Miners trapped in Chile...... for a looong time!

nuphoria

Newly Enlightened
It's an incredible thing to watch live... almost like the moon landing or something. Incredible achievement :)

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
It's definitely an incredible thing to watch.

Glad to see the miners all seem to be in good health.

edit - Amazing!!! Watching the capsule entering right now.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drop'em a bunch of quark AA's and that's it. We've established they'll run OVER 400 hours on moon mode which down there will seem like sunlight

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

hottdogg

Newly Enlightened
I'm watching the rescue of the 33 miners in Chile now, and i can se MANY headlamps there.

Looks like Petzl is well presentated, i can clearly see Petzl MYO XP and DuoBelt :D

Okay, headlamps is not the most important thing here, it is human lifes.. But i was pretty curious what headlamp these rescue people use! :) The use of Petzl headlamps on this should be VERY good commercial for Petzl i guess.. Millions is watching!

Hahaha same here, noticing the headlamp...
Beside petzl do you guys know what other headlamp/helmet lamp the mine rescuers/workers wear?

btw, good thing the rescue has been started succesfully...:thumbsup:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last miner up will have broken the world record for longest time spent trapped underground and survived.

Actually, no.

Because of some arguing between the guys about who would be the last one up and actually receive this distinction, all the miners finally came to the agreement that they will all be listed as having spent the same amount of time underground.

The thing that impresses me the most is the fact that the shaft that was opened for that capsule is actually straight - approximately 700 meters. :eek:

And did anybody else notice that all the miners coming up were wearing Oakley sunglasses with some super dark lens?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to be pulled up like this in such a tiny capsule, I would beg for a HUGE shot of valium before I go. Just to think about being stuck in this make me feel uncomfortable :huh:

Xacto

Enlightened
Besides the issue of the darkness below and the need for sunglasses, I find the fact interesting that they get a shot against germs etc. with the reasoning, that they weren't in contact with them while they were below.

Gives any dystopic movie about people surviving in bunkers (Terminator 3/4 etc.) a whole new perspective about the problems and dangers.

Anyway, back in the real life, I do keep my breath until the last miner and the physician are back on the surface.

Cheers
Thorsten

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that after the 33 Miners are back on the surface, there are 5 Rescuers that need to come back up to the surface also. I think the Doctor would make 6, but am unsure.

I know they sent down 2 rescuers last night, I wasn't aware of any others going down?

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
I know they sent down 2 rescuers last night, I wasn't aware of any others going down?

While I was watching the rescue early this morning, the commentator said that 3 rescuers will be going down at first, obviously alternating as they bring up the miners, and at 12 Noon (I think that was the time mentioned,) 2 other rescuers will be going down. Then he said after the 33 miners are brought up to the surface, the rescuers would be brought back up.
He may have been mistaken, but this is what I heard.

If there are less miners as they are being brought to the surface, why would they send more rescuers?

ArmyMedicDad

Newly Enlightened
It's an incredible thing to watch live... almost like the moon landing or something. Incredible achievement :)
That's what I thought while watching the rescue last night. They then interviewed a US mining rep. She said that this rescue was so unprecedented (time and distance underground), that the planning and efforts could be compared to a "moon landing". At this distance below the surface, every other mining accident in the world has been a body recovery effort and not a rescue.

ArmyMedicDad

Newly Enlightened
And did anybody else notice that all the miners coming up were wearing Oakley sunglasses with some super dark lens?
Those were donated by the company. One news website even had a poll as to the appropriateness of Oakley taking advantage of the free advertising. They were probably just pissed that they didn't think of the idea first.

Chicago X

Enlightened
If I had to be pulled up like this in such a tiny capsule, I would beg for a HUGE shot of valium before I go. Just to think about being stuck in this make me feel uncomfortable :huh:

The miners will not be given any sedatives, per CNN.

In case of an emergency, they want everyone's head as clear as possible.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
The miners will not be given any sedatives, per CNN.

In case of an emergency, they want everyone's head as clear as possible.

Yes-sedatives increase the chances of aspiration and death. Vomiting while standing upright is dangerous enough, calming drugs make it even more dangerous unfortunately. I've never considered myself claustrophobic, but 15 minutes in that pod... :green: