Modding & other stuff I'm willing to do for free

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for someone in the SF Bay Area who is able to effectively machine down McR reflectors in fast turnaround time. I'm planning on buying a few of these reflectors but need to have them shortened. Anyone who can help me pls PM me asap, thanks for reading.

HenryE

Newly Enlightened
I need some advice regarding a Streamlight TL3 xenon that I keep in the car --- it's a true blinder. 3 CR123s generate 200 lumens from a very small (6.25" x 0.875") handheld with a substantial (1.625") reflector.

I'm reasonably competent with a soldering iron and an old Unimat, but am a newbie in the flashlight world. What I'd like to do is figure out a way to convert this 9V dragonslayer to a very high output Luxeon light, perhaps even multiple Luxeons, with regulation and more than one output level.

Or should I just buy what I really need?

Henry

greenLED

Flashaholic
HenryE, I recommend you browse the incandescent forum and PM some of the modders/builders there. I'm not up to speed with the hotwire world; js, bwaites may be able to help you find an answer.

HenryE

Newly Enlightened
Well, the TL3 starts out incandescent, but there's 9 willing volts and a nice package just waiting for someone to generate a LED conversion. I'll run over there as you suggest to see if anyone's done something like that...

Thanks!

mosport

Enlightened
This is mainly for CPF'ers here in the Toronto / GTA area,

I'm happy to do soldering work for people in the west end of the city-GTA area. If you're building something and need mod parts or supplies (as-in right away), PM me and I'll check if I have any to share. If you need to borrow a handtool, just ask!

I know how it can be hard to find flashlight stuff locally, I've been running around checking all the surplus electronic stores and now have a small fishing tacklebox full of flashlight modding supplies (resistors, fasteners, springs, thermal management products, washers, various size o-rings, etc...).

Happy modding!

Derek

dta116

Newly Enlightened
Will solder anything needed if return shipping is included with package. If you need more just ask, if I can do it, I will. (IE; board drilling, trace repair, ect)

I am a retired Electronic Engeneer who has had a computer business/custom electronics shop for the last 24 yrs. I am very proficient at soldering. Not much to do these days, so this is a good time to give something (not much) back for now. As my Modding proficency increases I will offer more. Just got into this Flashlight thing.....(Adicting ain't it)

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would really be great is someone who could mill slots for tritium vials. I would be willing to pay a small fee for that of course. Or is there already someone around who can do that? :eek:

greenLED

Flashaholic
dat116, :thanks: for offering your services!! I just added your services to the top post.

flashlight, feel free to :poke: other modders on the forum and point them to this thread. We have very few people willing to do this due to the risk of completely ruining the parts/lights. It's a horrible feeling when you "kill" somebody else's light. :mecry:

grnamin

Enlightened
I can now add the following: gen4 KL1...open up bezel, remove optic and domed lens, replace lens with UCL, replace optic with McR20 reflector, replace LED if wanted. All the owner needs to supply or order are the reflector, lens and LED as well as pay for return postage. Labor is free. :)

nima

Newly Enlightened
I don't have much experiance with flashlight modding, but I have been using Debian Linux as my sole OS for about a year. I would be glad to help other people get started, or fix problems they are having. I am also pretty good with Linux in server applications, so if anyone needs help setting up a server, I can do that too.

Although I only use Debian, I can probably at least point you in the right direction if you are using another distro.

I also have some experiance in web development.

Last edited:

oregonshooter

Enlightened
Sorry guys, no time to do mods anymore on the lathe or milling machine. Gonna have to retract my offer for now.

:awman:

Last edited:

Ruockolt

Newly Enlightened
GreenLED this is phenominal idea and it seems to be working great! Out of curiousity what GID paint did you use on on the U2 in your pics? I would love a PM with some info so I could perhaps do it myself.

Thanks