• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo & Strider

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I have several SnG's and PT's...All mine were gifts from my wife and daughter, like your's were, PSM!!

Don't forget about Hinderer's XM-18's, they are the ones I like best. I have been carrying my orange XM-18 since I got it a year ago. I think it was a year?

And, remember Spyderco's are excellent also. My wife just bought me an orange Manix to go with the Hinderer, Orange Military, Orange MD2 Malkoff, and Orange HDS Ra Clicky.

They all match the custom made Knoll bright orange chairs in my office reception area. There is quite a bit of orange here...

My collection of folders includes CR Sebenza's, Emerson Customs, and late 90's production Emerson's, custom Pat Crawford, Pat makes great knives, and Allen Elishewitz models.

Knives are a huge money pit. With that said, Spyderco, and Benchmade offer fantastic work at good prices.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer McGizmo's and Hinderer's or McGizmo's and CRK's but to each his own!

011-1.jpg

001-5.jpg

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Having "only" a large Sebenza, I feel inadequate just reading this thread :nana:

If you like full custom knives, check out a maker in Memphis, Tennessee - Jerry McDonald: http://www.mcdonaldknives.com/Knives/k17.html

I have a similar two-blade trapper, and the workmanship is stunning for a knife selling for just $550 - which is close to the price of some Striders & Hinderers. He's a really nice guy, very modest about his work.

fyrstormer

Banned
Well, for a second I thought "maybe I'll finally break down and get a Hinderer; I've always liked the way they look." Then I saw the price -- twice as much as I paid for my Haiku! And unlike the Haiku it's guaranteed to wear out eventually, because it's a knife and its sharp edge is rubbed against things. Consumable tools should not be so expensive.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, for a second I thought "maybe I'll finally break down and get a Hinderer; I've always liked the way they look." Then I saw the price -- twice as much as I paid for my Haiku! And unlike the Haiku it's guaranteed to wear out eventually, because it's a knife and its sharp edge is rubbed against things.Consumable tools should not be so expensive.

So are LED's but we still buy expensive lights. The LED will probably be long obsolete by the time you really noticed significant wear to a Hinderer blade. I've owned 3 and there isn't a better knife made as far as quality goes. I sold or traded them because the secondary market has gone bonkers compared to what I paid and there are a great many knives made just as well who's demand does not drive the price to unobtanium levels for a non-custom.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
As far as Hinderer knives go, I have a XM18 and a XM24. I know they are expensive and know eventually they will wear out. But just like my McGizmo made flashlight, I have great pleasure knowing the knife clipped to my pocket is of the highest quality. If the SHTF, or my kids sandwich needs cutting, I know my blade won't fail on me. :)

fyrstormer

Banned
So are LED's but we still buy expensive lights. The LED will probably be long obsolete by the time you really noticed significant wear to a Hinderer blade. I've owned 3 and there isn't a better knife made as far as quality goes. I sold or traded them because the secondary market has gone bonkers compared to what I paid and there are a great many knives made just as well who's demand does not drive the price to unobtanium levels for a non-custom.
The LED may become obsolete but in 100 years the amount of light produced by a Haiku will still be useful. As I don't plan on running it continuously for several years straight, its decreasing brightness will likely take longer than my lifetime to become noticeable. Also, replacing LEDs is easy compared to replacing knife blades. I can dull a carbon-steel WW2-era machete in a single day, and have done so. (fortunately my dad has a bench grinder.) Knives don't last long around me because I use them to the limits of their capabilities.

PSM, I certainly hope you wipe the sh** off your knife before you cut your kid's sandwich with it. ;)

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED may become obsolete but in 100 years the amount of light produced by a Haiku will still be useful. As I don't plan on running it continuously for several years straight, its decreasing brightness will likely take longer than my lifetime to become noticeable. Also, replacing LEDs is easy compared to replacing knife blades. I can dull a carbon-steel WW2-era machete in a single day, and have done so. (fortunately my dad has a bench grinder.) Knives don't last long around me because I use them to the limits of their capabilities.

PSM, I certainly hope you wipe the sh** off your knife before you cut your kid's sandwich with it. ;)

I'm not here to argue but there is a very big difference between WWII era carbon steel (most likely spring steel) and the super steels used in semi-custom/custom knives. I've seen many people use a Hinderer to the extreme (well documented on Rick's USN forum) and I would be surprised if anyone wore out a blade in a lifetime from routine use and sharpening but each to their own.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Oh well. Learn something new every day. I still wish there were smaller and less-expensive options, because it's just not practical for me to carry a $2000 monster knife with me everywhere I go.

non

Newly Enlightened
Look at the Lionsteel SR-1 Titanium. Bulletproof Folder.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I think there are people that like nice things, and seek the best products in whatever area.

As for a good EDC knife, Spyderco makes wonderful knives, and are very reasonable.

Also, if you find a Hinderer dealer, you will not have to pay what you think for an XM-18, my last one was $375.00! You may have to wait, though.

Good luck,

RL

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Lionsteel SR-1 Titanium. Bulletproof Folder.

I've checked the youtube footage of this SR-1 Ti, and wow, it's a quality folder, esp considering the price.
It almost makes other folders custom or production look :party: .

I'll be looking for this SR-1 all over the place, unless I bailed out from the folders a few years ago. I feel relieved. :)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
My son has a Strider (or three) and they are a well built knife. For me, the Strider is a little big to clip into a pocket, meaning it would need a case or pouch for belt carry.

The Sebenza is as large a knife as I want in a jeans pocket, & it still has a fair amount of weight. Most days, a Benchmade Allen Elishewitz 690SBC1 is the knife of choice, although the MicroTech UTX-70 is another favorite.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I wonder what knife Don prefers?

I would guess that 90% of what I cut is tape on packaging. For this I prefer a good box cutter (folde)r with the ease of blade replacement. Now that I live on Maui I don't carry a knife on me like I did when I lived in CA and wore long pants with plenty of pockets. If I have the pocket room, I will carry a small boker Ti/Ceramic folder as a should the need arise cutting edge. It's only good for small cutting tasks though. I have a couple Mission Ti folders that I often have in my beach gear or when I am paddling. I have a Benchmade X15-TN #7 rescue hook strap cutter mounted on the blade of one of my swim fins and I guess this is the only real EDC for me. It's cutting edge had been compromised by the salt environment and I need to replace it. I wish there was a similar tool made with a material impervious to the environment I subject it to. :shrug:

A knife I could get excited about would be a good quality, all Ti folder that would host the replaceable utility box cutter blades. I would have the option of using the regular steel blades for normal use and always put in a ceramic blade if I planned to take the knife our for a swim or dive. If I were to attempt to design or build a knife for myself, that would be the criteria. I think I could be enticed into buying an expensive knife sporting a NiTiNOL blade provided the rest of the knife was also impervious to the elements.

The only self defense related tools I would consider as an EDC for me are my rubber slippers; a sometimes significant improvement over bare feet should the need for retreat arise. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
Don, if you design a knife, I think MANY of us would be interested in having one. :naughty: :poke: