MillerMod 2.1 watt single cell driver using a 1.5V Energizer L91 lithium cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hello, it's me again, now with a 1.7 watt Fenix driver.

Somy Nex said:
Maybe you could also see if Doug (www.flashlightreviews.com) and/or Craig (ledmuseum.com) could do a review for you if you sent in units to them. I think i mentioned in another post i'm all spent out until the new year, but at $25, I would probably pop in for one come that time :)

I will contact both of them and see what they think, thanks!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geeeeezzzzzz....
I was supposed to be done with the bicycle helmet light thing with the stock L1P! Alas, after looking at the pictures and pondering my requirements--I NEED two of those!
Heck, one for the helmet light and the other for another EDC. Then I'll have to do the two-stage mod for high/low so I can get decent runtime when needed.
Of course, three of those boards driving three SWAH Luxeon K2's in a modified 2D Mag running 12,000mAH NiMH D cells .... 2006 is going to be another interesting year! Not sure if I should thank you for this, Miller...

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

so this would be a drop in mod. Interesting. I wonder if it could fit other 1AA size lights?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

carbine15 said:
so this would be a drop in mod. Interesting. I wonder if it could fit other 1AA size lights?

Yes it is a drop in mod for the Fenix. I can open the fenix with out causing any damage and dispite the fact that they use Locktite to keep them closed. The inductor of my circuit is rather large but could be a little smaller, however efficiency would take a little hit. So it would be difficult to say right now without fully exploring all possibilties whether or not it would work in other 1AA lights. Depends on the form factor at hand, do you have any paticular models in mind?

Last edited:

peekay331

Newly Enlightened

MillerMods said:
Yes it is a drop in mod for the Fenix. I can open the fenix with out causing any damage and dispite the fact that they use Locktite to keep them closed. The inductor of my circuit is rather large but could be a little smaller, however efficiency would take a little hit. So it would be difficult to say right now without fully exploring all possibilties whether or not it would work in other 1AA lights. Depends on the form factor at hand, do you have any paticular models in mind?
miller, would you be offering a service to open fenix's for us too? or are we on our own?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

peekay331 said:
miller, would you be offering a service to open fenix's for us too? or are we on our own?

Yes, I will open them. I will be selling them already modified or I will install the circuit for $35.00 in your Fenix. I won't have an official release of Rev.A for at least a few weeks, but I will hand cut a few for reviews and who ever doesn't mind the slightly unrefined look of a hand cut board. I will post some pictures of what I mean as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work MM! I can do some nice reviews of your mods, with LUX readings and beamshots if you'd like. Just send me a PM if you want to get started.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've done some additional testing and here are a couple of runtimes I've recorded:

Energizer Lithium L91 = 70 minutes continuous before the current draw from the battery starts to drop off. This closely corrisponds to the level of brightness (drive delivered) of the Lux.

Powerizer 2250 NIMH = 50 minutes continuous before the current draw from the battery starts to drop off. Again, this closely corrisponds to the level of brightness (drive delivered) of the Lux.

The voltage of the Lithium is about .3 volts higher and this does slightly increase the brightness, not a huge wow factor of a difference, but maybe slightly distinguisable.

Someone will be doing a review very soon.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I shipped a MM1.7W Modified Fenix to Lunarmodule (Steve) today. He is going to give it a review and post his findings. I found using a Energizer 1.5 Volt Lithium cell, the circuit drove the lux at 600 mA +/- 10 mA. That puts the drive over the 2 watt mark! :)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

MillerMods,
So you will be selling premodded L1Ps with a two-stage switch? I am calculating about $75 for the beast; am I close? Looking forward to the review and the hysteria it creates as I keep the paypal button handy.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

BentHeadTX said:
MillerMods,
So you will be selling premodded L1Ps with a two-stage switch? I am calculating about $75 for the beast; am I close? Looking forward to the review and the hysteria it creates as I keep the paypal button handy.

