Most reliable: Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, or other?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
My gut says Fenix is the most reliable of the listed but all 3 are ok IMHO just based on my actual field experience. If I really really need a light to work aka out in the dank dark woods I pack two. Also think the single mode M61(pick your Ls, tint and LEDs) combined with a SF (G2, G2Z, 6p, C2 etc etc) host using a twisty tail cap is probably the most reliable light possible. Just thinking that cuz there isn't much to go wrong. No clicky to click out. Potted electronics. Simple electronics. I can get easier field access to the bezel than MD2 for an engine change should the crazy unlikely happen and I need to pull it. But is that level of durability and reliability really needed for everyone all the time? Some of these makers off options which are rather compelling. Some of their offering are probably more durable and reliable than others. They make a bunch of models.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably fenix for best quality. I have seen several complaints about olight.
I think the reason people see so many complaints about nitecore is because they sell like 10x more flashlights than their competitors, you can even see just by looking at their product list that they have a ton more variety too.
So it makes sense that more sales = more complaints.

Thats exactly what i was thinking, honestly they are all much the same. I dread to think what your postage costs are in the usa but i have sent three lights to china for replacement or repair, one was a thrunite.... And it did not cost much at all.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 1 thrunite tn36ut about 9 months old. the switch is not reliable. Its start to fail... hopefully i can replace it myself.

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Nitecore EA41 for the last 3yrs, I have used it almost every evening for 5-10mins at a time, sometimes longer and havent had a problem with it so far.. Also a few weeks back I used it as a lantern for a constant 2-3hrs on medium setting because we had a powercut. It makes a great lantern standing upright so the beam bounces of the ceiling.

I have just bought my dad the LED LENSER P14.2 for xmas and I hope that will be as reliable as my EA41

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
The FD41 is a new model and a unique one at that, so it's hard to say what the longevity will be like. It's quite a different design for them.

I will say, my humble layman's opinion here is Fenix quality is pretty good and I've never had any issues with their lights. People, for whatever reason, sometimes have a chip on their shoulder with Fenix, maybe being a more mainstream brand but they are solid lights.

Most common complaints that I see? Nitecore. I've returned two myself.
FD41 is successor to FD40. I have an FD40 and like it. It's not the brightest but you get a perfect wall of light for flood and the zoomed in throw is more akin to a reflector style throw as opposed to the classic zoomie "tunnel".

FD40 has been reliable for me. I use it in flood for a bike light and one time it fell off when I was going pretty fast on the pavement, no change in function, only a few dents and nicks.

As for reliability between the three mentioned manufacturers? I don't have an opinion between Olight and Fenix but definitely put Nitecore last. I've had about 12 each of Nitecore and Olight with zero defective Olights and three defective Nitecores. Not sure how to chalk that up to Nitecore just producing more quantity other than they lose track of QC. However, the luck of the draw is the luck of the draw and you never know when, that one, lemon might show up.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a New Nitecore TM and an Olihjt Jacelot. Both initially had a one time problem where they wouldn't work. I haven't had that problem since. But it was troubling. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Fenix, Nitecore, and Olight are the big 3 of flashlights, similar to Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Am I right?

Im thinking about getting a new flashlight and was looking at a Fenix in hope of not having any reliability issues to worry about. I was thinking something like the Fenix FD41.
I would also consider Eagletac, Sunwayman, Thrunite and others that I am forgetting to be in with that bunch too. That said, I have more Fenix and Nitecore than any others. For me I don't look at what may be the most reliable but that which simply has the features I'm after........then I just take my chances. For the most part, these brands seem reliable considering how many are sold.

Last edited:

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I have many flashlights from Surefire, Fenix, 4Sevens, Eagletac, and OLight among others.

The most reliable have been the Surefires. Second would be the Eagletac and then OLight. I've had issues with a couple of my Fenix lights and with the 4Seven Quark.

Mkduffer

Newly Enlightened
I've several Nitecores (HC20, MT10A), a few Thrunites (TN20..) Olights (S1, S10RII), a few Xtars (H2, WK42), some Klarus, Convoys, etc..

