• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo & Strider

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess that 90% of what I cut is tape on packaging. For this I prefer a good box cutter (folde)r with the ease of blade replacement. Now that I live on Maui I don't carry a knife on me like I did when I lived in CA and wore long pants with plenty of pockets. If I have the pocket room, I will carry a small boker Ti/Ceramic folder as a should the need arise cutting edge. It's only good for small cutting tasks though. I have a couple Mission Ti folders that I often have in my beach gear or when I am paddling. I have a Benchmade X15-TN #7 rescue hook strap cutter mounted on the blade of one of my swim fins and I guess this is the only real EDC for me. It's cutting edge had been compromised by the salt environment and I need to replace it. I wish there was a similar tool made with a material impervious to the environment I subject it to. :shrug:

A knife I could get excited about would be a good quality, all Ti folder that would host the replaceable utility box cutter blades. I would have the option of using the regular steel blades for normal use and always put in a ceramic blade if I planned to take the knife our for a swim or dive. If I were to attempt to design or build a knife for myself, that would be the criteria. I think I could be enticed into buying an expensive knife sporting a NiTiNOL blade provided the rest of the knife was also impervious to the elements.

The only self defense related tools I would consider as an EDC for me are my rubber slippers; a sometimes significant improvement over bare feet should the need for retreat arise. :)

Don,

You should contact a fellow Hawaiian named Tom Mayo. Tom is a master and a legend in the custom knife field and his folders are highly sought after, functional works of art, kinda like this flashlight maker I know from Hawaii! ;) In addition to all Ti frames and hardwear, Tom often uses a supersteel called Stellite 6K which is virtually impervious to salt water environments and oxidation. Mayo's knives are not cheap but handmade things of this nature rarely are. They are well worth the effort though, I'm still hunting for my first. :devil:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple Mission Ti folders that I often have in my beach gear or when I am paddling.

Don, I wonder how strong your Mission Ti folders are holding in your salty sea environment. I myself use Mission MPU7 small utility Ti fixed blades, can be a neck knife if one wishes it to be, which I find much reliable over folders. :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Octaf,
The utter neglect and environment I subject the Mission knives to has absolutely no effect on them. They look the same now as they did years ago when I first purchased them. I have an out of production fixed blade Ti dive knife from Scubapro that was made in Japan and it is probably 20 years or more old and it too looks like new. It is mounted on my BC and gets no attention. Were I to use these knives on any regular basis the edges would not hold up and need sharpening but these knives are there for emergency use only. No use = zero maintenance regardless of where or how stored.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to play too, but I don't have an expensive knife to show off. I do own the Boker ceramic and Ti mentioned above, but I lent it to my gal for her purse. :shrug:

Haiku_01.jpg

Frank

:)

non

Newly Enlightened
I have a small fixed blade neck knife out of titanium. It is chisel ground and the back has been carbide embedded. The idea being the softer ti will wear away and the super hard carbide will stay and create a pseudo self shapening effect. Virtually everyone is doing Ti blades like this now.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Don, I wonder how strong your Mission Ti folders are holding in your salty sea environment. I myself use Mission MPU7 small utility Ti fixed blades, can be a neck knife if one wishes it to be, which I find much reliable over folders. :)

In 1999, my wife bought me a Mission MPK folder, and I almsost lost it in Hawaii, on a tirp there a month later, snorleking, of course.

Before I got it, I spoke to the engineer at Mission's Orange County, CA factoty, and he told me they have a salt water tank in the office with a mission folder laying on the bottom for over six years and it looked brand new.

This knife is as close to flawless as (Yes, I know - Don't say it) can be made to date.

If you can get a mission, they are great. I used to saunter thru the world's airports, and all the fights in Las Vegas, with no detection!

Starting September 12, 2001...I stopped traveling with it. I had a two year run with a great knife while traveling by air.

Still have it, and it is one I will not get rid of.
Best,

RL

Last edited:

Blackmore

Newly Enlightened
cf5195bd.jpg

I'm kind of one the fence with Strider and Hinderer, like both

But I love my new Haiku!
Of course I'm brand new to McGizmo's so I guess that'll happen :)

89b6d68e.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Awesome clip setup on that Sapphire blackfly! Are all those pieces Ti? I should rig up a swivel like that to go on my P7 suspension clip for when I'm in dress pants. Usually will hang an Aeon or other small light on there. The swivel is a great addition.

blackfly

Enlightened
Awesome clip setup on that Sapphire blackfly! Are all those pieces Ti? I should rig up a swivel like that to go on my P7 suspension clip for when I'm in dress pants. Usually will hang an Aeon or other small light on there. The swivel is a great addition.

I use this clip setup with all of my small lights. Usually I clip them to a Ti ball chain necklace. The swivels I get from Unique Titanium. The titanium McGizmo clip & size 6 split rings I get from lighthound.

nbp

Flashaholic
One of these days I have to get me one of these big beefy knives. My flashlight addiction has ensured that my knife addiction has been kept to more reasonably priced knives, but man oh man, some of these Striders and Hinderers are sooo cool. :wow:

nbp

Flashaholic
....there are a great many knives made just as well who's demand does not drive the price to unobtanium levels for a non-custom.

Do share Jason. :poke:

You guys really suck, you know that? I just went browsing after re-reading this thread and came upon lots of amazing knives, way out of my price range. :drool: I love the look of the Hinderers but they seem to be all in the $500-600 range. What's out there with a similar design for maybe half that?

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I love the look of the Hinderers but they seem to be all in the $500-600 range. What's out there with a similar design for maybe half that?

Start watching Les George's web site. If he opens the list back up for a VECP get on it. Also be on the look out for one of his ESR's.

I also know that the Hinderer / Zero Tolerance ZT0550 has been getting some good reviews.

The tick titanium frame looks are popular right now. If you start looking there is really alot out there.

Last edited: