MH-C9000 and Eneloops charge rate

blaize

Newly Enlightened
Oops, I keep thinking they are AA batteries. :ohgeez:

Oh well, no real harm done. I guess the discharge will complete in about 1-2 hours and will be more like 700 mAh.
Right on both counts,
721 - 724 mah
Put other set ( 20 mins ones) on disharge initial reading 1.23v.
Any hope?

Eismagier

Newly Enlightened
Hope for the cells, yes. 720 mAh means that your AAA Eneloops were about 90% charged at the time the gamepad turned itself off. So the batteries are fine. The gamepad is crap.

billcushman

Enlightened
Last edited:

blaize

Newly Enlightened
Blaize - You need to replace the GamePad to solve the battery problem. This appears to be a quality wireless GamePad, powered by two AA batteries. Here is a link to the manual.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21426/kw//session/L3NpZC9PSVVyTDhyaw==

Check out the specifications on this unit and read the first user review, in which the user says battery life is excellent.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/devices/7361
I guess in my heart of hearts I knew it was going to be the gamepads, in some ways it's the cheaper and less hassle result than returning the batteries or charger.
Strangely enough I have been looking at alternative gamepads and the one you give the link to has come up a few times.
I think it uses AA not AAA so I will have to invest in some AA and be left with 8 AAA that I will have to find a use for somewhere. Investing in more batteries and gamepads is a bitter pill at the mo given the hassle and expense I have already gone to over what started out as a simple gift for my sons birthday.
Though such is life these days with constantly changing technology and a lot of that technology coming from china etc at prices that really are to good to be true.
I'd like to give a great big thanks to you all for the help, advice and time you have given, it may not be the result I'd wished for but it's a result that I feel confident to make an informed decision on thanks to you all.
Who knows if I will be back here again, I do not have the knowledge to help others here but I take my hat off to you for being here for dummies like me.
I do give advice on other forums so I do feel that I repay in some way.
Many,many thanks and all the best to you and yours in life.

P:S: May well come back to let you know the score if new gamepad better but at this mo I feel like just going back to the old wired ones.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on both counts,
721 - 724 mah
Put other set ( 20 mins ones) on disharge initial reading 1.23v.
Any hope?
These voltages are very good and healthy voltages for a discharging rechargeable battery.

Unfortunately as others have indicated above we have conclusively shown that the batteries and charger are working properly and the problem seems to be with the game pad. Please don't let this put you off rechargeable batteries though; you have acquired a very good charger and Eneloops are a very good choice of battery. If you have other things that use AA or AAA batteries (camera, flashlight, toothbrush, toys?) then rechargeable batteries can work out well.

In the case of the game pad there is still one more puzzle. You said that originally it ran for three days on the rechargeable batteries I think? This so far has not been explained by the tests we have done. Do you have a make or model number or link to the game pad in question where we might learn more about it?

Dry-cell

Enlightened
This will be the last time I show my results in this thread. Here are the results of the lastest pack of...

4 AA Sanyo Eneloops (old), dated 2010 (10-08ED)
Break-in: 2000mAh

Break-in Results

Slot 1: 1996 mAh

Slot 2: 1979 mAh

Slot 3: 1979 mAh

Slot 4: 1986 mAh​

blaize

Newly Enlightened
These voltages are very good and healthy voltages for a discharging rechargeable battery.

Unfortunately as others have indicated above we have conclusively shown that the batteries and charger are working properly and the problem seems to be with the game pad. Please don't let this put you off rechargeable batteries though; you have acquired a very good charger and Eneloops are a very good choice of battery. If you have other things that use AA or AAA batteries (camera, flashlight, toothbrush, toys?) then rechargeable batteries can work out well.

