• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

"McR- xx" Reflectors

McGizmo

Flashaholic
David,

By chopped, I meant reducing the OD down to Larry's target diameter; a removal of the front end. The 19 mm has a much shorter focal length than the 20 mm so even at reduced diameters, you still have a reasonably deep and effective reflector. With the Luxeon's, the 19 can be stood off up to .060" to tighten and sharpen the projection of the beam. The light loss from backing the LED away from the reflector is more than made up for by the gain in the more intense rays which are then being redirected by the reflector.

I have a modded Mag AA that hosts a McR-19 and when you first turn it on, you have a good flood beam. As you adjust the reflector further away from the LED, you can see light from the corona fan into a spot that provides more reach (throw) of the beam. Unlike the stock light with the incan, this adjustment from flood to spot is artifact and donut free.

The McR-18 are currently in very short supply but I have a large order in process. Its versatility in retrofit was not fully appreciated or explored and although the shoppe started out with a fair number of reflectors there were apparently a couple orders in quantities that essentially cleaned the inventory out. I have a few more I held back in personal reserve that I will get to Wayne and Cindy and perhaps the members here can go light on the quantities ordered to spread the access for experimentation until the shelves get filled once again.

For any given focal length of a parabolic or psuedo parabolic curve, as you increase the depth of the reflector by providing more reflective surface further away from the focal pont or LED, you increase the percentage of light output that is managed by and redirected by the reflector. Due to imperfections in the reflective surface (orange peel) as well as a non infinitely small point source of light (image) and deviations in the curve as well as focal allignment, a deeper reflector of the same focal length can be seen to concentrate both the spot and corona portions of the beem into smaller angles of distribution with higher intensities of light within. To my vision, more significant and noticible at a glance than the increase of the throw of the spot is the increase in effective range of the corona.

The 19, 27L and 45 mm reflectors are examples of this. It is beyond the spot where the strength of these reflectors can be seen, IMHO. The trade off is of course in real estate and flashlight size required to support the deeper reflectors. Both the corona and spot portions of a projected LED have a field of view and range in which they are viable for illumination. Variations in the depth of reflector used, of the same focal length, will act on both the throw as well as the field of view for both spot and corona but not to the same magnitude. With a perfectly smooth and alligned reflector acting on a relatively small image or source, increasing the depth of the reflector would increase the intensity of the spot with little change in its field of view. This increase would have little effect on the intensity of the corona but it would reduce its field of view as the exit angle of direct (non reflected) light is reduced. With orange peel, on the surface, the reflected beam is more divergent and some light is out of column and added to the corona. Increasing the depth of an orange peeled reflector Reduces the apparent field of view of the spot, reduces tha actual field of view of the corona and increases the intensity of light in both portions of the beam. Of significance, at least to me, increasing the depth of an orange peeled reflector also blurs the transition edge in the portion of the beam where you go from the spot into the corona region. The contrast of light in the overall beam is reduced by a deeper orange peeled reflector.

hifipenny

Newly Enlightened
Don,
It seems you have already updated the McR-27, the opening of the McR-27 in the first picture is smaller than the original McR-27, and there is also something different in the bottom.
Great work!
Wondering when this new reflector will be available

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
HiFipenny! Oh man! Now I need to re-shoot the pictures! :green:

Good observation! That reflector is not a McR-27 but an original Pelican M6 incan reflector! :eek: Haste makes waste and I just grabbed parts out of an "optics" box to get the photo done. :rolleyes: :banghead:

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
McR -14.25 in the "works."

site1057.JPG

:nana:

Larry

:faint::faint::sweat:WOW very very nice Larry

Doug

sflate

Enlightened
Being metal do these provide any worthwhile heatsinking to a lux? Because of the placement over the lux I'm thinking not.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
sflate,
The reflectors that seat down on the LED have poor thermal contact there but may have decent thermal contact within the head walls and if so, add to the "thermal reservoir". In other cases and depending on the application, the reflectors may be in a good and direct contact with the Heat sink itself and again will add in mass capable of thermal relief. Ultimately the steady state of the light will be a function of how well and quickly the heat is passed beyond the light, prior to steady state, any material within the confines of the light that has reasonable thermal connection will serve and aid in sharing the thermal load.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of showing my ignorance: Do any of these reflectors work with xenon lamps? Or could they be adapted into a xenon lamp reflector?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The McR-27 is essentially similar to the PR (pelican reflector) in the PM6 ... that uses a Xenon lamp with very nice results. The rest of those McR-xx ... :shrug:
bernie

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone sucessfully used the MC18 or 20 in a FF2? Trying to build one out of a plastic 17 is not a socially uplifting event at best.

Leadfoot

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Paul,
These reflectors are designed with the image or light source directing light from essentially 90 degrees off axis and forward. An incan source has light emanating in more directions and any rearward light would not be utilized or sent forward by these reflectors. Their efficiency would be poor in most applications I would expect.

If you look at the reflector labled as McR-27 above, I mistakeningly used the original Pelican M6 reflector in that image. The McR-27 would be that reflector if the final "step" seen on the rear of the reflector were removed. That section should be present on the 38 mm as well as the 45 mm if it were to be used with the incan lamp that is in the Pelican M6.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will all "work" with xenon's, the PM6 reflector, which is very close to the McR27, was, after all, initially used with a xenon.

The secret is being able to place the filament at the right spot in the reflector and since all of these were designed to have the light source at the bottom, you will have to be very precise in the placement of the filament. That's tough to do, just sitting the bulb in and moving it around to find the ideal spot. Unlike Led's which have essentially a 180 degree light radiation, a filament radiates 360 degrees, so to best capture that, the filament should sit up inside the reflector.

So, I guess the answer is, Yes AND No!

EDIT: Well I started this then had to leave, then rewrote it and Don beat me to it!!

Bill

McGizmo

Flashaholic
sflate,
PDF's of McR-xx's

Allow +/- .005" and you will not have any problem. The tollerances of the reflectors are tighter than this in some cases; or at least they should be. :D

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Likewise, bookmarked! (And thanks!) I cut down a 19 last weekend, and dumb luck got it ~.06" above the LS. I still haven't made the time to make a light engine for some comparisons. I dearly begrudge the .210" it adds to the light over the cut-down 20. :( (But who knows, after sein' some beams, maybe :) )

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry,
That's .210" of prime photon country there! Use a shorter battery! :nana: