• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo's Record For Reliability

nbp

Flashaholic
I am perilously close to being pushed over the edge on this, guys. Not one complaint about relability yet...except for carrot, but we already knew he doesn't know how to use a flashlight properly. :nana:

nbp

Flashaholic
:crackup:

It's gorgeous but way out of my price range! I'm thinking gently used Haiku in the $350-$400 dollar range is more my style. :). I've got a Milky creation that's probably going to have to go on the Mod B/S/T block to help fund this too.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problems with any of mine - all the older ones have been EDC'd; Ti-PD-S, Al-PD, Oilslick Mule, LS20, LS27, BB Haiku (original XR-E, GREAT), LT-27 (XP-G). The newer ones have not had as much love; Haiku head with Makai 6V light engine (warm XP-G, 1040 mA) and Neutral Makai XP-G Neutral that was boosted to 1200 mA. To be truthful - the Makia has only been fired up in basement & the Haiku head just once as well. Job change, moving, travel, etc...

All Robust, all just fit right in the hand, the ergonomics are fantastic. And you cannot get just one.

fyrstormer

Banned
:crackup:

It's gorgeous but way out of my price range! I'm thinking gently used Haiku in the $350-$400 dollar range is more my style. :). I've got a Milky creation that's probably going to have to go on the Mod B/S/T block to help fund this too.
If you're prepared to pay $400, you might as well save another $50 (or is it less?) and get one brand-new. Not that the used ones will have anything wrong with them, but...you know...it's new.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I am no expert, and kind of new to Don's lights, but I have been EDC'ing the Haiku I bought new from Don in January, and I just cannot imagine there being any problems with his lights. They are just wonderful!

In addition to the Haiku, I put together, and am also EDC'ing the McClicky switch/Valiant Concepts VEM Head/Malkoff M31 Drop-in, and man, what a cool light!!! It really is, and until you have one of these, it is hard to appreciate it fully.

Think about this: Three of the best semi-custom/custom makers in the world are involved in the engineering of this light. Once all the items are together, it makes for one of the best lights ever.

It seems to me there are no worries with any of the McGizmo products, and I plan to buy more, no doubt, and soon!

Best wishes,

Ned Redway

nbp

Flashaholic
If you're prepared to pay $400, you might as well save another $50 (or is it less?) and get one brand-new. Not that the used ones will have anything wrong with them, but...you know...it's new.

That is just what I did!!! At least for your first one, it would be nice.

Point well taken. :)

I might as well make sure the love marks are all from OUR time together. :naughty:

carrot

Flashaholic
Think about this: Three of the best semi-custom/custom makers in the world are involved in the engineering of this light. Once all the items are together, it makes for one of the best lights ever.

And with threading based on Surefire's standard, you have FOUR greats in the flashlight world all together in one marvel!

nbp

Flashaholic
Ok, so I'm clear, Haikus are offered with a choice of XR-E, XP-G, XP-G warm, XM-L, and Nichia Hi CRI emitters, correct?

I think that an XP-G warm would suit me well. My only other XP-G based light is a Quark Mini Ti Neutral tint. Does someone have one of these that can give me some feedback on what to expect from a warm Haiku based on that? Or else compared to a hi cri HDS clicky. I have one of those too.

Thanks for all the assistance and advice to a McGizmo noob. :)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I'm new to McGizmo's, too.

I have had Surefire's since the late 80's, and still have a ton of them, still love them and still use them, but the McGizmo lights offer a different look, and feel. This is a custom product, and that makes them unique to have with you. No one else you meet, day to day will have one, and people love to look at the unique work, and bare metal.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

NR

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lots of good flashlights. HDS is one of them, but some people buying lights like HDS don't consider the custom option and given the quality of Dons workmanship that's a pity.
I don't think it's that people haven't considered them as much as the fact that $400+ is a hell of a lot of money!

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I don't think it's that people haven't considered them as much as the fact that $400+ is a hell of a lot of money!

I used to think the same thing. But then I realized I owned six $150 lights. I sold three of them and bought a McGizmo. In the long run I think I will end up saving money.

I also realized that the less lights / knives I own, the more I can use the ones I have. I guess what I am trying to say is that I get enjoyment from using the light, not having it sitting in the safe. By having less lights in the safe I can afford to have a nicer one in my pocket.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to think the same thing. But then I realized I owned six $150 lights. I sold three of them and bought a McGizmo. In the long run I think I will end up saving money.

I also realized that the less lights / knives I own, the more I can use the ones I have. I guess what I am trying to say is that I get enjoyment from using the light, not having it sitting in the safe. By having less lights in the safe I can afford to have a nicer one in my pocket.

As Mike Snody would say, "That's real talk!"

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a flashlight collection to liquidate then the cost of a McGizmo is easier to swallow, but if you're someone like me who pretty much sticks to one flashlight at a time, let's just say "ouch". :)

At any rate, I'd be more tempted to buy a high CRI Haiku if it had a lower low (1 lumen or less would be ideal) and no last-used memory (I prefer lights that always default to the lowest setting).

bmcgators98

Enlightened
If you have a flashlight collection to liquidate then the cost of a McGizmo is easier to swallow, but if you're someone like me who pretty much sticks to one flashlight at a time, let's just say "ouch". :)

Good point. I use to own two flashlights. Then once I found this site that quickly ballooned up to seven or 8. Now I am back down to about 4. I finally realized that I did not need one of everything.

Last edited:

Belial

Newly Enlightened
Haiku XP-G have carried it everywhere for about six months. I love this light over any light I own. Even underwater it holds up!