• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo's Record For Reliability

nbp

Flashaholic
For over a year now I have been EDCing another very popular brand, known for toughness and reliability. While I love the UI on these lights, I have had a variety of issues with the ones I have. Warranty on them is great, but that doesn't help if it dies in a real situation. I'm kinda gun-shy with this brand now, and I don't know what to do.

I'm partial to the 1x123 form factor for EDC lights, and I want something I can grab every day without worry that today I may have issues with it. Will a McGizmo fulfill that purpose? How is the track record for reliability on Don's lights? Have there been many failures over the years? Feed me some data if you will. :)

If I do go with a Gizmo at some point, where's a good place to start? Haiku? Something else? Being that much of the older nomenclature predates my history here, I find it very confusing and wouldn't know what I was looking at if it popped up for sale.

Thanks for your help all. :thumbsup:

stoli67

Enlightened
I have had my haiku for a while now and while I do not carry it every day, I have had no problems with it. I guess any light with a clicky switch could potentially fail at some point but this has not happened to me yet....

Also the ahiku is a solid light and quite a looker :)

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reason I started with Don's lights is because of their reputation. His engines are solidly built with function and performance as this primary concerns. His switch design is an industry standard. His reflectors are industry standards. And his lights are well machined pieces. In terms of semi-customs, I'd say he's got the best line going at the moment.

I have a Makai, and two mules. One of my mules is a custom Mirage Man head with a FluPIC SST50 light engine, so maybe this one shouldn't be counted. But the mule (XPG standard) and Makai (both 1x123) have been flawless up till now.

I am sure I will own a Haiku at some moment. Maybe now that the XML is offered.....

obi

nbp

Flashaholic
Those are good reports so far. I'm not terribly concerned about the clicky switches actually. I have McClickies in two of my SF lights and they have been great. They are tough switches. Most issues in reliability I have had with lights are electronics based. I can see Don builds his lights to handle environmental duress, that is clear. How about the brains? I'm interested in continued thoughts from you McGizmo EDC folks. :wave:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ENC'd at various times a Haiku, LS20, and PD-S. I have never had even one moment of a reliability hiccup or concern.

fyrstormer

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen a report of a McGizmo failing in service. A couple have had problems immediately after delivery, but those were taken care of quickly.

If there are any weak points on McGizmos, it's the rubber seals around the lense and the switch, but that's true for any light of a similar design. Don takes his snorkeling sometimes, so there's one data point for their waterproofness.

I'd like to see someone stick a McGizmo on a deep-sea fishing line and lower it into the ocean in 50-foot increments to see what its true maximum durability is. I'd offer one of mine for testing, but I don't have any duplicates kicking around and I'm not made of money. :crazy:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nick,

I'm no expert but let me give you a couple quick thoughts if I may. First, like you I am a big fan of those "other" lights but at the end of the day I've come to realize just how functional and reliable the McGizmo light can be. More so than it's "smarter" counterpart. For me, the more I use my lights in real world scenarios I put a higher emphasis on efficiency and simplicity. In the Haiku for instance, the 3 modes are simple to access and perfect for anything I may encounter really, runtimes seem to be more than adequate. I used to really love the electronic switch of the "other" light but since I've gotten my Haiku there is nothing like a McClicky. Electronic switch...you need to send it in if it goes **** up. McClikie, you can actually change out yourself. I can't speak to my McGizmo's reliability since I've only owned it a few months and have recently started carrying it religiously but I can't imagine having any issues and I don't think I've ever even read of one? Like you I really liked my "other" lights but always found myself wondering about one of Don's creations, I spent the better half of a year kicking the tires on weather or not I should take the plunge and once I finally did I can honestly say "best light I ever bought" for sure, in form and function. I went after the Haiku warm based on it's versatility as a EDC light. I think for what's currently offered that is a good place to start researching. Hope some of this helps. Good luck!

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I have carried a Haiku every day for almost a year now. I did have a bad switch when it arrived and Don sent me a new one and I was able to replace it myself. There are several threads discussing the durability of his lights and cannot recall a single thread were someone was gripping about issues with theirs. I think the Haiku is the best place to start. There are several great reviews out there. run4jc's basically sold me on my. One thing I really have come to appreciate is the simplicity. 3 modes and a perfect balance between throw and flood.

I recently switched to a High CRI light engine and really enjoy that form as well.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Regarding the "other" light that you guys are talking about, the two things that bugged me about it were the parasitic battery drain and the lack of a decent clip. I can tolerate battery drain in boutique lights that I only use for special purposes *cough*Tri-V*cough*, but for something that stays clipped in my pocket for days at a time I want the least amount of battery drain when I'm not using it. (self-discharge is bad enough.) Also, I've never carried my lights bezel-up, because flipping the light around in my hand after I pull it out of my pocket just adds another half-second or so before I can see what's making that rustling noise in the distance. Some critters can traverse a pretty fair distance in that extra half-second. Add to that the very limited availability of the "who cares if I drop it?" titanium version of the other light, and the near-impossibility of end-user service, and while it might be a durable tool it loses to the Haiku on several fronts. I tried both, kept the Haiku, and sold the other.

The Haiku is also very easy to modify. I wanted a Hi-CRI version like the other light offered, so I bought a used Haiku, melted the emitter off the board, and epoxied an SSC P4 Hi-CRI in its place. Nowadays you can get one brand-new with a Nichia Hi-CRI emitter if you want high-quality light, or a Cree XM-L if you want extra brightness and flood, or an XR-E if you want a bit more throw, or an XP-G if you want the highest possible efficiency. If you ask real nice Don might even build you a 2-cell version using Makai parts. Best of several worlds in one very versatile light.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks guys for the replies! Some really good advice and thoughts so far, very helpful. :thumbsup: I can see some of you think a lot like me. Jason, you read my mind, man. :grin2:

As far as the other lights I mentioned EDCing, I really don't want anyone to think I am bashing them. I think they are fantastic, some of the best lights made. The designer is a genius, the UI is probably the most flexible of any production light made, they are tough beyond belief and I personally find them ergonomically and aesthetically pleasing. I intend to keep the ones I have and continue to use them (including the one blanketed in Ti goodness, fyrstormer, :nana: ) However, of the 5 I have, 4 of them have had glitchy issues on me. (And fyrstormer, you are correct, end-user service is nil, they are very complex. However, parasitic drain is negligible. Their drain is akin to the self discharge a CR123 would experience in a box on a shelf.) I know that there are thousands of perfectly good units out there with no issues, and I seem to have just gotten the raw end of the probability stick, but facts are facts. Right or wrong, I am kinda jaded now, and I don't necessarily feel comfortable with them as my primary EDC lights. It just is. Granted I always have backups on me, but still, how do I feel prepared with that in the back of my head? I don't know...it's tough, I feel kinda bad even saying all that as I have such respect for the man and the company.

Anyways, I digress. My point is that I kind of want to return to a sort of tried and true, more "simplistic" design if you will. After a few years now of EDCing lights in general, I think that high quality and high reliability are paramount, as are then UI and aesthetics. It seems that McGizmos do well in all these areas. My only qualm so far is the lack of an ultra-low on the Haiku. But I have enough other lights that do low-low that I don't think it will be a problem. Most of my normal EDC tasks I would click on my light to the ~20 lm mark anyways, while the low-lows come into play usually at home, where the other lights are. So I think I'm ok there.

Then the price. They are expensive, that's true. However I have come to the realization that if I have an item that does its job really really well for me, I don't tend to "window shop" a whole lot. So while the initial investment is high, if it turns out that one of Don's lights knocks my socks off, I can easily keep from being persuaded to buy new stuff. I am past that "latest and greatest" phase of flashaholism, as is indicated by the number of lights I use that still have SSC P4s in them :shakehead ...what can I say, it's a great emitter! So if the Haiku or other Gizmo is the pinnacle of EDC perfection for me as it is for some of you, I likely won't be tempted to buy other things, so it's basically a wash anyways.

