• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :-)

BIGWOOD

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :)

Wayne,

What are you using mostly bond your PCBs to the heatsinks? Arctic Silver? I've using Fujik paste and it has served me well however my new project calls for 10 x 7135 regulators to be used in a tactical application. I wonder if there is something better as I never have driven anything over 3A. I'm not sure if the Fujik will be enough to soak up all that heat. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vinh, do you still share knowledge thru this thread ???

Any secret of how to replace driver on Solarforce M3... the one installed originally is not soldered, rather pressed once driver in spot with brass ring... I can't come up with a solution to remove it w/o tearing something apart... I remember seeing someone mentioning that you replaced a driver on their M3...

Thanks in advance... this thing would be really good with XPG2 R5 pushed around 2A...

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Wayne,

What are you using mostly bond your PCBs to the heatsinks? Arctic Silver? I've using Fujik paste and it has served me well however my new project calls for 10 x 7135 regulators to be used in a tactical application. I wonder if there is something better as I never have driven anything over 3A. I'm not sure if the Fujik will be enough to soak up all that heat. Any help would be much appreciated.

I use this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silv...hermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item4abf027c85

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

If I remember correctly the M3 has a screwed on brass pill. You should the stainless ring off first and then remove the reflector to get to the LED. The brasss ring should come out with rubber gloves or pliers. Let me know.

Vinh, do you still share knowledge thru this thread ???

Any secret of how to replace driver on Solarforce M3... the one installed originally is not soldered, rather pressed once driver in spot with brass ring... I can't come up with a solution to remove it w/o tearing something apart... I remember seeing someone mentioning that you replaced a driver on their M3...

Thanks in advance... this thing would be really good with XPG2 R5 pushed around 2A...

p7united

Newly Enlightened

This might be the wrong place to ask but I'll give it a go. I'm building a solar power flash light that uses a super capacitor and am trying to limit the max voltage on the capacitor when charging. I've been using a few diodes in series with a forward voltage just under capacity but was thinking a zener diode and resistor might be more appropriate. I've also considered an op amp to sense the voltage but I don't want things to get complicated, any thoughts?

jac2001

Newly Enlightened

Sent you a PM about a Maelstrom G5.
Also, I've got a Kobalt XML two mode and want to mount it on a rifle as a one mode. What's my best option?

J.

MattSPL

Enlightened

Hi Wayne

I just modded my Shadow SL3 with 11 more 380mA 7135 chips. It's a triple XM-L 26650 light that is 4.5A as standard. It's now roughly 9A after the mod.

My problem is, the light now flickers intermittently, even when switched off(it has an electronoic switch), and slightly on low and medium modes. High mode is perfect.

Any idea's?

Cheers
Matt

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I have never add more than 8 so I am not quite sure. I am guessing too much current is heating up the IC on your board causing the irregular flickers.

Hi Wayne

I just modded my Shadow SL3 with 11 more 380mA 7135 chips. It's a triple XM-L 26650 light that is 4.5A as standard. It's now roughly 9A after the mod.

My problem is, the light now flickers intermittently, even when switched off(it has an electronoic switch), and slightly on low and medium modes. High mode is perfect.

Any idea's?

Cheers
Matt

MattSPL

Enlightened

I have never add more than 8 so I am not quite sure. I am guessing too much current is heating up the IC on your board causing the irregular flickers.

Thanks for the reply Wayne.

Here's a pic of the driver before the mod to give you a better idea. I soldered 11 more chips on.
The light flickers even when switched off and cold. Only un-screwing the cell tube stops this.
Initially, the light also flickered on low and medium modes too, but was perfect on high. After cleaning the circuit board, the flickering on medium has stopped, and almost stopped on low, but it still flickers while off, but dimly, like moonlight mode brightness.

Thanks for your help
Matt
8345574235_d9b3a28f82_c.jpg

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well... MY solution would be to just cut two notches in the edge pill to give me enough grip to grab ring with needle-nose pliers... I'm convinced that smaller ring inside is fitting ring so no need to solder driver NEG's... maybe I'm wrong... I didn't try to desolder wires from LED to see if the driver would move easier inside... but it looks TIGHT...

