My New Green Laser

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share with you all my new toy! Here are the specs:

Brand: Optotronics
Model: RPL-425
Wavelength: 532nm
Beam Diameter: 1.47mm (measured ~25mm from aperture)
Divergence: 0.905 mrad (full angle measured 30' from aperture)
Beam Roundness: >93%
Peak Output: 511 mW
Average Output: 442 mW

rpl1.jpg

rpl2.jpg

Looks like a lightsabre in this shot (a 3x beam expander is attached):

rpl3.jpg

Here's an indoor shot in broad daylight.....beam is VERY visible. At night, the beam can easily hit the clouds and beyond with the beam expander. No nighttime pics at the moment...sorry!

rpl4.jpg

Enjoy!

:thumbsup: WP

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
DONALD! :wave:

Cool new toy... I rarely visit the laser forums, but saw a familiar name on the main CPF page, so thought I'd check it out. :cool:

Your photography skills are some of the best on CPF - I've always said that you could take a picture of a $1 gas station light and make it look like something I need to buy ASAP! :laughing:

Where did you get this sucker from?

:) john

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing: Thanks, John. You make me blush, but my pics aren't much different than others....its just different lighting I suppose.... Good to hear from you!

I visit CPF every now and then....but not nearly enough. I'm glad to see you are still very active here. I'm into other things now (lasers included), which unfortunately, can be just as expensive as flashlights...

This particular laser I bought directly from Optotronics, a US based company. These guys are exceptional and one of the best run companies on the Internet. And their lasers are always over-spec, so you are guaranteed a top performing product. If you are ever in the market, I would highly recommend these guys...

Take care, John. Talk to you later!

Donald

DONALD! :wave:

Cool new toy... I rarely visit the laser forums, but saw a familiar name on the main CPF page, so thought I'd check it out. :cool:

Your photography skills are some of the best on CPF - I've always said that you could take a picture of a $1 gas station light and make it look like something I need to buy ASAP! :laughing:

Where did you get this sucker from?

jch79

Hooo dawgy, I just looked those lasers up - that's some serious photon action! :eek:oo:

So can we see a nighttime shot? :poke:

tdurand

Enlightened
Is that Call Of Duty back there?

Nice to see you posting again Donald BTW
Excellent photos as always.

I'd like to see shots with and without the beam expander dealio.

T

jch79

Tyler,
AFAIK, Donald's first picture is of the laser w/o the beam expander... the second picture is it with the Melles Griot beam expander. I think? :shrug:
:wave: john

tdurand

Enlightened
Tyler,
AFAIK, Donald's first picture is of the laser w/o the beam expander... the second picture is it with the Melles Griot beam expander. I think? :shrug:
:wave: john

Oh yeah. I see that, I should clarify, I meant comparitive beamshots with and without the expander. So I can justify getting one for myself. :grin2:

If anyone can capture the difference using photographic skills, it's gotta be Donald.

T

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh.....I see that you all caught a glimpse of my MAN-ROOM.

Yes, indeeed....that is Call of Duty for my PS3.

I'll see what I can do on the beamshots. I wanted to do a nighttime shot into the clouds overhead, but it has been raining the past few days. Also, setting up the shot represents a few challenges. Although I have a wide-angle lens, I still have to step back a few dozen yards to take the shot in so that you can see the entire beam from the aperture to the spot on the clouds. Also want to take a nice long exposure and draw out my name on the clouds .....that would be coool! :thumbsup:

A shot like this may require the laser be activated for a few minutes. This is not a problem for the laser because it has a near 100% duty cycle. The problem lies with the planes flying above.....I have to be extra careful that the skies are clear of aircraft....which does not afford me much time for a good shot, as there are two airports within 30 miles from me. Also, I don't want to draw too much attention from the local police. Although I won't be breaking any laws, they would definitely be curious as the beam is extremely visible and can be a distraction for motorists in the city.

So, in short, unlike flashlights, lasers require extra precautions when handling and getting beamshots. But I'll do my best!!! Just wish the weather would cooperate!

