Milkyspit Gossamer Review

1dash1

Enlightened
A friend of mine asked me to explain the Gossamer user interface, thought I'd share the information with others...

The following schematic shows how the Gossamer/Acorn user interface works:

20 taps switches from one UI to the next. Since each UI has one bright mode, I just count the number of bright flashes instead of trying to keep track of the number of taps. 5 bright flashes means that I've made at least 20 taps. 40 taps (10 bright flashes by my count) switches from one power setting to the other.

And pretty much all user inputs start from the "off" position. Once you've "clicked", you really can't shift to the next option without clicking again - which is the "off" position. (If you're quick with your fingers, you could re-click the flashlight in less than one second and the Gossamer will process the sequence as a "tap" - but such manipulations aren't worth the bother, in my opinion.)

Note: See corrected diagram below, message no. 28.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
That is a cool chart!

ScannerMan, do you know what the input voltage range is? I was just wondering if 3 X RCR's would work in a longer body or if they could only be primaries. I guess 2 x 17500's would work too.

I do agree that part of the attraction is it's small size though even if the runtime is very short on high. Nice to have the option though.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine asked me to explain the Gossamer user interface, thought I'd share the information with others...

The following schematic shows how the Gossamer/Acorn user interface works:

20 taps switches from one UI to the next. Since each UI has one bright mode, I just count the number of bright flashes instead of trying to keep track of the number of taps. 5 bright flashes means that I've made at least 20 taps. 40 taps (10 bright flashes by my count) switches from one power setting to the other.

And pretty much all user inputs start from the "off" position. Once you've "clicked", you really can't shift to the next option without clicking again - which is the "off" position. (If you're quick with your fingers, you could re-click the flashlight in less than one second and the Gossamer will process the sequence as a "tap" - but such manipulations aren't worth the bother, in my opinion.)

1dash1, this is a great chart. You know, I've meant to make something like this for a long time but never quite got around to doing so... thank you for taking the initiative!
:bow:

That said, it's not quite perfect. In the MemoryUI, you make no mention of the double-tap gesture that always puts the light at max output... it's a safety feature included so there is a reliable, predictable way to get max output no matter which level the light was in before. (This isn't an issue in the other user interfaces since they turn on at the same level every time, making the action needed to get to max easily predictable.)

It's also worth noting for newer users of the Acorn that a "tap" involves using the momentary capability on the tactical tailswitch to "blink" the light briefly... if you click the light on, then click it off, you'll most likely be too slow for the light to interpret your action as a tap. IMHO the "blink" terminology might be a little more descriptive, haven't really formed a firm opinion on that, to be honest.

As for the 20-tap and 40-tap gestures, it's well worth noting that one does not have to count those exactly... I designed the firmware to be very forgiving on the count, and so long as one does AT LEAST the specified number of taps, the intended action will take place. For example, 21 taps will advance to the next UI, as will 22, 25, or 29. Likewise, 40 taps will turn Miser on/off, as will 41 42, 44, 47, and 49 taps, among others. If one watches the light while tapping, he/she might not need to count at all! It's pretty clear by a change in sequence that the UI has changed, and clear by a sudden increase or decrease in all the levels that Miser has turned itself on or off.

It's also worth noting that the chart covers the "Califon" version of firmware. Other firmware revisions, though often fairly similar, will have more or fewer features. For example, the "Bailey" firmware does not have strobe or locator, nor does it incorporate the TheaterUI.

And pretty much all user inputs start from the "off" position. Once you've "clicked", you really can't shift to the next option without clicking again - which is the "off" position.

To be fair, this limitation has everything to do with the nature of the tailswitch itself. SureFire switches are TACTICAL in nature, meaning they allow for a momentary on but NOT a momentary off. That means there's no way for the Acorn to know you want to change to a different level unless you first turn off the flashlight. (Fenix and similar lights use a REVERSE tactical switch, which supports momentary OFF but not on... that's why they can change brightness without turning the light off... but they cannot be used for a momentary on, one must always click to turn the light on.)

(If you're quick with your fingers, you could re-click the flashlight in less than one second and the Gossamer will process the sequence as a "tap" - but such manipulations aren't worth the bother, in my opinion.)

Actually, it's 1/2 second, and in some custom versions of the firmware 1/4 second. Most mere mortals won't be able to click on then off quickly enough to finish within that timeframe. I know I can't! :eek:oo: Besides which, one could always hold the momentary and click through to keep that particular level... that's actually very convenient!

