MillerMod 2.1 watt single cell driver using a 1.5V Energizer L91 lithium cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Re: Hello, it's me again, now with a 1.7 watt Fenix driver.

Chompin at the bit waiting for the package with the review sample to arrive, no joy at the Post Office yesterday and they are closed tomorrow, so likely near 100% Tuesday I'll be able to get started on the review. Good to hear the Lux III developments are moving along as well, I was wondering what bins you had available. I really like TWOH and TXOH.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Lux in the Modified Fenix that I sent to Lunarmodule is an S-bin Lux III. I purchased it online from futureestore.com and all of the small quanity Lux III's they sell are S-binned. They will only sell T and U bin Lux's at large quanities. So once Lunarmodule does the review, you'll see that it is considerably brighter than the stock Fenix, but it would even be better if a T or U bin Lux were used.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any updates?

Has Lunarmodule (Steve) received his MillerMods L1P LuxIII in the mail? Any early thoughts and observations? Shame to hear about the S bin LuxeonIII's... I'll go with the rocking R bin since my BB500 R2H minimag mods have no problems at 500mA. Maybe a nice SWAH Luxeon K2 will fly my way by late summer so...

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

He said he will be doing a preliminary review soon. I say preliminary because he wants to have me custom build one with a U-bin and one with the stock 1 watt R-bin overdriven. He noticed that the hot spot is about twice the size (which indicates more lumens) with the one I sent him, but the spot itself was only slightly brighter than the L1P stock. I noticed this too, but didn't think much of it except that I wasn't sure why the dispersion was different. So it was evident to him that there was a spot size difference, but he was hoping for a bigger difference in beam intensity. He mentioned that the focal point of the Lux III is different from the Lux I and that's why the dispersion was different, I didn't know that. This is why he wants to see an overdriven R-bin, so that the hotspot remains closer to the same size but has more intensity. He said he didn't feel like it was ready for a prime review yet so stand by. I'm also sending 4Sevens a couple of circuits themselves to review as soon as I get some parts I ordered.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

MM,
Thank you for the quick update and information concerning R bin Lux1 and LuxIII optics differences. Since I will use mine as a helmet light, the R bin is the way to go but the LuxIII offers it's own goodness. An EDC with the LuxIII would give a larger hotspot so might be much better for that use. Eagerly await the review and appreciate the fact that you want all questions answered by the review.
A U bin LuxIII MM L1P with two-stage switch sounds almost perfect as an EDC. Larger hotspot, brighter hotspot and corona with two-stage to extend runtime. 2006 is starting to look good.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

Hello,

I've spent a great deal of time comparing the modded Fenix I received from MM to many other lights, most critically with stock L1p v2.5 and L2p. The light I have has an S-bin Lux III and Eric's high output driver. The synopsis he delivered of my preliminary findings is spot-on (bad pun). The spot size is almost double compared to the stock L1p but the intensity is similar. The projected spot is a result of the LuxIII's slightly different positioning inside the reflector. I was expecting a larger brightness difference but MM relayed to me that the only LuxIII he had at the moment was the S-bin. A TWOH would have made a striking impact with its better efficiency and lower Vf. Since this was just a preliminary step its shows very good promise and the driver proved capable (and had a HUGE suprise in store for me, more on that later...). There was a little fluctuation in the light level on the MM at first, but a little snugging of the LE to tighten up the ground resolved that issue.

There is also a 2-stage switch mod on my review unit, an unexpected bonus, offering a very usable low level to offset the high level's shorter than stock runtime. I did most of my comparisons with Rayovac IC-3 2000mAh NiMHs, 2500mAh Sanyos, and Energizer e2 L91 Lithium AAs. Measured current at the tailcap: stock L1p was 980mA-1.030A with NiMH, MM version 1.180A-1.300A with NiMH. Clearly the MM driver was pushing the LuxIII harder because it generated noticeably more warmth in the head than a stock unit, especially after 15 minutes or more is was quite evident but not bad by any means.

Runtime (on NiMH) was shorter, as was expected, at about 45 minutes full brightness tapering off slowly until about 90 minutes, where it began "moon mode" . The stock R-bin Fenix trounced it completely, giving an incredible 110 minutes full brightness and tapering very slowly till the 3 hour 20 minute mark, finally hitting moon mode with an exhaused NiMH cell. Runtimes are longer with Lithium AAs but I had a shortage of the cells to do a proper full-on runtime test with them.

