Mods for Old 6 Volt Rectangular Base Flashlight

DaveG

Enlightened
The posts are a fixture to the lid of the box ...

The inside of the box has 2 compartments designed to hold either 2x 6v springtops , 1x 6v springtop and some "emergengy" whatnots ...
We also have a 4x D cell holder to fit in the case ...

The website is under construction and my son is currently in Chicago Childrens Hospital ... give us a few days and we'll get the info up ...

Thanks !
dave
That sounds like what I am looking for also.Thanks Dave.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The posts are a fixture to the lid of the box ...

The inside of the box has 2 compartments designed to hold either 2x 6v springtops , 1x 6v springtop and some "emergengy" whatnots ...
We also have a 4x D cell holder to fit in the case ...

The website is under construction and my son is currently in Chicago Childrens Hospital ... give us a few days and we'll get the info up ...
Mr Burgess,

Any update on availability of the battery boxes, or even complete Radar Lites?

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Mr Burgess,

Any update on availability of the battery boxes, or even complete Radar Lites?

Ditto that. I'm looking at hollowing out a MN918 battery once it's drained, but a proper box that I could fit with other cells would be a much nicer solution. A photo of how the cells sit inside would also be nice to see. :)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That SLA battery is interesting, too bad it is NiMh I would be taking it out all the time to charge it. It would probably be worth it if there was one available in Ni-Cad. In the 6 volt lantern lights sometimes you can get away with using a 3 cell krypton Mag bulb. I think I have a 4 cell xenon in mine right now and an Energizer alkaline battery with F cells. I've had it in the vehicle for a long time as an emergency backup light.

poormanq45

Newly Enlightened
Why not go with 2S3P 26650s? That would make the most sense to me and should fit the case.

That would give you 7.4~8.4V and ~12000mAh

Then upgrade the base to a ceramic one and build a ROP!

That would be cool to have 3~4 hours of ROP power!!!

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
Any news on availability of new, old style radar lites ?
I have tried the link in a previous post but it only seems to lead to a lot of not very relevant adverts.

And yes I know that this is a long dormant thread, but saw no point in starting another.

DaveG

Enlightened
I am still looking for that battery box,its just what I need for my old Eveready/Big Jim light.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
That SLA battery is interesting, too bad it is NiMh I would be taking it out all the time to charge it. It would probably be worth it if there was one available in Ni-Cad.

I know this is an old thread. However, SLA is NOT a NiMH battery. SLA = Sealed Lead Acid battery. This SLA lantern battery is really nothing more than a miniature 6V car battery (cars actually had 6V electrical systems 'way back when'). But the acid is either in the form of a gel ('Gel Cell'), or absorbed into fiberglass (AGM, or absorbed glass mat battery). Because the acid is gelled or absorbed, and the battery sealed, the battery can be run in any position without any worry of spilling (unlike a conventional flooded lead acid automotive battery, which can spill of not vertical). Of course, because of the different chemistry and voltage, a NiMH charger won't work. A smart automotive trickle charger with a 6V setting would be the best way to charge this sort of battery.

Speaking of lantern batteries, I've actually seen adaptors that will accommodate four D batteries in order to run a lantern. Such a setup will provide less voltage than a sealed lead acid battery. But it will be able to provide at least as much current as a sealed lead acid (and MUCH more than an alkaline). So it would still work well with a high-power bulb. Also, this setup will have higher capacity than a sealed lead acid battery (8-10AH, depending on the D cells vs 5AH for a sealed lead acid).

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
Any news on the availability of new, old style Burgess radar lites ?
I believe that it was proposed to start production again ?
The link in post 16 now only leads to some not very relevant adverts.

billttmore

Newly Enlightened
Just bought 2 old radar lites in mint condition at salvation army. The battery box converter seems like a great idea I may have to see if I can build one if there are none available...looks like the burgess battery website never quite made it!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a job for a part printer - anyone have one who is up to the challenge? It should be relatively easy to get the dimensions needed from a 918 battery and throw together a CAD drawing. Would be a nice winter project.