So that's a whole bunch of rambling. If you have thoughts on any of it, that's cool, if not that's cool too. Or just additional reliability experiences from lights in the field are good too. :)

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many of Don's lights. I EDC a Ti PD-S which looking back at my records was purchased from Don on 2nd May 2007, so just over 4 years. It is as solid as the day it arrived. I would trust nothing else as my sole EDC. :thumbsup:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd just like to chime in and say I have been putting McGizmo's PD lights through the wringer since 2006 and have not encountered a single problem. Don designs his lights to last, and it shows! There are pictures floating around here of my Ti PD-S Mizer which has certainly seen better days...

I did have water leakage burn out a circuit board (it lost the low mode) but after having the o-ring swapped for the next size up not a problem since. Don's lights are not potted so that they can be upgraded later with ease, a small downside that means you do rely on having a good watertight seal.

Last edited:

Moka

Enlightened
My Haiku Hi-CRI is my EDC, Before that a Lunasol 20, and I also have a SunDrop XR-U I use around the house... No signs of any failure in any... As was mentioned the only weak point is the Lens, possibly... But the o-rings are difficult enough to get out when you want to, I highly doubt they'll fall out from general use ever.
As for the McClicky, there are very VERY few items/components/products designed that have a failure rate as low as them!

Although they are expensive and have required a lot of commitment and saving for me to buy even just one, I have never regretted a purchase simply for the fact I know these lights will most likely outlive me.

fyrstormer

Banned
I did have water leakage burn out a circuit board (it lost the low mode) but after having the o-ring swapped for the next size up not a problem since. Don's lights are not potted so that they can be upgraded later with ease, a small downside that means you do rely on having a good watertight seal.
I coat all my driver boards with clear nail polish on both sides to minimize that risk.

On another note, I'd be interested to see what your kilroys look like at this point, assuming you've used the twisty function on a regular basis and scrubbed the kilroys quite a bit. My impression is the beryllium-copper alloy holds up better than the normal copper used in the Arc6, but I'm still curious to see what a kilroy with several years of use looks like.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the "other" light that you guys are talking about, the two things that bugged me about it were the parasitic battery drain and the lack of a decent clip.
For the record, the parasitic drain in the "other" light is, in fact, no greater than a battery's natural tendency to discharge, so there is effectively no parasitic drain at all. Also there are decent clips available if you look around (except for the latest model which lacks a removable tail cap).

That said, certainly McGizmo makes some beauties.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The parasitic drain may be minimal, but it still isn't necessary. The Haiku manages to allow access to multiple modes while using a hardware switch that fully disconnects the battery when off; I consider this to be a superior design because when it's off, it's really and truly off. But that's just me; other people might not care about such things.

RocketTomato

Enlightened
Then the price. They are expensive, that's true. However I have come to the realization that if I have an item that does its job really really well for me, I don't tend to "window shop" a whole lot. So while the initial investment is high, if it turns out that one of Don's lights knocks my socks off, I can easily keep from being persuaded to buy new stuff. I am past that "latest and greatest" phase of flashaholism, as is indicated by the number of lights I use that still have SSC P4s in them :shakehead ...what can I say, it's a great emitter! So if the Haiku or other Gizmo is the pinnacle of EDC perfection for me as it is for some of you, I likely won't be tempted to buy other things, so it's basically a wash anyways.

That's mostly true except that McGizmo's are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

noelex

Newly Enlightened
Reliability is the most important criterion for me.
I considered "the other light" (which I assume is a HDS), but there are lots of reports of failures and bugs.
I use my Haiku for at least an hour a day (You need a flashlight a lot when you live on a boat) and its been rock solid. Like others I think it will outlast me.
The other benefit is the titanium is much more tolerant of abuse from EDC. Scratches don't show and can be polished out if they really bother you.
There are lots of good flashlights. HDS is one of them, but some people buying lights like HDS don't consider the custom option and given the quality of Dons workmanship that's a pity.