do what he wanted.:sick2:

photobucket-4023-1396978933813.jpg

photobucket-2733-1396978988283.jpg

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does not make the idea any less appealing to me.

You finally got it working!! Well F-ing done.

You really are the man around here with these finest of fine mods.

I will regret letting that light go.

But if I am honest, my family cannot afford your work in the long run. I carry these...and I had to cut back somewhere. And your light, regardless of it's user condition...was simply the most unobtainium I had. Having nearly lost it, I decided it was someone else's turn.

Thanks for all you do. Your creativity is inspiring to me, even if the light is no longer in my pocket.

obi

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having bought Obi's LS20.1 I have to say it is an amazing mod for the LS20. I love every aspect of it! The fact that it is a user give it lots of character.

This new LS20.2 upgrade is truly amazing. The way the drivers have been stacked is wild. It's not a necessary upgrade for me though - the one level flood is a perfect option as anything further than what the flood can illuminate needs the reflector anyway. I'd be really curious to know in the long run if the multiple switching options may begin to get confusing as it seems that there is a high probability of the levels to get out of sync. Switching issues aside - this is a stellar mod!

Oh - one thing I would be curious about is if with the stacking it would be possible to replace the flood driver with a more efficient single mode low driver and keep the multi-mode reflector.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Kaichu dento, send me a PM, maybe I can help.

Obi, I really wish this option in drivers was available sooner so we could have made the LS20.1 to your specs. I've misplaced mine on a few occasions and the feeling is sickening. Luckily, it's always somewhere safe in the end. Partial credit must be given to you for input on what would transpire, so thank you for that!

SOYCD, I'm happy to hear the light is in your possession and that you're enjoying it. I'm a big fan of a nice flood beam and, for me, having multiple levels there allows much more flexibility in how my light will perform for the given task. I loved my Tri-V2 and carried it with me everywhere. It was kept in a protective case in my backpack so was never easily accessible and therefore not used as much. I also found that the aspherical lense wasn't used much either. The flood and reflector were by far the most used. I sold it since I could use the money for something else (Brigdeport mill). The LS20.2 gives me flood and reflector with multiple levels for each and so takes the place of the the Tri-V2 for my type of use. I usually have my 007T turbohead on hand when I need real throw.
The mode switching hasn't been a problem as long as you're paying attention to what you're doing. The only way to get out of sync is by human error.
As for finding another single mode driver to replace the stock one, I really have no idea since I've never looked into it. I'll take multi level every time so was just never considered. Sorry I can't be more help there.

Gunga, I answered this question in detail in your marketplace thread.

I spent some time isolating that ground, and it now functions as it should on the original PD body.
Twist for flood. Twist On/Off to cycle levels.
Twist further for the reflector and twist On/Off to cycle levels.
Generally I'll keep the flood on low if I'm using the reflectored beam but like the abilty to mix them.

The LS20.2 is now at a point where I feel very content with its form and functionality and look forward to an adventurous summer to put it through some tough use.

Last edited: