My Extreme Fenix TK40 Torture Test.

thedeske

Enlightened
Unfortunately I can't lock out my TK40. I have to loosen the cap or the tail to the point it is almost falling off in order for it not to light when I turn it on. In that state it won't fit in the box and left in a drawer the cap or tail are bound to fall off. :confused:

My plans for owing a TK40 include 16 Eneloops. No need to fuss over drain, just pop in the B set and charge the A set. If I need power away from home, a cheap 4 pack will do in a pinch. The drain issue (if it is an issue) seems overblown.

bodhran

Enlightened
I don't always bother with locking out my Tk40. I do put it on the low setting when I put it in my bag. It has come on while in the bag from being bumped or whatever, but I have never found it close to being hot, and with the runtime on low, I haven't been caught with dead batteries. I don't know if this is a bad idea, but it works for me.

Bushman5

Enlightened
I would like to see a TK40 (or TA21, TA30, TK11 etc) clipped to a braided fishing line, turned on and lowered straight down to 10, 20, 50, 70, 100 feet etc etc (preferable clear water so we can get great pics of the beam!

:twothumbs:twothumbs

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I can't lock out my TK40. I have to loosen the cap or the tail to the point it is almost falling off in order for it not to light when I turn it on. In that state it won't fit in the box and left in a drawer the cap or tail are bound to fall off. :confused:

there is something you can do to make a Spring have less throw, without altering anything permanentaly.
the back spring, on the cap to the carrier has what? 1/2" of total throw? and you NEED only say 1/4 " of total throw on the spring, to make a good connection still.
so you use a spring tightener.
i saw it used once on a Automobile, where they wanted the full force of the spring, but they never wanted the spring to go Loose, and extend its full distance.
they put some metal wrap or clip on the spring that binds the spring, only from going to a full extention, still allowing it to freely move within the wrap.
so, making sure you dont make any contact , to where it isnt supposed to go, you wrap a copper wire around say 4 coil lengths of the spring, leaving the top and/or bottom coil alone, and twist it down, like a bread twist tie, till the spring is the maximum desired height, then clip off the excess, then test it really well and over and over again, to insure it doesnt make any undesirable contact on the battery holder or light anywhere.
spring still moves, its shorter but you didnt cut anything, it will have the same strength within its now restricted movement, and the copper will bend and flex a few times without breaking and still keep contact if it gets in between the spring and the holder.
then after perfecting the spring throw ammount, and still insuring a good spring contact, far less twists will be needed to do a quick lockout.
if you go to sell it, just cut the "clip" off, and it is back to normal.

this works on excessive spring lengths on mags too, so you can get the threads started easier.

with the lockout you can stop any parasitic draw, but of course the disclaimer of taking the batts out of the holder (long time unused) might still apply, as they are in parellel with the other batteries when in the holder anyways.

Last edited:

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
I havent been a member long so I was surprised to see so many Aussies on this thread especially since Fenix arent readily available here. So not to hijack the thread at all I was wondering if those locally found the TK40 a good replacement for spotlighting. The larger conventional type I have with halogen lamp only lasts 15mins or so before it needs recharging and was wanting a more protable replacement.

thedeske

Enlightened
I havent been a member long so I was surprised to see so many Aussies on this thread especially since Fenix arent readily available here. So not to hijack the thread at all I was wondering if those locally found the TK40 a good replacement for spotlighting. The larger conventional type I have with halogen lamp only lasts 15mins or so before it needs recharging and was wanting a more protable replacement.

Off topic for this thread, but the 40 is more of a flood for exploring by design.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I am really impressed with your capabilities to torture the TK40 like that. It did answered alot of questions that people had about the TK40, or in relation to the TK series, even questions that I've thought about..

I do wish that you had found it...

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
The profile of the TK40 is actually a nice transition from flood to a fair amount of spot/throw. It is ideal when you are out in a large open area. Try it in the woods or across fields - here it really shines and it was designed for this kind of use :)

brigadeer

Newly Enlightened
The profile of the TK40 is actually a nice transition from flood to a fair amount of spot/throw. It is ideal when you are out in a large open area. Try it in the woods or across fields - here it really shines and it was designed for this kind of use :)

I agree. I took mine out the other evening while walking my dog. We have a very large cornfield that runs up to our neighborhood.

I made sure to get away from any light pollution from the neighborhood and then turned that sucker on. I was amazed at how bright the light was. Not only did it light up whatever I pointed it at like a Christmas tree, but the flood was amazing as well. It probably lit up a good 30 yards wide as well.

I really love this light!

gsxrac

Enlightened
We need Aussiebob to do some more testing! Somebody send him an Ra Clicky and Twisty :popcorn:

325addict

Enlightened
This extreme test is, once again, a confirmation that Fenix offers some very sturdy lights. I now have four of them (LD01, LD01SS, P1D, P3D) and they all are like new, although the LD01 has been my true EDC for a while.
The P1D was my very first "serious" flashlight, it has seen some use already, but is indistinguishable from new :twothumbs

The finish is much more durable than, for instance, Wolf Eyes....

@ Brigadeer: you loved this one for use in the woods? Then I'm curious what you think of a Wolf Eyes M90 Rattlesnake in 13V setup... this is an INCAN light, and has a way better color rendition than the cold, blue-white light of an MC-E LED used in the TK40...
The M90 has an extremely useful beam for in the woods, a bright hot spot with a very bright spill...

Timmo.

Last edited:

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
Hang it from a bridge at bumper height using lightweight string. Now get your car going 60mph and hit it. Make sure the car is a Buick. Now you can say this light got hit by a Buick going a mile a minute.

:hitit:
:crackup:

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
I was going threw a rather large mud hole when i heard the line snap.
I got out and had a look, it was gone, i spent about half an hour looking for the bloody thing, poking the mud with sticks, but gave up and went home.
If anybody wants to find it, its at 32* 51' 52.30 S 151* 42' 44.23 E , on Ramsar Rd, Ash Island, NSW.

If I owned Fenix, I believe I'd send you 2 brand new TK40s: one for testing and another to put on the shelf. Companies pay for torture testing like this.

By the way, is the correct location shown here?

Last edited:

someuser

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for digging up an older tread...

After reading the report on the tests I just can't believe that the TK 40 can take such an abuse.

I just got to give my thanks to you aussiebob for donating a TK 40 for these tests.

Just know how MUCH the TK 40 can makes me feel a lot better knowing that's the light I gave to the family to use.

Thanks again and great work.:clap:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Somehow I missed this thread the first time around.

Gave away a couple of Fenix lights this year. I think I might just add a new one to the collection. :grin2:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Somehow I missed this thread the first time around.

I somehow missed this thread also but it's one of the most complete beatings I've ever seen inflicted on a poor little flashlight. Outstanding destruction type testing and the only thing that could have made it better would have been to still have the light. At least you got some good pictures of it.

Arnulf

Enlightened
You forgot the beat bad guy over the head test? :D j/k

Awesome test....that is one tuff flashlight! :thumbsup: