• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hi, Scott.

Thank you very much for the list above. They all sound good.

I am curious about U2x2. I think I would like the mod with XP-G. What kind of performance is it going to be with it? I think it will be close to the one with Rebel, just better.

Be sure to ask Scott about his Snake-Eyes build. It looks gorgeous in a U2. I have an earlier one built into a KL3 head. Beam is amazing!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Scott, I sent you an e-mail regarding that project light we discussed. I know you're very busy. But I just realized it might have ended up in your spam folder since the e-mail is from my hotmail account. Please check your spam folder if necessary. Thank you. :)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi milky,

Great looking stuff.:thumbsup: I was wandering if you could tell me where to get some of the tiny OP reflectors like I see pictured in some of your mods? I am guessing I need about 15mm ish size?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi milky,

Great looking stuff.:thumbsup: I was wandering if you could tell me where to get some of the tiny OP reflectors like I see pictured in some of your mods? I am guessing I need about 15mm ish size?

Thanks for the kind words! :eek:

The smaller reflectors I use are typically McR16, McR10-R, or McR12-R. They should be available at the Sandwich Shoppe and possibly a few other sources. (Lighthound? TnC?)

Sometimes I'll start with these and modify the reflectors to fit a custom-sized application.

p73rs

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Scott

Be sure to ask Scott about his Snake-Eyes build. It looks gorgeous in a U2. I have an earlier one built into a KL3 head. Beam is amazing!

Yes. I checked it out. It looks very good. So, we have got U2x2 and U2se. I am still considering more about U2x2 with XP-G, out of those two options.

Have you done the mod with MC-E for U2?

Thanks.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you done the mod with MC-E for U2?

Yes, in two flavors. One uses the stock U2 reflector with an MC-E... the other replaces the stock reflector with an optic or reflector designed specifically for the MC-E. I prefer this latter approach for a few reasons. First, it takes nearly as much effort to open a stock U2 to swap the emitter as it does to prep the light for a more advanced build... plus opening the head for emitter swap increases the risk of damage to the head while making the attempt. IMHO the benefit just isn't worth the expense (or the risk) relative to the other things I can do for the host. Also, removing the stock reflector allows me to improve the heatsinking for the MC-E, so the light ends up brighter, with greater ability to tune the beam to the desired goal, and on top of all that, more thermally stable. (BTW, I refer to the latter build as the U2me, which is basically an abbreviation for "MC-E," "MC-E Emitter," or perhaps "Mono-Emitter.")

p73rs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

(BTW, I refer to the latter build as the U2me, which is basically an abbreviation for "MC-E," "MC-E Emitter," or perhaps "Mono-Emitter.")

I am interested in U2me. What kind of performance are we talking about? Is the lowest level at around the stock U2 with the highest of around 400 lumens? I am guessing something similar to U2x2 with Rebel regarding the output and the runtime.

I hope the regular CR123 can be used with U2me.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in U2me. What kind of performance are we talking about? Is the lowest level at around the stock U2 with the highest of around 400 lumens? I am guessing something similar to U2x2 with Rebel regarding the output and the runtime.

I hope the regular CR123 can be used with U2me.

The U2me will run with the same batteries as a stock U2 would, so yes, 2x123 primaries would be fine. Max output should be somewhere around 587 lumens. In fairness I probably underestimated the Rebel-100 based U2by2 output... using the same manner of estimation, I'd place that output around 544 lumens. Runtime on any given level should be very close to that of the stock U2, though in practice one tends to use the lower levels more frequently since they've become much brighter, and for that reason the effective runtime of the light as a whole tends to be substantially longer than stock. The lowest level is still reasonably low... if the low beam on a stock U2 is 2 lumens (I don't know if that's the exact number) then the U2me low beam would likely be somewhere around 6 lumens.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]Csshih Writeup[/size]

Fellow CPFer Csshih recently posted a writeup about a light I built some time ago for Gary123, featuring a Cree MC-E emitter with Acorn driver and custom firmware (among other things, implements "ValetUI" in the mix to allow loaning the light to others with the most extreme levels disabled for safety) :) plus an unusually deep optic that took some doing to fit into the head.

The writeup is over here.

Here's a little eye candy...

IMG_0922_processed.JPG

IMG_0925_processed.JPG

IMG_1057_processed.JPG

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Thats an awesome upgrade Milky! :twothumbs

Would that work also with a one cell setup?

I would bereally interested ina Aleph III with 17500 body, all in HAIII oliv...:rolleyes:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats an awesome upgrade Milky! :twothumbs

Would that work also with a one cell setup?

I would bereally interested ina Aleph III with 17500 body, all in HAIII oliv...:rolleyes:

Hi Toby, yes, the same concept can work on a single cell. Output would be a little lower but otherwise it would work fine.

Should I PM you regarding this?

Yes, please do.

Hi, Scott

I just sent you PM.

Thanks.

Thanks, will take a look later this afternoon.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
[SIZE=+1]Creemator Noir[/SIZE]

Fellow CPFer run4jc58 has posted a nice photo review of his Creemator Noir build, which he mounted on a McGizmo body. His thread is over here.

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

This is an update - don't mean to hijack the thread, rather, this is written as a further tribute to Milky - for anyone considering one of the Creemator builds, I highly encourage you to go for it. The more I use this light, the more impressed I am with it. Since the review, I changed the host to a 2X123 McCllicky and run the light off 1 AW17670.

EVERY morning I take this light on my early walks with my dogs. In totally uncharacteristic fashion, I rarely ever take any kind of back up light. I leave my monster Jetbeam M1X at home - the Creemator is just so functional. When I want throw, I adjust the focus for max throw. When I want flood, a twist of the bezel and I have flood. Want strobe? Got it. Want lower levels? Got 'em - but it is too much fun to see the monster throw that comes out of this light when on max.

So this was meant solely as an update to my other review Scott mentioned. I am VERY pleased! (and it looks cool, too...ain't it purty???)

(Sorry for the dust in the photos)
IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

zx7dave

Enlightened
Scott...you are still the go to guy after years of modding...be proud..you offer unique service and and put out excellent custom work...I trust your judgement and ability and love the lights I have gotten from you in the past years...keep up the great service to us flashaholics...