Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester) Part II

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal: for 1 in white please!

Thanks Hoople!

One note: they're all in white... AND amber... every unit has both LEDs, I just wanted to show a variety in the group photo. Guess that didn't work out so well! :ohgeez:

Anyway, many thanks.

Five MC2-Nichia GS units left.

openbolt1

Enlightened
Hello Scott!

I have been waiting for one of these...I would like one please.
PayPal to follow. Wooo - Whoooo! PM sent..

Gary :paypal:

"Cost would be $59 per unit, plus shipping... rough estimate on the shipping assuming an uninsured package, would be a flat rate for the whole package of $5 to USA (Priority Mail)"

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, i would like one, but all out of funds...:broke: i guess ill wait for the next ones, im not exactly crazy about the GS anyway.

Crenshaw

StrayLight

Enlightened
If there's one left, I'll take it.

PM sent.

EDIT: Hope I'm not jumping the gun, but Paypal sent for one MC2.

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, just got your PM, Scott.
I sent PP for 2 units and shipping...let me know if I am too late!

Now...how would these operate with 1 cell? Spacer required?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys (and gals?), no worries, I think I've got everyone covered... and also think we may have exhausted the supply of Milky Candles with Nichia GS! :eek:oo:

Zero MC2 with Nichia GS remaining as of this post.

That said, I've got a few other styles of 5mm LED and enough parts on hand to build several more Milky Candles... so if anyone missed these, there's still hope. I intend to post a new sales thread about the possibilities... for now, here are some ideas that stand out, if interested feel free to send me PM and/or email about them...

1. I still have some Jeled 50Kmcd white LEDs on hand, and though they're not quite at Nichia GS levels of output, they still perform surprisingly well. Fellow CPFer Nein166 and I ceiling-bounce tested several LEDs in the MC2 units and the Nichia GS won, followed fairly closely by the Jeled 50K, followed somewhat more distantly by the rest of the field. The Jeled is still a great performer! I can build using these immediately.

2. Have some 10mm white LEDs that do nicely. What these lack in output (and they don't lack all that much, they're perfectly acceptable in the MC2) they make up in surprisingly long throw... the optical system in the larger 10mm emitters, at least in this case, is a HUGE improvement over their 5mm cousins! Who would ever have imagined describing a Milky Candle as a thrower!?! :eek:oo:

3. I've built some prototype Candles in the past using Cree LEDs... I would typically use something that's a little outdated for the higher-powered lights, but still quite competitive in lower-powered applications like the MC2. At present I have cooler-tinted P3 (WC tint) and warmer-tinted P4 (WH tint). These produce a wider-angle, floody beam. The build would be slightly more expensive using these, but not by much.

4. I have some 'snow' white LEDs of unknown origin that came from ebay a while back... the beam is exceptionally smooth and tint is what I would call a frosty white. They're not as efficient as the Nichia GS or the Jeled 50K, but I could probably overcome that limitation by mounting a small array of these, perhaps 2-4 in parallel... that would allow them to operate at a more favorable point on their efficiency curve and narrow the gap with the top performers to the point they'd essentially be equal to them. Price would be a bit more by going this option... maybe $10 more? due to the additional labor involved... but the beam would be smoother and more uniform than any of the other choices while still providing the good ceiling-bounce illumination the Milky Candle is designed for.

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well! Let me know if any of these interest you. It's kinda like a Milky Candle Emporium! :eek:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent PP for 2 units and shipping...let me know if I am too late!

No worries, you're not too late. Actually, you're going to get a special treat (hope you see it that way too!)... I was one unit short so your second MC2 will actually be the one I made for myself! :ohgeez: It's a Nichia GS based light with the custom-recalibrated firmware just like the others, but as the backup LED this one uses a wide angle Kingbright ORANGE rather than the standard amber LED. The Kingbright Orange 5mm is one of my favorites... the color is IMHO gorgeous and the LED itself gives off an almost shimmering quality when running... very pleasant to look at. Hope that works for you.

Now...how would these operate with 1 cell? Spacer required?

No spacer required! The tailspring is on a threaded mount, so you unscrew the spring assembly (not enough for it to fall off, stop just short of that) to run with a single cell, and screw it back down when running with two cells. I personally dislike spacers and adapters because they would just represent one more accessory to get lost... wanted to come up with a solution where the light itself was already outfitted with everything it needed, and that's exactly what we've got with the current design.

On a related note: the nylon cup in which the tailspring sits can be popped off, it's not glued in place... this doesn't ordinarily present a problem because it's not a load-bearing element, the spring tension falls on the machine nut inside the cup, not on the cup itself... it yours ever does get crooked or fall off, just pop it back onto the machine nut and all should be well.

One other very minor note: I'm shipping all these units PRELOADED with 2x123 nearly-spent cells (they register 10% or 20% on my ZTS battery tester)... I do this to keep the spring assembly from flopping around during shipping, also to demonstrate how the unit runs well even on badly depleted cells. Or maybe the whole project is actually my secret plan to dispose of my own spent 123 primaries! (Hee hee.) :laughing: ;)

gottawearshades

Enlightened
The 10 mm emitter in nein166's post looks interesting, it makes the thing look . . . like a candle. And the tint doesn't look too cool, either.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The special treat sound FANTASTIC Scott...I can't wait to see it!

And I don't know how I missed that trick with 1X123 spring. THat's a fantastic innovation and ingenious solution.

Looking forward to it!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my MC2. I wish I had seen these "special" units sooner. What about a MC2 with a 083 emitter in it? could that be done?
Yaesumofo

Yaesu, thanks for your kind words! I'd be happy to build one of these for you as soon as I get my hands on a fresh supply of suitable emitters.

As for the 083, please forgive my ignorance, but what's an 083 emitter? :thinking:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yaesu, thanks for your kind words! I'd be happy to build one of these for you as soon as I get my hands on a fresh supply of suitable emitters.

As for the 083, please forgive my ignorance, but what's an 083 emitter? :thinking:
he means the Nichia ones, like McGizmo is using in the Sundrop

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199058

aparently, they have close to "perfect" tint......

Crenshaw

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the explanation, Crenshaw. :bow:

I love my MC2. I wish I had seen these "special" units sooner. What about a MC2 with a 083 emitter in it? could that be done?
Yaesumofo

Yaesu, technically the MC2 with 083 emitter could be done, and I could even bump up the output current a bit since that particular LED can handle substantially more current flow even with its stock heatsinking. However, the light would be very floody, certainly more so than the relatively narrow-angle 5mm LEDs used in the typical MC2. If your needs match that sort of light, it might be just the ticket! :thumbsup:

Latest posts