In the case of the game pad there is still one more puzzle. You said that originally it ran for three days on the rechargeable batteries I think? This so far has not been explained by the tests we have done. Do you have a make or model number or link to the game pad in question where we might learn more about it?
I have been a rechargable fella for years and will continue to be, I'm sure I will find a use for the eneloop AAA's, if the truth be known I am just annoyed at life having to be so complicated at times and especially to the point of having to spend hours trying to resolve such issues as these.
I too am very confused why the gamepads worked for so long first time but they aren't now and as the batteries are fine it can only be the gamepads, I mean 3 minutes use is just ridiculous.
Mr Happy, I have searched every nook and cranny on the gamepads to find any identifying marks but there is not one, which suggests that they don't want any one to know where or who manafactures them. They didn't even come with instructions. When I asked seller about that they said they came to them without them, how suss.
The hardest thing is explaining to my son why the world means you have to spend 3 months trying to resolve his birthday present.

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
I guess it's better then getting fake 1500 cycle Eneloops, the last pack I got from Amazon were marked 09.

I only needed a pack of 4, not 8-16 that the seller's were offering. They don't seem to ship Internationally. One seller who does only ships Expedited to Canada, and that costs 50$ on top of the price of the batteries!. :faint:

Hi Dry-Cell,

From one fellow Canadian to another.
(1) Shopper's Drug Mart [Duraloop's frequently on sale between $8-9 for a pack of 4 AA or AAA.] Just drop in once in awhile or check out their online flyers. Most of the time they are white topped/made in Japan cells, meaning Eneloops.

(2) Dell.ca frequently has $9.99 specials for AA/AAA 4 pack Eneloops. Free shipping.

(3) Canada Computers. If you have these chains in your city, check them out. They even carry the new Eneloop XX [2,500 mah LSD]. Rather expensive still [$25 for a 4 pack], but they do carry them so keep your eye on them for price drops. They recently sold an 8 pack of Eneloop tones: 1,500 cycle batteries if that interests you for $25.00. Not an awesome price, but an option.

(4) Costco. Another option, but one I haven't bothered with considering the aforementioned above.

(5) Loblaws: Great Canadian Superstore. These folks sell PC [President's Choice: rebranded Eneloops] at checkout counters. If you're in a bind, this is an option although rather expensive @ $12-15 / 4 pack.

On a side note, my eneloops have never tested over 2,000 mah on the mh-c9000, either in Break-in or R&A. I'm not overly concerned but would have been nice to join the >2,000 club. Haha.

cheers,
Marc

Last edited:

Flatshovel

Newly Enlightened
Have been reading this post and I have a question. I need to purchase some of the eneloop lsd cells to replace a bunch of old nimh batterys that I have laying around that are old and have lost most of it capacity from years of use. After reading this post and others I have read that 1000mah is the correct charging rate to charge a 2000mah eneloop battery correct? I however do not own a Maha C9000 charger and have a LaCrosse BC900 and BC700 and assume that the BC900 would charge the eneloops ok? I know with some of my older non lsd batterys they would get rather hot to the touch when charged at 1000mah and would sometimes overheat on the charger. I have really considered dumping my chargers and purchasing a new C9000. Anyone one else on the forum use the BC900 to charge eneloops and if so does it work ok for them?

Thanks,
Joey

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a BC900, but I understand it should work fine to charge Eneloops. I'd suggest using the 700 mA charge rate. The batteries should become warm, but not hot, at the end of charging. Also you should see no more than 2200 mAh of charge input to each cell.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Flatshovel. I've had both the BC900 and C9000 for a few years. One of the shortcomings of the La Crosse chargers is that they are quite small and the cells are very close together. This results in the cells becoming hotter while charging, not only because they are close together, but due to heat from the charger itself.

In the Winter months when the inside temperature is cooler, I usually charge AA cells at either 700, or 1000mA. In the Summer when it can get quite hot indoors, I usually back that off to 700mA max, and if it's really warm, eg. 80F indoors, I drop the rate to 500mA.

With my BC900, one time, I had the charger miss termination of an AA cell at 500mA (the cell vented). Again, this only happened once, and it was while charging a well seasoned non LSD cell (Dynacharge 1800), but it's something to watch out for if you choose the 500mA rate when charging AA cells.

Dave

Last edited:

Russel

Enlightened
If I need to charge Eneloop AA cells with my BC900, I charge at 1000mA but only two cells at a time, in the first and fourth cell bays.

AIRASSAULT18B

Newly Enlightened
Russel,
I was wondering how many cycles you run & what charge & discharge rates you use for your Eneloops on the Maha charger to get the great service life you have been getting?

AIRASSAULT18B

Russel

Enlightened
I run all new Eneloop cells through a break-in cycle, then charge as needed. Eneloops that don't get drained much in normal use such as TV remotes, I cycle (discharge/charge) once every three months or so, and break-in cycle once a year for every cell.

My prefered charge rate is 1000mA for AA cells and 400mA for AAA cells, discharge 400mA for AA and 200mA for AAA. Eneloop cells that aren't being used, I discharge, then charge about 10% and store in a sealed zip lock in the refrigerator. About once every six months I remove stored cells from the frig, let them warm over night (while still in a sealed zip lock) and cycle them - charge, discharge, charge to about 10%, then back in a sealed zip lock and into the frig.

I also try to rotate the cells in use, that is occasionally swap cells in high and low drain devices. For example, my GPS during normal use drains two AA cells in about a week, after a couple cycles, I'll trade the cells with a couple in one of my TV remotes to help exercise the cells and help keep them vibrant.

Wrend

Enlightened
I've been using Eneloops for a few years now, and I have many of both the old and new versions. I store them in a cool dry room fully charged so that they're ready to use whenever I need to use them.

When I first get them I discharge them and then slowly form charge them at 1/10 C. Though this probably isn't that necessary, it does seem to "wake them up" a little. They're usually pre-charged to about 75% capacity when I get them.

I only discharge and charge them up again if they've been sitting idle for several months (at least 6), and even then there isn't much improvement in their performance other than the small amount of capacity that they've self discharged while sitting. I prefer to not put seemingly needless and useless cycles on them as this probably does as much to wear them out as just being stored in a charged state, if not more. Keeping them cool may be more beneficial. But since the main point of having the batteries is to use them, I like being able to just go into my nice air-conditioned workroom, grab the cells I need, and use them. That, and there wouldn't be much room in my refrigerated for food if I were to store all my cells and battery packs in it.

The cells I have in storage aren't usually stored all that long anyway since I rotate them out to use when I need them. The cells that were sitting idle and charged for 6 months were in a somewhat older transmitter that I hardly use anymore. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1078898)

Maha doesn't recommend charging at a slower rate (when doing a normal charge) than 1/3 C on the MH-C9000, and Sanyo doesn't recommend charging Eneloops at a faster rate than 1/2 C, so for general charging, those are the guidelines I would go by. Fortunately they overlap.

Just picked up the C9000, 16 more AAAs, and 32 more AAs. Still not enough. The more Eneloops I get, the more electronics I seem to have that need them. Funny how that works.

Bottom line is that I find Eneloops to be very capable cells that don't need to be coerced into functioning properly like some of the other NiMHs seem to require.

Last edited:

mouse07410

Newly Enlightened
@Wrend, if the batteries are sitting in a flashlight (TK-40) that has a tendency to slowly drain them even when turned off - would you discharge them every say 3 months? Or just do a normal charge when the flashlight stops working (as I mentioned in a different post in a different thread - this flashlight is used mostly for emergencies)?

Thanks!

mouse07410

Newly Enlightened
@Wrend, if the batteries are sitting in a flashlight (TK-40) that has a tendency to slowly drain them even when turned off - would you discharge them every say 3 months? Or just do a normal charge when the flashlight stops working (as I mentioned in a different post in a different thread - this flashlight is used mostly for emergencies)?

Thanks!