DSC07958x1_zpsf5568357.jpg

So I finally decided how to mod my future throwers... MPP1 will accommodate shaved XML2 U2 with KDv2 3A driver with added chips (3.8A or 4.2A)... The new M3 head that I just love in combo with S10 tailcap (I think it's S10) and McClicky deserves XPG2 R5 in 3D tint pushed around 2.1A - single mode... I believe if I bridge POS with first pin of closest AMC7135 and add two more 350mA chips, it should work reliable (NANJG 101-AK-A1 1.4A driver)...

DSC07959x1_zps9f3f1e44.jpg

DSC07963x1_zps2fb179f1.jpg

But I would really hate to ruin that pill trying to remove original driver from M3... once done, I'm guessing both reflectors will need a little stippling with glossy clear spray paint to smoothen a beam a little, few meters shaved in throw is acceptable if the beam is going to be smooth... (plus ALL smooth throwers tend to have shade in center of hotspot, whether it's XR-E from MPP1 or XML in M3)...

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I have never seen that driver before :)

If the light flicker when the switch is off then you definitely for a unwanted connection somewhere....Well unless its a digital switch then we have a digital issue. LOL

May be check all connection points and wash everything with goof off. A small solder ball can be messing things up too.

Thanks for the reply Wayne.

Here's a pic of the driver before the mod to give you a better idea. I soldered 11 more chips on.
The light flickers even when switched off and cold. Only un-screwing the cell tube stops this.
Initially, the light also flickered on low and medium modes too, but was perfect on high. After cleaning the circuit board, the flickering on medium has stopped, and almost stopped on low, but it still flickers while off, but dimly, like moonlight mode brightness.

Thanks for your help
Matt
8345574235_d9b3a28f82_c.jpg

MattSPL

Enlightened

Hi Wayne

I decided to start removing the chips i had added to find the problem. After removing one chip, the light worked perfectly. I replaced that chip with a new one, and the light worked perfectly, so i thought it must have been a faulty chip.
Then after about 3 hours, the flickering returned. I have removed the new chip, and the light works perfectly again, so, this time, i'm not replacing the chip and i will see if the flickering returns.

Cheers
Matt

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Much much current is messing up the IC I think

Hi Wayne

I decided to start removing the chips i had added to find the problem. After removing one chip, the light worked perfectly. I replaced that chip with a new one, and the light worked perfectly, so i thought it must have been a faulty chip.
Then after about 3 hours, the flickering returned. I have removed the new chip, and the light works perfectly again, so, this time, i'm not replacing the chip and i will see if the flickering returns.

Cheers
Matt

texas cop

Enlightened

MattSPL, after trouble shooting Shadow, Black Shadow and Thrunite's lately, it seems to be little things messing up the works. On all of these I've developed a clean up regiment. Body tubes get trued using a large flat honing stone to eliminate any high spots usually caused be threading or cutting the tube. This ended the Darth and some Thrunite fluttering. Grease,oil and little speck of solder caused all sorts of grief with the Shadow and Thrunite. A cleaning then a light scrubing with a toothbrush across the circuit board ended more fluttering. I really don't think the IC is having trouble with the current involved, however the 7135's might not be getting enough current to switch on from the IC. I don't have the specs but you might want to check on the 7135 current needed for operating. All those 7135's, a little battery voltage sag, imperfect solder, grease, heat, it all adds up. Then 1 or 2 7135's start turning off when current dips below there thresh hold then on as they recover (FLUTTER/FLICKER). Anyone up for IC stacking? Taking 1 or 2 7135's off helped try the other way add a few more, if its flutter or just not working then you'll know.

MattSPL

Enlightened
vinhnguyen54 Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :)

Thanks for the replays.
After removing the same chip again last night, I let the light sit overnight, and so far so good this morning. No flickering :)

Quest4fire

Enlightened

Thanks Matt. I hope that driver doesn't misbehave any more.