Mini-Maglite: Genuine xenon replacements

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how well these xenon bulbs handle being over driven; For example being run on a 14500 lithium ion battery with a couple of spacers, that should yield better results (assuming the bulb doesn't go :poof:)...
I reckon it would - that's after all a 50% overdrive on an already fairly stressed buylb to start with.

But - a LiFe 14500 at 3.2V might work for a while...

Such a shame the ceramic hotwire kit is off the market.

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I received a Mini Mag AA for christmas somehow ;) and it's an oh-so-odd but amazing blue. I bought a pack of Xenon replacements 2 for $1.49 at walmart today, and the results are unimpressive. I have always hated the output of stock minimags, and they have less throw than my Fenix LD01 (1xAAA).

I'll post some beamshots comparing stock bulbs if you guys want them.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a couple packs of these last night. I can see a brightness and definitely a whiteness boost. I loaded up some nizn AA cells to see if I'd get overdrive or poof. My results using fully charged cells (but not fresh off the charger):

Nimh AAs: 370ma
Nizn AAs: 430ma

the bulb is ok so far. I used it for around 20 mins or more last night, and turned it on an off many times repeatedly. So far, so good. The extra voltage of the nizn cells is providing a nice little overdrive.

Having said that, I think it's important for us to remember that this isn't a hotwire. On nimh, its: 2.4V x .37A = .9W vs. 3.2V x .43A = 1.4W on nizn. So, the incan MM has improved, and to me, is now useable. I actually like it; something very old is new again!

Also, the mission of this light isn't a thrower or total output vehicle. Its a small, 2AA incan with a total lumen output of... 15-20 lumens or so. Nice. Because of this, I am using mine with a UCL-LCF lens to make the beam perfect smooth and floodier with no artifacts. Now, it fits into a niche in my incan arsenal of short range flooder at low power but with respectable whiteness.

:)

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though I have the Xenon bulb in one of my Minimags, the beam is rather :green:

I think I might get a lens with the UDF coating to see what it does since these lights are only used in the house.

I should also try that bulb with a pair of L91s and see how it looks, assuming it doesn't :poof:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't reduce overall output much; but the beam profile changes alot. You get a directed flood beam with a hotspot that is much larger with a smooth transition to flood; great for short range or indoors. Try it; if you don't like it, you're only out a few $ and can go back to the stock lens. I have these on all my stock Maglites. No dark spots, artifacts or rings.

To me, Mags are great loaner lights, good for emergencies and sudden needs. The vast majority of those needs involve close range work, tasks or navigation. Walking through the woods and spotting bears isn't the mission I envision for them. Simple ops, alk batts, easy go.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, thanks for the info! It is a bit of money though, and glass could break (which is why I've only looked into UCL and havn't purchased yet). :green:

elumen8

Enlightened
I use the Surefire F04 diffuser on most of my minimags. It does reduce the output somewhat but creates a terrific, yet slightly dimmer, flood pattern with no distinguishable hotspot. Its great for walking around late at night without producing too much light to wake up or disturb others.

An added little bonus with using the diffuser is by unscrewing the bezel further, as if to make a floodier beam, it actually dims the light output even more. Low-low lumens in a darkened house is all right by me.

JB

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, it combines an anti-roll ring and a diffiser into one accessory... :party:

At $14 though, it'll cost more than the light... :whistle:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are Mag anti-roll bezels that are actually even better than the SF ones (I use both). As for the diffuser, you can use Scotch tape if money is an issue. :thumbsup:

420light

Newly Enlightened
Re: 2AA Mini-Maglite; Krypton vs. Xenon bulbs

Why is the hotspot brighter with xenon+ Duracel alkalines brighter than xenon + rechargables :confused:

Sure. here we go shot down the hall at about 25 feet.

stock 2C Maglight
2C-MAG-Stock.jpg

next we have the 2C Maglight with the Xenon. Both pretty pathetic IMHO. The minimag is actually ALOT brighter than either of the 2 2C mag bulbs. Main thing I noticed with the xenon was its alot less yellow. (even though its still quite yellow)
2C-MAG-Xenon.jpg

ok here we have the stock 2AA MiniMag with NIMH rechargeables in it.
MiniMAG-Stock.jpg

Minimag with Xenon and rechargeables
MiniMAG-Xenon.jpg

and lastly the MiniMag Xenon with duracell Alkalines in it.
Mini-Xenon-Alkalines.jpg

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
Re: 2AA Mini-Maglite; Krypton vs. Xenon bulbs

Why is the hotspot brighter with xenon+ Duracel alkalines brighter than xenon + rechargables :confused:

Rechargeables are only 1.2V per cell, alkalines are 1.5V, so initially, alkalines will be brighter, but rechargeables have a shallower discharge curve.