• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Moddoolar Discussion and Updates

Dingle1911

Enlightened
The light engine heads are still not on the website, I hope a new version is coming.

Any idea when the TL50 bodies in black will be ready.

Also how about black triad tailcaps with the short clip.

Thanks.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Also TL130

130's are ready to ship:

http://www.oveready.com/moddoolar-db-cell-tube-35-130mm-black-ha/prod_207.html

The light engine heads are still not on the website, I hope a new version is coming.

Any idea when the TL50 bodies in black will be ready.

Also how about black triad tailcaps with the short clip..

The reason we're less commicative this month is preparations for next month

TL50's didn't' make it into this years body batch but will be top of the list next year. Probably late winter.

We have trit/clip triads ready to go and are waiting on more clips to turn on the option. Should be 2-4 weeks.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were there ever any slim body, 65 millimeter DB bodies made in the past? Will it happen in the future?

Yes, we made slim 35,50,and 65.

I am unsure if we will run them again.

To me they make great minimal and lightwieght setups, as well as offer different grip options.

I often carry a slim50 with a ZRS and 18650 setup while backpacking. The result is a lot of illumination per inch and ounce.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, we made slim 35,50,and 65.

I am unsure if we will run them again.

To me they make great minimal and lightwieght setups, as well as offer different grip options.

I often carry a slim50 with a ZRS and 18650 setup while backpacking. The result is a lot of illumination per inch and ounce.

When I heard that you all would probably not make any more 50mm slim bodies, I bought another. They are that great. I know Oveready still offers the slim 50mm bodies in black but the naturals are only listed under the Moddoolar section, not in the parts section. My guess is that the 65mm slims sold out and implore you to make some more of them. But, what I think is fantastic ( like the 2Z bodies ) did not sell that much I guess. Boggles my mind.

A single emitter Wasp head with a slim 65mm? WOW

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
But, what I think is fantastic ( like the 2Z bodies ) did not sell that much I guess. Boggles my mind.

Yeah, its a challenge. 1) slims cost more to make but don't sell at the higher pricer. 2) slims are unconventional so even at the same price, sell much more slowly. 3) taking up room and cash, making normal bodies has to happen less often, so everything gets harder to keep in all sizes. We are now focused on the key standard diameter sizes and will watch as the remaining slims continue to sell through.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I heard that you all would probably not make any more 50mm slim bodies, I bought another. They are that great.

My last order I ordered a natural TL50s to add to my TL50s and TL65s in black. I prefer the slim over the regular body, put a clip on it, lanyard wrapped around the body & through the clip. Super comfortable carry.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, its a challenge. 1) slims cost more to make but don't sell at the higher pricer. 2) slims are unconventional so even at the same price, sell much more slowly. 3) taking up room and cash, making normal bodies has to happen less often, so everything gets harder to keep in all sizes. We are now focused on the key standard diameter sizes and will watch as the remaining slims continue to sell through.

Yeah. I have absolutely no 'beef' with the Oveready Team. It's the customers. Unless you WANT more weight and slightly more bulk, the slim bodies are easier to hold on to and work superb with a lanyard. Plus they look more interesting; one opinion.

That whole, "too pricey" comment makes me laugh, when you figure out how much folks here have spent on their light collections. Considering the Oveready resale value, along with a quick cost analysis over time, it is an excuse I can live without.

Last edited:

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know where I can find a slim 65mm body? I want to run 2 18350 batteries in it with my V5 Wasp.

Thanks!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Sorry, Slims have not been popular enough to make again. Your best shot are a WTB or a WTT for a standard 65.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Just to add my opinion in order to 'widen' views here a bit:

In the tropics, I've noticed that the lower amount of material in a slim body also makes a difference in how quickly the body heats up. It's significant enough to make a difference between a SF C3 (less material) versus a 9P or MD3-style body (more material).

