My 2009 Surefire LX2

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but the L2 used a resistor to "trigger" the low mode instead of using the resistor itself to drop off current a la Mc2ES

I just tried a 50 ohm and a 25 ohm resistor to trigger the low mode on my LX2. I did not see a difference in output betwwen the two.
I would say that the lower voltage is the trigger for low mode in the head.

MSI

Enlightened
Seeing the difference in regulation between LX2 and E2DL I'm starting to wonder if the head on LX2 and LX1 will be the same, like E1L and E2L was back when they both used KL1. Can you test if it will run on a single cell?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Seeing the difference in regulation between LX2 and E2DL I'm starting to wonder if the head on LX2 and LX1 will be the same, like E1L and E2L was back when they both used KL1. Can you test if it will run on a single cell?
Now that's an excellent question!
Exploring whether the LX2 and LX1 bezels could be the same is exactly what makes being part of the CPF community interesting.

If the LX1 and LX2 bezels are the same, and if the A2L body is the same as the LX2 body then does this mean the A2L bezel could also operate fine on the LX1 body? :thinking:

Al :popcorn:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 has two separate drive circuits activated by the resistored tail cap , unfortunately, I don't know the specifics

Size15's

Flashaholic
How does the current flow to the "head"? Through the resistor, no?
The point is that the TailCap's resistor is not the only thing that the juice flows through when in low output mode. The electronics sense the resistance and switch the juice to the low output mode electronics rather than the high output mode electronics.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
Chao, great review! :twothumbs Do you use a fan for your run time graphs like Selfbuilt does? If you don't use a fan that may explain why the output drops off for about 35 minutes until it apparently reaches thermal equilibrium ... Of course, using a fan or not using a fan is an interesting question in of itself. Realistically, I'm not going to carry a fan with me when I use my light! However, I tend to use my light for only a few minutes at a time, which keeps the flashlight from getting warm. If it didn't take so long, it would be interesting to measure the run time with and without a fan.

I love my LX2! I've been carrying it daily since July 1st when I received it in the mail. It's brighter than all my 2 cell single LED lights including my MD2-M60 (using two primaries) but NOT my MD2-M30 using one AW18650. The pocket clip makes it really convenient to carry bezel down and to deploy.

Chao

Enlightened

I thought same thing and I tried, the LX2 head can not be powered by one CR123A battery!

Chao, great review! :twothumbs Do you use a fan for your run time graphs like Selfbuilt does? If you don't use a fan that may explain why the output drops off for about 35 minutes until it apparently reaches thermal equilibrium ...

No,I didn't use fan for the runtime test.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Guys, I am still not sure that the resistor in the tailcap is not the only means of causing the low level output, and that there is no low mode in the electronics in the head. Chao has used it with his other E series LED lights and it allows them to have a low level, though his KL4 seems to show a fairly high output low when used with the KX2 tailswitch, which would indicate a very low value resistor, such as 10 Ohms or so.

If the resistor in the KX2 is just a trigger, then it would be just a coinsidence that it will allow other E series LED lights to have a low mode, I would guess.

Bill

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I wonder............................
thinking.gif

If you put the LX2 head on a regular E series body and tail and run it that way will there be a point where voltage drops and it enters/triggers the low mode?
Or would the brightness diminish at a rate that you would not notice that its gone into low mode?

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is a fundamental difference between the electronics of the LX2 bezel and that of other bezels such as the KX2, KL4 etc.
The two-stage pressure switch has a resistor that the LX2 bezel senses as a signal to route power through the low output electronics.

No other bezels feature this sensing capability and would simply run (if they run at all) at a reduced output with the resistor acting as a throttle on the output.

carfreak222

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I'm new here, I was interested in what site you ordered this from Chao? Great review!