Mini-Review of the River Rock Half Watt 2 AAA Flashlight

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very interested in doing the clickie switch mod posted above in this thread by Attowat on 9/21/05. The only question/concern I have is that in the modified version of the flashlight, I am not seeing a spring battery contact anywhere.

It looks like battery contact is maintained only by compression forces through imcompressible parts. The risk I am seeing here is that if you overtighten the tailcap even slightly, you will be driving the batteries mercilessly into the circuit board at the front of the light and possibly causing cracking, dislodging, misalignment or other problems there.

Also, maintaining good contact is achieved by having the tailcap tightened to just the precise point-- too lose and the light would probably flicker.

I would assume that the rubber switch boot does privide a very minimal amount of springiness between the endcap and switch body. Maybe this is sufficient to maintain good battery contact and avoid too much trouble if you are careful about the overtightening issue.

Still, I think it would be ideal if there were a spring battery contact in there at one end or the other. But it looks like there is not much room and attaching it properly is another thing to figure out.

So I am wondering if anyone has any input on this? Did I miss something in the instructins or is this nothing to worry about anyway? Easy solution?

Also, just to throw this out there, the River Rock .5W 2AAA headlamp has a dual-brightness clickie switch. Anyone figured out how to stuff those electronics into the flashlight? That would be neat too.

cmendoza

Enlightened
sween1911,

The RR is much brighter than the Stylus. I've modded a Stylus with a MJLED (actually the Shoppe version) which has the same throw as the RR but puts out much more light.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vikas Sontakke said:
It is regulated. Any 3V light based upon 2 AA or 2AAA has to be! Regulation is not that great. - Vikas

When I look at the runtime plots for this light using alkaline batteries, I wonder why it it considered to be regulated. What is the definition of regulated? I would think that a regulated light would have a pretty flat discharge curve, but many people call lights regulated when the discharge curve is decending, sometimes pretty significantly. Maybe I'll start another thread to ask this question. "Regulated" seems pretty subjective.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, but it just seems that this term has been used pretty loosely by manufacturers & reviewers.

Sorry for the rant.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmendoza said:
sween1911,

The RR is much brighter than the Stylus. I've modded a Stylus with a MJLED (actually the Shoppe version) which has the same throw as the RR but puts out much more light.

Wow! Your modded Stylus is now brighter than a RR 2AAA .5w? Man, you must really go through those AAAA batteries!

cmendoza

Enlightened
LightObsession,

Haven't gone through a set of batteries yet. I'm thinking of doing a runtime test though. I have lots of "AAAA"s taken from Energizer 9volts! I was thinking of putting an MJLED in the RiverRock. Would this drive the LED too hard?

Chris

Charlie Fox

Newly Enlightened
I bought mine last summer and have been EDC'ing it since. Not as bright as some other lights but I needed a small light for my back pocket. I am very pleasently suprised by its toughness and beam. I'll have to pick another one....or two...or four