My in-laws both need keychain lights!

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
After helping them the other night with finding what was wrong with the car. I see the need to get them both a light. And Christmas is coming so a little extra gift would be good.

They are both 80+ so light must be simple.
Make it three I will get one for my dad who is over 90!

Keychain light so AAA size seems good.
I would think intermittent use so L92 would interesting.. I just got burned by leaking batteries in two lights.
Operation has to be simple.
Price limit $50 but would like it less.

From reading other threads the ThruNite Ti looks right but I bet it will not like the L92

Bob

Dubois

Enlightened
Why not get the "buddle" ie bundle, of 5 Ti's currently on offer for $45 shipped. Easy to use - just twist head for low (3 lumen on offer), twist a bit more for 60 lumen high, which is plenty of light.
I don't see why they won't take a L92 - that's a lithium primary with the same voltage as an alkaline (1.5), and shouldn't be confused with a 4.2v rechargeable.
I've got a "buddle" on the way, and already have the energizer L92's ready to gift to five lucky people.

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
In reading the documentation from the flashlight makers they do not list the L92 but maybe that is just because it is "exotic". I saw the "buddle" and though that was a good idea. But who gets what color :thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Not sure about colors in the buddle, I read somewhere in the Marketplace that Thrunite only had black ones left and then further down, they said that everyone would get one of each color or something. Very confusing.

As for the L92 battery, the light should be fine. From what I recall, most lights work best with the Lithium primary AA or AAA batteries, except rechargeables are cheaper in the long run.

Dubois

Enlightened
Yes, Thrunite's response was confusing, but I'm pretty sure the "buddle" consists of one of each colour. The black confusion related to the very low firefly model, which is only available in black, but which is now out of stock. You should get 3 lumen lows, in gold, red, blue, green and black.

NCF8710

Newly Enlightened
Check out the iTP A3 EOS upgraded version. Less than $20. This is a AAA light with three well spaced output levels with a max of 96 lumens. I also use an L92 lithium cell in it. It starts at the low level which I use over 90% of the time. It is a keychain light afterall. I agree with your concern about using alkaline cells. That's how I destroyed my Maglite Solitaire.

STR

Newly Enlightened
I suggest the Peak El Capitan with the keyring option and medium beam profile. I own this light and could not be happier with it. The same batteries last much much longer using this light compared to my other single AA lights. The complete control of the brightness is why I think. Its a great little light for the pocket or key ring and probably the best I've handled. :thumbsup: Oh and I should add that I may not feel this way if I were just using Alkalines or should I say alkaleaks as someone else put it earlier around here?;) The light is not really appreciated unless you are using the 14500 3.7v batteries and then you really really like what this light is all about. If I were giving a key ring light that used store bought batteries I'd give an EagleTac D25A twisty to them. Grreat lights these especially the ones with the XML-U2 LED in them.

Last edited:

Kamerat

Enlightened
I have a Thrunite Ti in my pocket right now with an L92 and it runs great.

Yes, mine runs great as well. However, when it's turned off and I push the head a little to the side (not twisting) it turns on. I'm afraid that it will turn on automatically in my pocket - experiences??. Except from that, it's serving its purpose as being reliable and always around.

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
However, when it's turned off and I push the head a little to the side (not twisting) it turns on.

Mine only does that if I don't twist it far enough to the "off" position. I can also push the head straight back toward the battery and get the same result. Twisting an extra 1/8-1/4 turn in the off direction seems to remedy that. I only have 1 Ti though so YMMV.

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the bundle of five Thrunite Ti..

Thanks all for the help. ....oh better get some more L92's

Bob

Kamerat

Enlightened
Mine only does that if I don't twist it far enough to the "off" position. I can also push the head straight back toward the battery and get the same result. Twisting an extra 1/8-1/4 turn in the off direction seems to remedy that. I only have 1 Ti though so YMMV.

Yes, and I've gotten used to twisting it off far enough now. Works perfect!