Model airplane headlight, formerly "flying searchlight"

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to build a spotlight with 36 XM-Ls, I'm jealous that you can get away with such small radiators for 16 XM-Ls ;p though obviously flying at 20-60 mph (no idea, what it actually is, sure its somewhere in there) is why you can get away with it. :nana:
WOW 36 XM-Ls gonna be a monster!
I strongly suggest liquid cooling like I've done. If you want to stack the LED one against the others so you don't end up with a massive reflector/lens in order to get a descent spot. Unless each LED have it's own reflectors...

6 strings of 6 LED on 6 copper tubes, driven with the same driver I use will make it.
You end up with a 3cm x 3cm light source.

My plane cruise at 25-30mph, can reach up to 50mph.

-Hugo

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . . . It looks as though you can make them at home by putting water in the pipe and sealing the end as the vapor escapes, just before the water is gone from inside. . . . .

This basic type of heat pipe will only work if mounted vertically and the heat source is at the lowest point.

If you want a heat pipe that works efficiently at any angle, it must be lined with a wicking material, to return the condensed liquid to the hot point.

upek

Newly Enlightened
You can mix car coolant with distilled water. You will get better coolant flow throught you cooling setup

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
At last! first test at twilight
(The number on top center is the current used by the light 0.4 = 4A, the two numbers on each sides is light's temp)

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
This is by far one of the coolest mods I've seen here to date. And it could prove very useful in search and rescue situations.

What camera are you using for the plane ? Been wanting one with directions and altitude on screen like that.

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
What camera are you using for the plane ? Been wanting one with directions and altitude on screen like that.

The camera has nothing to do with the on-screen data. I use a OSD from eagletree system, you plug it in-line with your video feed and it overlay data from connected sensors, such as GPS, current sensor or temp sensors ect... Not only that, if I loose radio control, it'll steer my plane back to me :) It also, feed my base-station with full telemetry and drive a motorized antenna to stay aimed at my plane.

simplec6

Enlightened
WOW! This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time, and the youtube videos had my smiling ear to ear at how cool that is. Keep it up man!

Do you mind sharing with us how you got into the hobby of Remote Control Planes and where you learned all of your electronics knowledge?

So damn cool, man...

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
WOW! This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time, and the youtube videos had my smiling ear to ear at how cool that is. Keep it up man!

Do you mind sharing with us how you got into the hobby of Remote Control Planes and where you learned all of your electronics knowledge?

Thx :)

I been playing with R/C starting from the age of 8, at 14 I built a fully working R/C hovercraft with my father. (although my father never been into R/C) Later, I had a traxxas T-maxx, sold it, gaz engines are a PITA. I then tried electric helicopters, with the advent of brushless motor and li-po batteries, power and flight time was there. I still fly helis today, but recently tried FPV with airplanes. I must admit I never really flew a R/C airplane the conventional way, only with goggle on :)
Here's a place where you can learn a lot flying an airplane FPV

Why not FPV helis? Because a 5ft carbon fiber rotor spinning at 2000rpm is just too dangerous.

I completed college in industrial electronics where I learned much in electronics. I also always been interested by electronics, as kid I played with those 100 in 1 electronics kit. You can be sure all my toys where dissected to know their inner working.

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
Thx guys! :)

At around 12mins I made contact with an intelligent life form. lol

-Hugo

simplec6

Enlightened
That is just freaking awesome, man. Damn, that's so cool. What does your flying console look like? Do you fly it from inside or outside?

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
Do you think it would be possible to do the same thing only in an RC Blimp?
So as you could survey over a few acres, and stay more stationary if wanted?
Do you think your cooling system would work at the slow speed, or when stationary?