My antique electric lantern and flashlight collection (many pics)

captain smiley

Newly Enlightened
I would think it's a tapped coil, it's hard to make out what the label says but I will see later on If I can take it off for a better look, I find it interesting that the instructions inside of the lantern say to charge with direct current only, this was probably made during what is commonly referred to as the war of the currents, between edison's DC and tesla's AC.

I posted a video on how to repair a cutler hammer switch here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/215703

if anyone is interested.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
captain smiley said:
I would think it's a tapped coil.
Ahh, that brings back memories.

Resistive regulators often did take the form of an open coil of wire, rather like a toaster element. The nice thing about these is that you will probably find the regulator in perfect working order, even today.

Thinking about it, it would, apart from dimming, serve a second purpose - to compensate for the level of charge of the battery. More resistance can be added when the battery is just off the charger and less as it discharges. Just like the rheostats were used in a 1920s battery radio, with all those UX201A tubes.

And in the 1920s and 1930s, Hornby were big on studded regulators of this pattern for their electric train sets and Meccano motor control.

I'll stop typing now or I'll talk myself into wanting one myself...

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
To put my own old lanterns in perspective, here is a wooden lantern:

Note that I have no idea what the original battery for this would have looked like.

Something like a - no, I won't lead the witness with my guess.
Update - pic to follow - I have just bought a near-mint example of the exact same model from eBay...

...with battery!:party:

The battery (pic to follow) is 3 E-cells in series, which confirms the bulb to indeed be a #13

The battery itself is a work of art - the shell is made of cardboard with a black leatherette-style finish, anf the top is sealed with shiny black wax? gutta percha? glassy looking stuff. Flat brass-strips lie on the back of the battery for terminals.

Oddly, the battery is not labelled with a model number, and the plus and minus terminals are also not labelled.

Having 3 x E cells for 4.5V nominal, it is clearly the same cell configuration as the better-known and longer surviving Eveready 126, but with brass strip rather than screw terminals, and a more compact size.

Lastly, the paper label has "2 3 45" perforated into it, suggesting either a manufactured or "use by / best before" date of 2nd March 1945. BHut I'm only guessing about that. Brand is "Victor".

Oh, and back to the near-mint lantern - I put a 3-cell battery carrier inside it, switched on, and - how's this for impressive - that 90-year-old light shone brightly, for the first time in (no exaggeration) 50 years!

No DeOxit or switch cleaner needed, just ready to roll.

(Next project is to mock up a new 3E battery with rechargeable cells, now I have a pattern.)

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow, very cool !

:cool:

I wonder if yer' "Victor" battery

is shorthand for "RCA Victor" ?

In the mid-1960's, we got an RCA

tape recorder for Christmas.

I can still recall that it came with 4 "C" cells,

branded as "RCA Victor".

Had never seen such named cells, either before or since.

Just a thought.

Enjoy yer' new light !

:wave:

_

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update - pic to follow - I have just bought a near-mint example of the exact same model from eBay...

...with battery!:party:

The battery (pic to follow) is 3 E-cells in series, which confirms the bulb to indeed be a #13

The battery itself is a work of art - the shell is made of cardboard with a black leatherette-style finish, anf the top is sealed with shiny black wax? gutta percha? glassy looking stuff. Flat brass-strips lie on the back of the battery for terminals.

Oddly, the battery is not labelled with a model number, and the plus and minus terminals are also not labelled.

Having 3 x E cells for 4.5V nominal, it is clearly the same cell configuration as the better-known and longer surviving Eveready 126, but with brass strip rather than screw terminals, and a more compact size.

Lastly, the paper label has "2 3 45" perforated into it, suggesting either a manufactured or "use by / best before" date of 2nd March 1945. BHut I'm only guessing about that. Brand is "Victor".

Oh, and back to the near-mint lantern - I put a 3-cell battery carrier inside it, switched on, and - how's this for impressive - that 90-year-old light shone brightly, for the first time in (no exaggeration) 50 years!

No DeOxit or switch cleaner needed, just ready to roll.

(Next project is to mock up a new 3E battery with rechargeable cells, now I have a pattern.)
Close-up of near-mint lantern:
ScanImage200a.jpg

Tha nameplate:
ScanImage200b-1.jpg

Both lanterns with the battery:
ScanImage176a-1.jpg

Switched on!
ScanImage177a-1.jpg

Showing the 3E battery with the more familiar 3B battery:
ScanImage193a-1.jpg

Back view:
ScanImage195a-1.jpg

Scan of label:
img002.jpg

Last edited:

captain smiley

Newly Enlightened
It appears that the tags on your new one are made of aluminum, real nice find. If I were you I would consider making a replica battery pack that could be reloaded with a common pack or cells. You could make a scan of your original label and make a wood of perhaps stiff cardboard case with a hidden opening where you could gain access to a battery holder mounted inside. Copper sheet available from most hardware or craft supply shops to make contacts.

captain smiley

Newly Enlightened
I have powered them on d cells, I intend to install a battery holder which I will make to fit in the lantern, based on how many cells I can manage to cram in there I will probably order the brightest incan I can find and mod it so it has a duel contact bayonet base and will fit the original socket. As for batteries I was thinking lithium ion c cells as I suspect I will be able to fit more of them than d cells for higher voltage without loosing too much run time.

but right now I've had to put my lanterns on the back burner as I am currently moving:(

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Four D cells will fit in the space occupied by a #6.

Eveready's dimensions were:

No.6 - 2 5/8" diameter x 6 5/8" high, including terminasl
D cell - 1 5/16" diameter (exactly half!) x 2 35/64" high.
C cell - 1" diameter x 1 63/64" high

I reckon, if my rusty triangle-inscribed-in-a-circle triginometry is any guide, that no less than nine C cells will fit in the space occupied by one #6.

That's 10.8 volts (or 13.5 nominal). Double that for the pair.

You ought to find a 24-volt truck bulb with a suitable bayonet base.

captain smiley

Newly Enlightened
that's about right except you have to factor in space taken by the battery holder, one has to be made to take up very little space, I know in the "style No.6" grethers that two d cells will barley fit, I will need to get some thin-walled plastic of copper tubes to make a holder for them. with that kind of power I might use a two way switch to change batteries and that way I can use a 12v auto bulb and get double the run time out of the lantern. I was thinking of getting a halogen or xenon auto bulb for it too, they are nice and common so I wont need to order any bulbs.

for looks I did this to my lantern
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo16kp5.jpg
Taking a dcbb base and soldering in a mini screw base in a nice way to light these off a couple batteries to show people, it also makes a nice light to find your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night ;)

hansen

Newly Enlightened
I have one very similar to yours. I was hoping to post a pic of it and maybe you could tell me about it?
097.jpg

captain smiley

Newly Enlightened
I have one very similar to yours. I was hoping to post a pic of it and maybe you could tell me about it?
097.jpg

It looks like an old delta, however this lantern was made by a number of makers during wwII I have seen them marked "NU BEACON ELECTRIC" and I know there were a couple other companies who made them during the war, but cant remember any more names right now, the paint looks pretty good on it, they used a molded 3/16" thick plastic lens which had grooves in the edges to make a better seal with the flat round washers that made the lamp water resistant, a piece of glass will work as well and can be cut at any good glass shop for around 5 to 7 dollars depending on size and thickness, as for the reflector, it was of spun brass or copper and had a nickel plate, if this is missing you will need to cannibalize another light for one, keep an eye out at swap meets and garage sales for a cheap light with a reflector which can be made to fit. your light seems to have the water proof switch, standards at the time required them to be able to be submerged in up to 3 ft of water, I have seen many though that had the toggle switch exposed, it is unclear why this is. if you have a socket in the bottom if means that there was a relay switch in the lamp which was connected to the ships electrical system, if the power went off the lamps went on, this was a feature of the later models, I'm not sure what the device next to it is but it appears in the pic to have a hinge, so perhaps some pics of it open might solve the mystery, are there any names or markings on the device, post any questions here, I haven't had internet for a while so sorry for the slow reply.

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
097.jpg

It looks like it may be a Delta Navy lantern from about 1940. Is this your light?

http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Delt...Dry-Cells-1940

If you have a few minutes (or hours), take a look around this excellent site called the "Flashlight Museum". What a wealth of information on vintage lights!