Haven't really had much problems with any of them, but I'm careful not to drop them, use lanyards/leashes with quick disconnects, etc.. The Thrunites are well built, but I can see myself having issues down the road with the TN20. Just basic common sense. When something has more moving parts, it's more likely to have a failure. I also have a few Jetbeams and a Tank007, both twisties. Not my favorite UI, but because of simplicity, I'm not expecting them to fail, and truth be told, if they do, not like they set me back a ton of dough.

Both the HC30 and MT10A rotate into my EDC, in fact, the MT10A is one of the lights that rarely leaves my EDC. Everything that I have from Nitecore has been rock solid. The Olights are nice too, and smaller thinks can be relatively less likely to break.

Recently received the new 2016 Fenix HL10 and I'm really liking it, although the rotating diffuser is bogus. Can hardly notice the difference. Also have a Skilhunt H15. I like it, but it feels somewhat less polished. Not sure that's a bad thing, though.

The only light I've had problems with is a Klarus Mi7 which has ridiculously high parasitic drain. Pretty sure it's a lemon. I'm not a fan of Klarus's warranty service.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I went through several Nitecores, never owned a Fenix yet, and 6-7 Olights. I never killed an Olight until I wanted to see how deep and for how long it could survive in the bottom of an 8 foot swimming pool. the Nitecore went first, then another brand (I can't recall the brand), The Olight lasted for about an hour and didn't actually completely die until the next day. If my life depends on it then Surefire is my light. The tail cap switch on the Olight M3SX-UT feels nicer than Surefire clickies. Surefire better get it in gear and stop charging $1,370 for 2,400 lumens those days are over. (I was a Surefire fanboy). Now all I have are the Titan, Titan Plus, PX2 Fury, PX3 Fury, and weaponlights like the Scout 600 lumen. Surefire could make two lights to knock it out of the park and get people interested in their lights. I know we are a niche client, but a 10,000 iumen flood light and a 2,000 lumen thrower, people would take note.

Well, I actually say you get what you pay for unless it is a Ford, Dodge or Chevy. (The big three doesn't mean they are the best, otherwise Maglight would be in the light category.):)

HEDP

Enlightened
I have many flashlights from Surefire, Fenix, 4Sevens, Eagletac, and OLight among others.

The most reliable have been the Surefires. Second would be the Eagletac and then OLight. I've had issues with a couple of my Fenix lights and with the 4Seven Quark.

What type of issues?

BushcrafterAU

Newly Enlightened
Not really. Fenix, Nitecore, and Olight are more like Kia, Hyundai, and Fiat. Medium quality imported brands that are reliable sometimes. Malkoff, Elzetta, and Surefire would be a better analogy as they are reliable US brands. If you want high quality, reliable offshore brands with good warranty, then I recommend Zebralight or Armytek.

To rate the three you listed from best to worst, I would say Fenix then Olight then Nitecore.

I'm glad you said Olight is more similar to Fiat... you do have to remember that Fiat is the parent company of Ferrari!!

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I can't speak on Fenix because I only owned a PD35TAC for a few months, but I never had an issue. I've owned about 6 Nitecores and have issues with at least half. At least their customer service was good when I sent it into their US location. I've owned closer to 10 Olights and have only had one issue. I really like Olight.

I agree the more expensive lights like the ones mentioned above (Surefire, Malkoff, etc) are generally more reilable, although that has not been 100% true for me. I have both a Malkoff and HDS. I haven't had the Malkoff long, but so far it's great and I haven't seen anyone with issues with Malkoff. The HDS is another story. I've had it for several years, and twice now I've had to send it in for warranty service. The first time I waited for a month to get it back. This time we'll see, I just sent it. I do find it upsetting that a light that I originally paid over $250 for has failed twice.

Edit: I forgot Zebralight somehow! The SC600w HI and SC62 have been 2 of my favorite and most used lights and have always been reliable.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only had Fenix from the list and they have always been crap. I have about four or five E05 that no longer work and some older E models that take 123 also no longer work. Fenix does NOT honor they warranty !!!
The only Fenix that still works is E01 which is a copy design of Arc AAA.