• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

"McR- xx" Reflectors

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
And the horse you rode-in-on, Don! :D I need to get serious, and get off my FFF fixation and get a light engine built. Making circuit boards with an Exacto/Dremel is somewhat of a PITA! Obligatory: :nana:

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry,
The FFF will always be with us and no need to rush on it! When it's ripe, we'll know it! :nana:

In the mean time, :nana:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Sway,
If I did a 52 mm reflector the way I would want it for a LED, the Mag bezel would need to be replaced with a much deeper one! :D

KFC,
THe 27L reflectors have been ordered and should show up mid next month.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
Sway,
If I did a 52 mm reflector the way I would want it for a LED, the Mag bezel would need to be replaced with a much deeper one! :D.

Aw Shucks! I figured as much.....I really like the McR's, the 20's I have in a Tri-Lux return U-Bin light meter readings with T-Bin's, nice!

Later
Kelly

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I believe Chop modified a 27 mm to fit in the KL3. For drop in, I suspect the 18 mm will replace the NX05 optic with little effort other than "cracking" the head open. It might be a nicer beam if you replace the LD with a HD as well.....

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent, thanks guys. It's hard to believe that that monster has only a NX05 in it. I guess I could put a Fraen LP in it and come up with a beam similar to the newer version since I think Chop will be otherwise engaged for a while.

-LT

PrebKlok

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo said:
McR-27: This is my first reflector of a parabolic nature

I am quite new to working with reflectors, so I tried to do some simulation in PovRay. When putting a tiny yellow sphere in the focus point of a parabolic reflector, it only showed a yellow doughnut ring when looking into the reflector. The ring increased in size when the sphere was moved into the reflector (from the back). When switching from a perspective camera to a orthographic camera, the reflector was suddenly filled up with the yellow color. I guess that means that a perfect parabolic reflector will only have hotspot, in the size of the reflector diameter, when using a infinity small light source in the focus point - since the rays are parallel with a orthographic camera.

What are the nature of the other reflectors, if not parabolic?

A year ago you send me a pdf-file with the schematics on the dimensions of the McR-20 in millimeters. Do you have schematics on the other reflectors?

red_robby

Enlightened
I did a KL3 mod,
The 27mm IMS needs to be sanded down.
Chop did use mcr-27's but he had to turn those down too, I know he used
to sell kits which included spacers for the Mcr.

buymysoul

Newly Enlightened
I know you said this about the Mcr-18
"McR-18 will retro-fit in many of the lights designed initially for the NX05 optic"

but that word "many"... :)

Has anybody tried one of these in an older KL1 head?

I hope I'm right in thinking the KL1 has a NX05. I'm new to all this and still learning...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I just tried one in a non functional KL1 head and the reflector will pop into the interior of the window gasket and it looks like a simple swap out to me.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18 looks like it is very close to fitting the Fenix lights. I know the Fenix reflector is threaded but so is the heat sink which might be used to hold the McR-18 in position. Anyone know if it will fit for certain?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just measure the OD of the heatsink itself at it is 0.7435", just shy of 0.8 = 18.89mm now assuming we know the thread depth, we can figure out of the thing will fit. My guess is that it will fit but don't take my word =P Good luck finding a MCR-18 as well!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Goldserve, they have 54 McR-18 reflectors in stock ($16.00/ea) at the sandwich shop. I'd like a larger hotspot and smoother transition to spill but I'm hesitant to order one cuz they aren't cheap and might not fit.

Last edited: