Mini-Maglite: Genuine xenon replacements

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of run time before it gets too look like the krypton bulb?

Hard to say. I have only used it for a few minutes at a time but if I was to guess I would say that the xenon will appear a little whiter during the entire lifespan of the batteries.

mizraim73

Newly Enlightened
I bought a pack at Home Depot for under $2.00. As others have said they appear to be whiter than the stock bulb.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Not at all. According to any info I've seen, the stock red bulb is a vacuum bulb. If I'm mistaken and its a krypton bulb, then my mistake.

AFAIK, the red bulb is vacuum, and the black bulb is Xenon.

Actually, the red/pink bulb is vacuum; the pink/black is Krypton and the white is Xenon. Maybe it was different when you posted this.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 2AA Mini-Maglite; Krypton vs. Xenon bulbs

Rechargeables are only 1.2V per cell, alkalines are 1.5V, so initially, alkalines will be brighter, but rechargeables have a shallower discharge curve.

Another thing to consider here is the very low current draw of a Minimag. If you are running something with a high current draw like a 3854H or XM-L, the light is going to be brighter from th git-go with NiMH because the current that these lamps draw is going to drop the voltage of alkalines well below 1.2 volts. But since a Minimag draws such low current, at least a fresh alkaline battery is going to be able to maintain a voltage higher than 1.2 volts.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the red/pink bulb is vacuum; the pink/black is Krypton and the white is Xenon. Maybe it was different when you posted this.

I remember there being green ones as well before the pink ones. They were not as bright, but were krypton as well I believe. I remember noticing a large difference between the newer krypton and older krypton bulbs.

I went a little crazy today and picked up a bunch of incan Minimags and Solitaires while I still could find any in gunmetal gray, so it was strange to see this thread at the top. I'm probably going to have to pick up some xenon Minimag bulbs now while they are still available, I haven't used any in quite awhile.

Has anyone ever tried running a stock krypton bulb on a 3AA MagLED body with an incan Minimag head and three alkalines? I have zero experience with the MagLED's so I don't even know if a 2AA Minimag head will screw onto a 2AA or 3AA MagLED or if the threading is different.

Last edited:

apete2

Newly Enlightened
In the last few years, due to Mag changing their Magnum Star bulbs into bi-pin, you can use the 2D .82A bulb with 2 NiMH if you drill out the reflector. I think it is better than the Twintask and much easier to find.

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
In the last few years, due to Mag changing their Magnum Star bulbs into bi-pin, you can use the 2D .82A bulb with 2 NiMH if you drill out the reflector. I think it is better than the Twintask and much easier to find.
How does the shape of the beam look? Is it any brighter?

apete2

Newly Enlightened
Much brighter and a larger hotspot. I would say its about a 2D mag on fresh batteries - 25 lumens maybe. Throws well.

Flood is worse though since the bulb sits higher and there is a much larger dark zone in the middle.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, apete2 !

Sounds VERY interesting !

:thumbsup:

What size drill bit would we require for this ?