That said, I'm surprised you guys are not doing a line of 1x26650 and 2x26650 bodies. The only option for them in the market is fivemega's bodies, which have an unusual square-cut knurling and there's not many of them left anyway as far a black goes, or TnC's bodies which need an adaptor to fit C heads and won't work with the Wasp heads. Anyone else in support of 26650 bodies with more conventional knurling designs?

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I love trying new things but also watch carefully how they are received. Things that dudes like get more support, things they don't fade away.

We introduced the ODL years ago as a 1x26650 P60 platform. Watching that single batch (never sold enough to make more) item sell and then not has been interesting. 26mm demand waxes and wanes, with bursts of demand after a hot new LED or dropin then years before the next burst. So too with battery capacity, 26650 gaining and then 18650 taking away its new advantage. Complicating matters, the size requires its own tailcap, reducing how good it can be with inserts and clips.

The trend has and will continue to be toward smaller and lighter. In the battle of runtime versus weight, small keeps winning. Larger cells don't make for a brighter package any more and can't compete with only runtime. When v5 became a possibility I put remaining ODL on hold, to test demand without risking another production run. When they can be sold together I'll do one last check. But I'm not that hopeful.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love trying new things but also watch carefully how they are received. Things that dudes like get more support, things they don't fade away.

We introduced the ODL years ago as a 1x26650 P60 platform. Watching that single batch (never sold enough to make more) item sell and then not has been interesting. 26mm demand waxes and wanes, with bursts of demand after a hot new LED or dropin then years before the next burst. So too with battery capacity, 26650 gaining and then 18650 taking away its new advantage. Complicating matters, the size requires its own tailcap, reducing how good it can be with inserts and clips.

The trend has and will continue to be toward smaller and lighter. In the battle of runtime versus weight, small keeps winning. Larger cells don't make for a brighter package any more and can't compete with only runtime. When v5 became a possibility I put remaining ODL on hold, to test demand without risking another production run. When they can be sold together I'll do one last check. But I'm not that hopeful.

Dan, do you and how do you distinguish whether a particular product itself is not popular or its price is not attractive. As the clientele of high-end lights typically have more money to spend, or at least are more willing to spend it, for them interest, not cost, is likely the deciding factor. Therefore, if a product is catered to this group and it doesn't sell well, chances are the product is not popular. On the other hand, if a product that is made for the more price-conscious flashaholic doesn't sell well, it could simply be that it's too expensive.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Dan, do you and how do you distinguish whether a particular product itself is not popular or its price is not attractive. As the clientele of high-end lights typically have more money to spend, or at least are more willing to spend it, for them interest, not cost, is likely the deciding factor. Therefore, if a product is catered to this group and it doesn't sell well, chances are the product is not popular. On the other hand, if a product that is made for the more price-conscious flashaholic doesn't sell well, it could simply be that it's too expensive.

By itself, a given product is not enough to tell. But thats where context comes in. If the 6P was the only P60 option and it was $80, 6P sales would show [those who want P60] + [those willing to spend $80]. But add in an L2 at $15 and things get more complex. The continued presence of both shows that [those who want P60] are spread across [those willing to spend $80] and [those willing to spend $15]. If either group of people stopped buying, the respective category would disappear.

From my standpoint as a producer, the inverse also helps me to distinguish demand. If [those who want 26mm] were a large group, there would be both enough of [those willing to spend $120] that I would have already made a 2nd batch. At the same time, [those willing to spend $20] would have inspired the production of at least one model at least one time. That neither has happened indicates inconsistent if not minimal demand.

So while my insistance on small local production neccasarily limits the number of people I can sell to, it does not automatically mean that everything I make would be largely popular if mass produced abroad. Sometimes limited production also means I get to make things with limited demand.

Last edited:

Ladd

Enlightened
Interesting discussion. Thanks for taking the time to answer these good questions. I really appreciate suppliers who not only have good products, but that take time to listen to their clients.