Multi-purpose Aluminum Headlamp Design

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Design concept - Aluminum headlamp

@Vinniec5, the battery could be as simple as a 4 D cell holder such as this (with 10000mAH NiMH cells, run time will 120+ hours on low, 9+ hours on high - about double with alkalines):

a_61a.jpg

Or a 6V sealed lead acid battery. The light will come with a 1.2m. (47in.) long cord with a polarized connector of some kind. A mating connector will be provided for connection to the power pack. Spare cords for connection to chargers will be made available.

@vtunderground, multi-mode is also my preferred choice for the reason you mentioned. It will also eliminate the need for power switch.

Last edited:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion - it will have last mode memory. Latest iteration in lantern configuration (with optional base).

a_61b.jpg

wapkil

Enlightened

I am inclined to go back to my original concept (which I have not mentioned previusly) of using multi-mode (high-mid-low) instead of continuously variable output.

Thanks for the suggestion - it will have last mode memory. Latest iteration in lantern configuration (with optional base).

I think the sequence lo-med-hi could be more popular here on CPF. I know that I would certainly prefer it - in the headlamp I don't mind if I have to click a few times to get to Hi but I would hate to ruin the night vision when it instantly goes full power.

The mode memory would somehow solve the problem with starting on Hi but there are many people who don't like to be forced to remember in which mode they left the light when they used it last time. Others would love to have the mode memory so you may want to check what users in your target market think about it.

You may have hard time deciding what output levels should Lo and Med modes be. With Hi set to maximum you'd have only two modes left to cover 100+ lumen range. I like the way it's solved in ZebraLight H60 with three modes, each with two settings accessible with a double click.

I don't know if you are designing your own driver or planning to buy an existing one. Depending on how much freedom you have, you may want to get a constant current driver (instead of PWM or at least PWM with a sufficiently high frequency), consider single-cell operation (so down to ~2.8V), think about user-programmed modes, etc.

Vinniec5

Enlightened

For connectors I'd recommend POWERPOLE connectorsfor a few reasons;
1) Quality
2) standardized
3) have many adapters already made to connect to chargers and batteries on thier site
Just a suggestion but would make it easier for you

jankj

Enlightened

I think the sequence lo-med-hi could be more popular here on CPF. I know that I would certainly prefer it - in the headlamp I don't mind if I have to click a few times to get to Hi but I would hate to ruin the night vision when it instantly goes full power.

The mode memory would somehow solve the problem with starting on Hi but there are many people who don't like to be forced to remember in which mode they left the light when they used it last time. Others would love to have the mode memory so you may want to check what users in your target market think about it.

+ a very large number for this! I couldn't agree more!

Apart from being well designed and well performing lights, I think the factor I like most of my fenix'es and zebralight H50 is that they ALWAYS start on LOW. Don't destroy more than absolutely necessary of my precious night vision! Need more light? Just double/triple click.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
@vinniec5, I have used the Anderson Powerpole connectors. They are on the list of potential candidates.

@wapkil, jankj, the sequence can be changed to Lo-Mid-Hi. Is mode memory still useful?

Another idea. I notice that most headlamps are located at the front of the headband/helmet. Also, most have adjustment for elevation but not azimuth. How about a gimballed mount that can be used on the left, right or top and can be adjusted in both axis, then locked in any position with a single knob? This configuration will also eliminate any clearance issues for the switch on the rear of the light. In fact, this style of mount can be used with a normal flashlight if an external power pack is not required/desired.

a_61c.jpg

wapkil

Enlightened
@wapkil, jankj, the sequence can be changed to Lo-Mid-Hi. Is mode memory still useful?

As I wrote before, there are different opinions on that. For me the mode memory is not only useless but really inconvenient. When I turn on the light I want it to start on Lo, no matter what was the mode when I last time turned it off.

I can imagine that for someone who constantly switches the light on and off the mode memory may be useful. For me it's only annoying because it frequently makes it impossible to guess in what mode the light will start.

The obvious solution is to offer users the option to turn the memory off (like e.g. in the Liteflux lights).

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
I really like the design,

also having a POT to vary the output is a great idea as sometimes you want something inbetween low/medium/high.

dom

Enlightened
The gimbal looks like a great idea -though not needed on a headlamp as you move your head instead.

Would be fantastic for a bike light though - wish i had of thought of that when making bike light mounts myself.

Would it be out of the question to make a MC-E/P7 version? Maybe you could fin the head to handle the extra heat? I am spoiled with the extra light the big emitters put out.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
rmteo how's this project coming along? any ideas if/when it might be built. just wondering haven't seen any updates to this thread in a cpl weeks THX

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are focussing on the C and D cell lights for now as it represents the largest market - to be followed by the 18650 (2x CR123A). We will revisit the headlamp after that.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should give you some idea. From the top is 2D, 2C, 18650 (or 2x CR123A) with a SF 6PL thrown in for size comparison. All versions have the same features, multi-mode, focus/zoom capability and 180+ lumens. They will be manufactured in the USA with projected MSRP's of around $100. None are available yet but as I alluded to earlier, the 2D and 2C will be released first. Options will include tail-standing switch caps and tactical/crenellated bezels.

a_63u.jpg

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
looks to be coming along nicely.:naughty:

I might be in the minority, but like the original mount better. If the gimball mount were optional accessory it would be nice, but simple is usually better (cheaper), and providing fewer points of potential failure.

Good work either way!

Latest posts