Mini-Review of the River Rock Half Watt 2 AAA Flashlight

pradeep1

Enlightened
After melting my first RR2AAA reflector, I went back to Target and got another one. It seems that this one still has the blueish tint, but is not quite as bright as my first one. Hmmmm....is there a LED lottery with these as well? I wonder. I'll post more thoughts after it gets really dark and I can test out the light in absolute pitch black darkness.

wwglen

Enlightened
I have the nuwai version also.

My problem is with the apparent LACK of waterproofing on the tail.

I held the light in my mouth a few times and started having problems with the light not coming on.

Turned out that moisture (drool) from my mouth got inside the light and made a mess. This is when I learned to take the head apart to dry it out.

wwglen

pradeep1

Enlightened
I have updated the ratings with my findings with a second sample. I think I am going to return this light to Target and see if I can get a better sample or just give it up and not worry about it. Very disappointed. :(

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
pradeep1 said:
After melting my first RR2AAA reflector, I went back to Target and got another one. It seems that this one still has the blueish tint, but is not quite as bright as my first one. Hmmmm....is there a LED lottery with these as well? I wonder. I'll post more thoughts after it gets really dark and I can test out the light in absolute pitch black darkness.

Yes, there is an lottery for both tint and brightness with these .5w LEDs. I bought four of the Nuwai version in January and two were nearly identical to each other in tint and brightness, but were slightly bluer than the other two, which were also nearly identical.

The two River Rock 2AAA lights that I bought last Saturday were nearly identical to each other, but both a little bluer than all four of my Nuwai 2AAA.

pradeep1

Enlightened
LightObsession said:
Yes, there is an lottery for both tint and brightness with these .5w LEDs. I bought four of the Nuwai version in January and two were nearly identical to each other in tint and brightness, but were slightly bluer than the other two, which were also nearly identical.

The two River Rock 2AAA lights that I bought last Saturday were nearly identical to each other, but both a little bluer than all four of my Nuwai 2AAA.

That sucks. :(

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
I bought the 2 C version and hated it. Not very bright and it went back.

WHen I saw it in the store I immediately wanted it. A massive disappointment.

Illuminated

Enlightened
wwglen said:
I have the nuwai version also.

My problem is with the apparent LACK of waterproofing on the tail.

I held the light in my mouth a few times and started having problems with the light not coming on.

Turned out that moisture (drool) from my mouth got inside the light and made a mess. This is when I learned to take the head apart to dry it out.

wwglen

You might try wrapping a few layers of Teflon plumber's tape around the the threads. This should provide additional water resistance and possibly even smoother tailcap operation. Don't cover the O-ring or the end of the tube with the tape - only cover the threads. You might have to experiment with the number of layers to get the best performance.

Hope this helps - John

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
As of today I have a second Target example (this one Silver).

It is both brighter and more blueish tinted. The spot is a slight bit less messy too.

That said I'm keeping the dimmer whiter Black one and giving my co-worker the Silver one.

My RR 2AA Headlamp is a KEEPER!!!

pradeep1

Enlightened
I bought another 2AAA RR flashlight from Target yesterday. I made sure the LED was centered, and this time, I lucked out and got a very good copy. This will make a great flashlight. I've brought back my rating of the flashlight to 4 stars.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Great little light for the $$$.

I removed the head from mine using several tightly wrapped layers of a road bike inner tube around the body (for grip & leverage) and a small rubber strap wrench on the head. Left no marks whatsoever.

BB/DB boards are the same diameter as the original circuit board, FWIW...

I replaced the bluish LED in mine with a cut-down MJLED. Don't know if it's any brighter - but now the color and beam pattern is very, very nice!!

Current draw from batts measured roughly 10% more than stock, so run time shouldn't suffer much.

Thanks to all for sharing comments on these lights -

John

attowatt

Enlightened
Updated the clicky switch that was posted in this thread (earlier), with a new and improved fairly easy mod, using the same switch as for the dorcy aaa light. This switch is available from digikey for $1.22 each.

This is a DPDT switch, but is only being used as a on/off setup (read the dorcy aaa link below, if you have questions).

Have not quite figured how to secure this switch in tailcap; will probably use silicone to hold in place. As you can see in pics below, I left the pin contacts "out" so they make contact with main body of tube. The center pins on this switch are touching the negative side of battery(as well as each other to increase the current capacity). This is a lot easier to mod this light for clicky on/off feature as NO soldering is needed; in case you decide to restore to original switch.

Enjoy,
Jim

EDITED IN: THIS SWITCH ALSO HAS THE MOMENTARY/TEMPORARY ON WITHOUT ACTUALLY CLICKING IT ON.

It's no surefire clicky switch, but it operates the same way.

Dorcy clicky on/off:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92736

Last edited:

pradeep1

Enlightened
onthebeam said:
I took mine back to Target today. Didn't like the blue beam and wished it had more spill, although it is well made and a good buy. I have a $6 light (free shipping, too) I like much better from Surplus Computers. It's brighter with a decent spot and very wide and smooth beam, but not quite as sexy as the River Rock:

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CES10669

I have that one from Surpluscomputers as well. It is bright, but it is not regulated and is more of a flood light with limited sight distance. I thought the RR2AAA had a decent spill....maybe your was a dud like the one I got a while back ago. :)

Illuminated

Enlightened
pradeep1 said:
Has anyone been able to put a Luxeon in this light and make a cheaper Fenix? :)

FWIW - I believe a BB from the Shoppe is the same diameter as the original circuit board, so a Luxeon might just be possible...

John

onthebeam

Enlightened
Yep, maybe mine was a dud. The local Target just had one more so I didn't pick it up. The Surplus light is suprisingly white and bright for the money-a great around the house light. But you are right that it's not meant for serious throw. For that I'd reach for the ProPoly AA Luxeon.

Ledean

Enlightened
Got the River Rock from target yesterday and i must say for the money it is a great deal.
I discovered that it is able to work on just one battery . Used the regular battery that came supplied with the flashlight
The output was about half. Still a much better beam than a dorcy 1 AAA.
Incidentally that was the last River Rock around . Seem to be the hottest selling flashlight now.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
For $9.99 walk out the door now price, it is a great light. I picked up a silver one and popped out the clip. I wish the clip was silver. I did not like to looks of black clip on the silver light. The quality of the light is nice and I lucked out on the LED. It is bright and white with the usual bluish tint with good tight throw and decent spill.

It is regulated. Any 3V light based upon 2 AA or 2AAA has to be! Regulation is not that great. With the included duracell alkaline, it pulls about 150mA. With freshly charged NiCd it pulls only 110mA. You can notice the difference in the brightness between 110mA and 150mA. Regulation circuitry in the Costco 2AA is far better.

This light has the length of Emilion's single AAA "Moonbeam". That is not saying much :)

What does bother me is the unnecessary thickness of the tube. Why do most of the manufacturers fail to capitalize on the size of a AAA cell and make a flashlight as thin as possible? Compared to Arc AAA, River Rock seems to almost the double in the thickness.

- Vikas

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm with you, Vikas, regarding the thickness of the battery tube in this light. It does seem more than necessary, at least compared to most other AAA's. Maybe a little extra is needed because of the 2 AAA length making it more suseptable to bending. Seems like most manufacturers need to put their lights on diets. To me, smaller/more pocketable is always better.

Geoff

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this light brighter, as bright, or less bright than a Streamlight Stylus?

I'm thinking I just might want to pick one up (the RR 0.5W) today on the way home from work.