Maybe you can work these into what otherwise is a fine chart. Thanks for doing this in the first place! :eek:

(Would you mind if I post the revised chart in my Eye Candy thread, and could you send me a copy of the chart in source form so I could perhaps revise it for other versions of the firmware? I will give you credit as originator of the chart.)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott,

I love the mods you did for me and I love my KX2C head with the Acorn driver. The UI is perfect. I wish all of my lights had 4 modes at the same drive ratings as the acorn driver/software . I don't use the 4 lower modes but it is nice to know they are there also.

Now having said the above I have found that a double tap does not consistantly place me in the high mode. Is a matter of fact only around 10 percent of the time do I find it actually works. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I missing something simple.

Thanks

Bill

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott,

I love the mods you did for me and I love my KX2C head with the Acorn driver. The UI is perfect. I wish all of my lights had 4 modes at the same drive ratings as the acorn driver/software . I don't use the 4 lower modes but it is nice to know they are there also.

Now having said the above I have found that a double tap does not consistantly place me in the high mode. Is a matter of fact only around 10 percent of the time do I find it actually works. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I missing something simple.

Thanks

Bill

Bill, it sounds like you are tapping too slowly, or perhaps clicking the light on during the taps rather than using the momentary to blink the light, or (most likely scenario) confusing the click that turns your light on with one of the taps. With your flashlight off, you want to blink the light twice... BLINK! BLINK!... then click the light on. Turning the light on is NOT one of the taps. Put another way...

Light is off
BLINK! (light is off again, blink was only momentary)
BLINK! (light is off again, blink was only momentary)
Turn light on... it should switch to max shortly after turning on

Anyway, I'm glad you like the user interface as well as the levels. Hope this helps.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, 1dash1.

very impressive beamshot. :thumbsup:

1dash1

Enlightened

GossamerUIjpg.jpg

Milkyspit: Diagram revised and files sent to you by e-mail. :)

Octaf: Thanks!

1dash1

Enlightened
Scott,

Thanks

Bill

Hitthespot:

I have the same trouble.

Tap-click is simple enough for changing modes. However, my fingers seem to spazz out on the double-tap click. :tinfoil:

I find that slowing down helps to avoid overshooting the double-tap step. It's a tap - tap - click, not a tappity-tappity-click. :ironic:

Milkyspit:

Would it be possible to program the Memory Mode so that triple-tap-click and quadruple-tap-click also shortcut to High? That would take care of those of us who seem lacking in the hand-eye coordination area. :shrug:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hitthespot:

I have the same trouble.

Tap-click is simple enough for changing modes. However, my fingers seem to spazz out on the double-tap click. :tinfoil:

I find that slowing down helps to avoid overshooting the double-tap step. It's a tap - tap - click, not a tappity-tappity-click. :ironic:

Milkyspit:

Would it be possible to program the Memory Mode so that triple-tap-click and quadruple-tap-click also shortcut to High? That would take care of those of us who seem lacking in the hand-eye coordination area. :shrug:

Scott, 1dash1,

Thank you both for your replys. Scotts (Milkyspit's) simple explanation solved my problem. I was just missing somthing. I was tap once then when I tapped the second time I was holding and expecting the light to go in to high, instead of Tap-Tap-Click.

THANK YOU SCOTT,

I look forward to my next mod. I'm thinking an MC-E in my Nitecore Infininty. lol

Bill

Lexus

Enlightened
PSM and 1dash1, your review and beamshots made me order a Gossamer from Scott too.
My wallet hates you. :nana:

hojobones

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget the gosling - the junior version running off one IMR 16340. It hasn't left my pocket since I got it.

Hammer Train

Banned
Mine will be on it's way too - can't wait! I wonder if it will run off 3 LifePO4 cells or will it be too much?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine will be on it's way too - can't wait! I wonder if it will run off 3 LifePO4 cells or will it be too much?

3xLiFePO4 would be too much. The GOSSAMER is designed to run on 2x Li-Ion cells OR 3x123 Primary cells. The GOSLING is designed to run on 1x Li-Ion cell ONLY.

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
Got any out door beamshots? Maybe just some back yard shots. Im pretty interested in this light, maybe even a first milky for me.
-Barry-

1dash1

Enlightened
Barry:

Weather's been pretty lousy lately, don't know if I'll be able to do any shots tonight and I'm out of town this weekend. Maybe someone else can help you out.

If not, I'll do some shots next week. ;)

spyderknut

Enlightened
:wave:

Weather has been terrible this week! :eek:

Cool! You in Gville? We should have lunch sometime. :)
I'll have my people get in touch with your people. No, that's CA, not FL. Only if you bring lights for show and tell. You are wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of me in your light collection. I have a nice assortment of midlevel lights like HDS, Novatac, some Surefire, Fenix, Zebralight, etc. I don't have much in the way of high end custom though I did just get a Lummi Wee Ag!