You are actually dead on. I had planned on selling the L1 premoddified for $65.00 and the L1P premoddified for $78.00. Two stage switch is $3.00 extra for parts and labor. This will include an upgraded Lux III. Although the bin number will be whatever I get from Future Electronics. Of course, for less money like $55.00 and $68.00 I would just leave the stock Lux in and let the person buying the modded Fenix use a Lux of their choice or just use the stock which can be overdriven at this power for x1000's of hours with out too much negative consiquence I imagine. Options are open. I will be selling the circuit by itself for $23.00. shipping for any item or combination up to 1 pound will be $5.00 for USPS priority w/ DC# within the U.S., international orders will be actual cost of shipping + 1 dollar for handling.

Last edited:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

I'm excited! Review unit on the way, have a 4Sevens L1p v2.5 and L2p as baselines, as well as a bunch of other lights for comparos. Charging the digicam batteries and setting up some beamshot stages. New batteries in the Meterman LM-631 so lux readings and runtimes will get measured. Nuwai Q3, Orb Raw, JiL 1.3w up, Chop CR2 with TWOJ, McLux III PD, Lion Cub, Surefire L1, Aurora 1.5w Nichia Jupiter and some other lights on hand for comparo so this should be fun! I tend to write a lot so plenty of description, I'll try to emulate Mark (cones stuff uk) style and keep it informative yet concise. I appreciate the chance at doing the review, I'll give it my best!

;)

Mike abcd

Enlightened

MillerMods said:
You are actually dead on. I had planned on selling the L1 premoddified for $65.00 and the L1P premoddified for $78.00. Two stage switch is $3.00 extra for parts and labor. This will include an upgraded Lux III. Although the bin number will be whatever I get from Future Electronics. Of course, for less money like $55.00 and $68.00 I would just leave the stock Lux in and let the person buying the modded Fenix use a Lux of their choice or just use the stock which can be overdriven at this power for x1000's of hours with out too much negative consiquence I imagine. Options are open. I will be selling the circuit by itself for $23.00. shipping for any item or combination up to 1 pound will be $5.00 for USPS priority w/ DC# within the U.S., international orders will be actual cost of shipping + 1 dollar for handling.

Would you be willing to install a customer supplied Lux III and discount based on your emitter cost savings so we can have control over the bin? Any chance of getting one driven at 1.5 watts? 2 watts seems pushing it based on my preference for 2500 mAH NIMH cells.

Mike

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds good!
Can we specify say... 5 ohms for the two-stage switch? I would want it to be close to the brightness of the stock configuration and at high... LuxIII goodness at high levels. Prefer to have it pre-made as I can always use another Fenix L1P. Now for the review!

bucken

Enlightened

MillerMods,
Is there a particular emitter Vf that works best (J, K, L, etc.), or does it even matter?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike abcd said:
Would you be willing to install a customer supplied Lux III and discount based on your emitter cost savings so we can have control over the bin? Any chance of getting one driven at 1.5 watts? 2 watts seems pushing it based on my preference for 2500 mAH NIMH cells.

Mike

Yes and Yes. I charge 10 bucks for the Lux, so just subtract that. I can adjust my circuit for any current drive upto the max rated.

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

BentHeadTX said:
Sounds good!
Can we specify say... 5 ohms for the two-stage switch? I would want it to be close to the brightness of the stock configuration and at high... LuxIII goodness at high levels. Prefer to have it pre-made as I can always use another Fenix L1P. Now for the review!

Yes, I will custom build to specifications.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

bucken said:
MillerMods,
Is there a particular emitter Vf that works best (J, K, L, etc.), or does it even matter?

I know this might seem strange, but I'm not sure yet. Between everything I've been trying to juggle lately, I haven't done as much testing as I would like. I've used 2 different Lux of unknown bins both close to Vf=3.6. I will definately find out what works best if one is in fact better than the another based on Vf and let everyone know.

Status
Not open for further replies.