I used a Meterman LM-691 light meter for lux readings at 1 meter and got the following results: stock L1p on NiMH: avg 480 lux (530 on Lithium AA) compared to 580 lux NiMH (590 Li AA) for the MM Fenix on high level.

Then came the huge suprise. I tried the MM driver Fenix with a 14500 3.7V Lithium Ion rechargeable cell. And my jaw just dropped at the results. 1280 lux at 1 meter, more than double the output with NiMH AAs. In short, the Fenix began to live up to its "bird of fire" namesake and cranked out an incredible amount of light. A huge WOW factor here! I was really taken by suprise as it had been quite a long while since the output of a single LuxIII light made my eyes go wide. The driver handles the extra voltage without a hitch, pumping 1.890A from the cell and generating quite a lot of heat in the process. It outgunned a McLux PD TWOJ and even exceeded a U-bin Orb Raw! Its beam profile was very similar to a Raw, a fairly large center spot with even intensity and plenty of useful corona light with a nice even transition. But on a LiIon it was brighter overall than all the single LuxIII lights I could throw at it, except the giant killer McGizmo HD45 running a UX1K @ 950mA. Brighter overall than McLux PD, Lioncub, KI, and HDS U85! Of course runtime is short, limited by the heat generated on high level, but it handily outlasts the U-bin Raw while being brighter! The neat thing about this is on low level, output is almost identical to a stock L1p, although the runtime is still noticeably shorter.

I'd have to summarize by announcing that Eric Miller's driver circuit is indeed successful and drives the LuxIII quite nicely, with the unexpected bonus of being able to transform the little Fenix into a flame thrower with the addition of a 14500 cell at will. The major downside is the loss of runtime compared to a stock L1p, which to me is one of its key selling points, the ability to run a HECK of a long time on a single AA. What we have here is a hotrod Fenix that has the potential to be significantly improved with a premium binned emitter and some fine tuning of drive level.

As a mod, its functional and effective, albeit geared towards maximum brightness. For me personally, a stock L1p is such a nice well balanced package offering stunning runtime that I would be reluctant to give that up. With the MillerMods driver, runtime is comparable to stock on low level, and superior in brightness and a much bigger spot (almost 2x) on high, making it a worthy contender. Whats REALLY cool is like nitrous oxide in a car, on demand you can throw in a 14500 cell, amaze your friends and confuse your enemies with an astounding amount of output from a single LuxIII and click down to low for stock L1p light levels. Final verdict for me (dominated by lust for brightness) is a thumbs up, with the caveat that some adjustments should be made to the levels of the unit I have. Of course MillerMods can accomidate any reasonable request, as I have opted for a lower low level and different emitter. I plan on having 2 of them, 1 with an overdriven stock R-bin and one set up for rechargeable LiIon and likely a UX1K or TWOH.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lunar,
Thank you for the review with the basic S bin LuxeonIII, with the larger hotspot and brighter output tell me something about the MM driver. It must be more effecient than the stock L1P driver and I like the "moon mode".

Although the R bin will be the throw champion, it is enticing to think of what a UWOH MM L1P would achieve. A lux rating of 800-900 with the hotspot twice as large would be great on a 2500mAH Powerex cell. Since it will be a helmet light, don't have the need for the Lithium-Ion cell but it is fun to think about. Say 50 to 60 minutes with a premium U bin on high and 2.5 hours on low (3 ohms?) would be a nice helmet light. Stash a battery station lithium AA cell on my recumbent in case I just want to keep riding on bright if the mood hits me.

If the MillerMods L1P has the two-stage switch option set right, there is absolutely no downside when using the R bin VS a stock L1P. Low will be the stock drive level for 2+ hours of runtime on a NiMH and decent runtime with an alkaline. Swap to a NiMH for high output for 45-50 minutes or so and the light costs $71. The only "down side" would be losing the clicky switch but the upside makes that insignificant.

Put me on the list for the MM L1P R-bin/2-stage switch.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will order you an L1P and mod it. $47.00 for the L1P, $22.00 for the circuit and $3.00 for the switch mod and $13.00 to install the circuit. When I'm finished I'll PM you. Shouldn't take more than a week or 2. If this is fine PM me.

I should mention that I noticed the current draw Lunarmodule had mentioned. His meter isn't giving the correct reading, it should be between 1.7 and 1.9 amps of draw from the battery. This is why the runtime suffers. The switcher is about 88% efficent through out the batteries whole charge.

Last edited:

wwglen

Enlightened

What this REALLY sounds good for is the people with a L1P AND a L2P.

Run the L1 head on the L2 for the more efficient regulation and run time and run the L2 on the L1 head with the new Miller Mod for the extra bright output.

wwglen

Last edited:

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened

So... This mod will allow the use of AA cells *AND* 14500 Li-Ion cells? Very nice! I have a few questions... Do the 14500 cells need to be protected cells? What kind of efficiency are we talking about from the NiMH cells? 88%? Or did I understand that wrong.. How much current is going through the LED with the Li-Ion? Is that independently configurable from the NiMH current?

With the two stage mod, how does that change efficiency and runtime? I guess I'd like a feel of what the choices are, say 450 mA ~1 hour full power, 70 mA ~8 hours low mode... Corresponding Li-Ion values?

I'm rather interested in this.

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened

A few other things came to mind... If we were to send you a Fenix and Luxeon to do the mod with, would you need a star or just an emitter? It would also be interesting to see the difference in beam profiles between the old slug and the new one in the Fenix.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

I never really intended for this driver to be able to use lithium-ion cells, it just happens to be able to handle it with no protest. I'm in the process of changing the design a little to see what I can come up with. The Li-ion would have to be protected; the circuit is designed to work below 1 volt which would kill a Li-ion if it was left to discharge to low.
The circuit the way I have it right now drives the lux at 2.1 watts max 2 watts nominal with a Energizer Lithium 1.5V cell and 1.7 watts max 1.6 watts nominal with a NIMH. The two-stage mod with a 10 ohm resistor draws 175mA from the cell (from a 2250 mAh cell I got over 11 hours of about the same brightness), so you get many hours of light and it produces a very reasonable and useful amount of light (more light and throw than ANY 5mm single led light).
The efficiency is 88% down to 1.1 Volts. I'm using a large inductor and slow switch speed to achieve this.

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened

That's excelent efficiency :) Is this basically a boost circuit? Is the rundown curve going to look like the battery discharge curve? What happens if you throw in a lower Vf LED? Does the current go up or remain largely the same? 10 Ohms is 175 mA from the cell, that drives the LED at what, 50 mA?

If you do throw in a 14500, does it continue to boost the voltage to something crazy that's going to fry the LED (or shorten it's lifespan)? Sounds like it is if an S bin is out shining a direct driven U bin - according to Lunar's review. Would it be complicated to just run direct drive off a Li-Ion and only boost while under 2.0 v or so? Perhaps that would make Li-Ions more manageable without adding too much complexity.

Thank you for responding to my inquisitive self :)

Somy Nex

Enlightened

BackBlast said:
If you do throw in a 14500, does it continue to boost the voltage to something crazy that's going to fry the LED (or shorten it's lifespan)? Sounds like it is if an S bin is out shining a direct driven U bin - according to Lunar's review.

that's a question that I have too actually... my interest remains high on this mod, but unfortunately i'll have to wait till i find a job before i spend any more money =P

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

PM sent!
MM L1P with stock R bin and 5 ohm two-stage switch. 88% efficiency on a single NiMH battery? After seeing what the stock L1P converter does, this is a major step up.

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened

BentHeadTX said:
After seeing what the stock L1P converter does, this is a major step up.

Agreed! Another croud that might appreciate this circuit is anyone who wants, say, a 1 D or 1 C light for extra long runtime. At least I recall rumors when discussing what the Fenix could do with a single alkaline cell. I'm not sure the best host for such a project, but plenty of people cut down Mags already.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

This driver was not designed to run with a Lithium-ion originally. I still don't know if it ever will be. If I have the circuit configured for a high output single cell drive, there is no way the current drive to the Lux will be reasonable if a lithium-ion cell is used. I would have to back down the drive for single cell use to keep the drive within reason for lithium-ions. So there's a trade off here. The drive to Lux will be 1 Amp at minimum, so if you are interested in an overdriven Lux, this mod might work for you.

greenLED

Flashaholic

this is really cool!!
:twothumbs, MillerMods!

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened

Okay, so currently no special case is made for Li-Ion... Fair enough. I look forward to seeing how the default R bin performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.