Model airplane headlight, formerly "flying searchlight"

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
That is just freaking awesome, man. Damn, that's so cool. What does your flying console look like? Do you fly it from inside or outside?

I fly from outside, I set up a tripod that hold two video receivers and two antennas.
station.JPG

The tripod, receive video from the plane, record it and retransmit to video goggle.

12zaio.JPG

Plane is controlled via a regular model radio with an added UHF module that extend range to 50 miles or so.

Do you think it would be possible to do the same thing only in an RC Blimp?
So as you could survey over a few acres, and stay more stationary if wanted?
Do you think your cooling system would work at the slow speed, or when stationary?​

Absolutely, you'll have to install a small PC fan to make up for the lack of airflow. Another option will be a tri or quad copter, where the prop wash could be use for cooling.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hugo,

I'm about to take the plunge and start buying components for r/c FPV. I purchased Real Flight G4 sim to practice flying helis, but also started flying planes, too. I've been practicing in FPV mode and I'm ready for the real deal. I noticed you no longer have both of your cameras set up for 3d vision. Do you prefer one camera better?

Which control tx/rx do you have? I would like to add a UHF module as well for extended range and the Eagle Tree Systems OSD with return to home feature, although I don't know exactly everything I need.

And which video tx and rx are you using and what is their max range (roughly), since the video feed is just as important as the controls :)?

What goggles are you using? They look similar to the Fat Shark goggles, but those usually have decals all over them.

I'm planning to build a Tri-copter as well for some slow, low, flying, and I'm planning to install a GoPro HD camera on that one to record in HD. I was flying coaxial and fixed pitch helis before viewing your threads, but wasn't aware of FPV until you started your first thread. So you have been a major source of inspiration for my desire to fly FPV. Sorry about all the questions :). I thought about sending you a pm instead of posing here because this is sort-of veering off topic, since the topic is about your lighting and not your FPV equipment. But then I thought if I post here, and you answer here, it may save you some time by not having to repeat yourself to multiple people inquiring about basically the same thing.

Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge,

Casey

P.S. my wallet will soon dislike you very much so :)

Last edited:

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
P.S. my wallet will soon dislike you very much so :)
Indeed :)

My 3D cam, is poor at night, even with with a powerful headlight.
I use a Futaba 12Z for control, but less expensive units will do as well, such as the 8FG or if you can find a used 9C. I attach a Thomas Scherrer's UHF system on the radio, that give crazy range, like 40-60mi. (PM me if you want a good deal on one ;) and install instructions)

Once you have a UHF, video link become the weakest part. Refrain from using high power video transmitter on the plane. 500mw is enough, focus on the Rx part for more range. Lawmate stuff is the ticket, bit expensive but worth every penny on the long road. Consider circular polarized antennas for best video experience. I developed, my own models of CP antennas, again PM me ;)

The multiplex twinstar is a good model to start, plenty of room for FPV gear and lots of build logs on the net. The skywalker is another good candidate.

My goggle are foxtech AIO (all in one), they feature a build-in head tracker and 2.4ghz-5.8ghz video rx. Fatshark, just released a similar product (dominator)

I like the eagletree stuff, been very reliable to me, you need:

E-logger V4
OSD pro
GPS V4
guardian (optional, make return to home a no brainer)
Eagle eye (optinal)

-Hugo

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 3D cam, is poor at night, even with with a powerful headlight.
I use a Futaba 12Z for control, but less expensive units will do as well, such as the 8FG or if you can find a used 9C. I attach a Thomas Scherrer's UHF system on the radio, that give crazy range, like 40-60mi. (PM me if you want a good deal on one ;) and install instructions)

Once you have a UHF, video link become the weakest part. Refrain from using high power video transmitter on the plane. 500mw is enough, focus on the Rx part for more range. Lawmate stuff is the ticket, bit expensive but worth every penny on the long road. Consider circular polarized antennas for best video experience. I developed, my own models of CP antennas, again PM me ;)

The multiplex twinstar is a good model to start, plenty of room for FPV gear and lots of build logs on the net. The skywalker is another good candidate.

My goggle are foxtech AIO (all in one), they feature a build-in head tracker and 2.4ghz-5.8ghz video rx. Fatshark, just released a similar product (dominator)

I like the eagletree stuff, been very reliable to me, you need:

E-logger V4
OSD pro
GPS V4
guardian (optional, make return to home a no brainer)
Eagle eye (optinal)

-Hugo

Thanks, Hugo! PM sent :thumbsup:.

CKOD

Enlightened

Once you have a UHF, video link become the weakest part. Refrain from using high power video transmitter on the plane. 500mw is enough, focus on the Rx part for more range. Lawmate stuff is the ticket, bit expensive but worth every penny on the long road. Consider circular polarized antennas for best video experience.

Good RF link advice there. Going from a 500mW to 2W transmitter nets you a 6 dB increase in signal at the RX, but so does going from a 3db sector/panel antenna to a 9db yagi or the like, with the tracking system that is available for antennas, no reason to not use a high gain antenna. Keep your RF runs short, and use nice connectors and good coax and you can really improve your link. If youre getting really crazy, a good high quality LNA (low noise amp) will help out on the RX end too.

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
I tested the light at 200W for an extended period, topped at 45-46C (30C above ambient)

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice :thumbsup:. And I really like how you've included the sound without wind noise. Awesome. Is this still your twin? It sounds like twin props/motors in the video :).

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's my twin. The mic is inside the fuselage, with motors off I can hear the wind and servos motors/pumps working. Note how you can hear the motors slowing down when I push the light at maximum. :) This flight was with extended wings and 8000mAh onboard. Only end of flight is shown, I was back from a 4km trip north.

-Hugo

simplec6

Enlightened
Once again I will say this is the coolest damn home project i've ever seen on the net.

HugeOne

Newly Enlightened
A dream I been thinking for a while: Above the clouds at night :)
Unfortunately, I overlooked the fact that the lens will be covered with condensation.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's like a childs dream of every man ;). I would really like to know what the people at the ground think when you turn on the lights ;).

rayman

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
"So what is cpf?"

CPF is a community where people make 200w water cooled led lighting system mounted on a remote control scale airplane equipped with night vision in their free time.

"Oh..Ok."

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I'd love to see some video taken from the ground of what it looks like with the light on, near and far. (Your point of view, not the plane's.) Can you see the light in the clouds from the ground?

The parts where you glide with the engines off and pan the camera are especially cool. Is there more than one camera? I thought I saw a straight-down shot pop up in one of your earlier videos.

I'm having fun just watching. I can just imagine how much fun you're having!