Donald

EDIT: see post #13 below. I won't be doing outdoor beamshots due to forum rules...

Is that Call Of Duty back there?

Nice to see you posting again Donald BTW
Excellent photos as always.

I'd like to see shots with and without the beam expander dealio.

T

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does a beam expander work?

The beam expander is an optic that modifies the laser beam properties. As the name implies, it expands the beam's diameter. The drawback is that the beam is thicker.....so for my laser, the beam starts off at 1.47mm diameter at the aperture, but increases to a little more than 4mm with the beam expander. The widening of the beam's diameter is a necessary consequence in order to reduce the beam's divergence (measures how big the beam diameter grows over distance.....as you know, all laser beams are cone shaped). In my case, my beam expander cuts my laser's divergence by a third. So, without the beam expander, the divergence is 0.905 mrad....but with the expander, the divergence shrinks to 0.3 mrad. The net effect is, the range of my laser is increased by 300%. So, although my beam is 4mm wide at aperture, it stays around 4mm at very large distances, whereas without the beam expander, the beam would be significantly wider at the same large distances (despite being very thin at aperture). I hope this makes sense...... :shrug:

The beam expander is also focusable, so that I can focus the beam to a tiny point at say 20 feet away and thus enhance the "burning power" if you will. I can pop dark balloons at 50 yards away with my laser....quite easily.

Another drawback, albeit minor, is that transmittance of the expander's optic is about 96%, so I lose a little bit of power (my 442 mW become 420 mW), but you won't be able to tell the difference.

I hope this explains everything. There are many expanders out there that would expand the beam 3x, 10x, 20x and even 30x. I'm looking to buy a 20x expander at the moment..... :devil: :shakehead :ohgeez:

Donald

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, guys.....

I just re-read the forum rules and I am not allowed to post pictures of beam shots outdoors as my laser is slightly above the threshold of 5 mW. So I won't be doing it.

However, I am going to do some comparison shots INDOORS, which is allowed. I do have another green laser from Optotronics that is 154 mW that I can throw in the comparison photos. I also have a 125 mW blu-ray laser and a 250 mW red laser I might as well toss in there as well. Should make for an interesting shootout.....

I'll see if I can make the time. Got little kids running around the house.... so it won't be easy to safely do this. Might have to put a lock on my MAN-ROOM door before doing this......been thinking about a lock for a while now...

Donald

comozo

Enlightened
Sorry, guys.....

I just re-read the forum rules and I am not allowed to post pictures of beam shots outdoors as my laser is slightly above the threshold of 5 mW. So I won't be doing it.

However, I am going to do some comparison shots INDOORS, which is allowed. I do have another green laser from Optotronics that is 154 mW that I can throw in the comparison photos. I also have a 125 mW blu-ray laser and a 250 mW red laser I might as well toss in there as well. Should make for an interesting shootout.....

I'll see if I can make the time. Got little kids running around the house.... so it won't be easy to safely do this. Might have to put a lock on my MAN-ROOM door before doing this......been thinking about a lock for a while now...

Donald

There are a mulitude of laser beam photos showing the beam indoors. Frankly they all look the same and are as interesting as a balloon pop. It you want to impress upon us the impressivness of this new toy then you must do it outside on distant objects. Only then will we truely learn to appreciate the magnificents of this new toy.
I beleive you've already posted on that other laser forum. There they do allow outside photos. Distances should be included.
Perhaps it wasn't you after all.
You can find the other 500mw green laser at Laser Pointer Forums with outside beam shots under the category Reviews

comozo

Enlightened
I'll figure something out, guys and let you know..... :)

Here's what I had in mind for how you should demonstrate this laser with and with out using the expander
Here's a demonstration of the Deft led flashlight. Showing its throw capabilties
I believe is against policy to post forum links, but you can find it using this link

http://www.google.com/search?client...l=en&q=deft+led+flashlight&btnG=Google+Search

Or by a Google keyword search Deft led flashlight or specifically using
The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 2)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Congratulations Wave Particle!!!! :twothumbs

Imo, that is the nicest set-up that anyone could possibly own in the world of portable greenies. I do respect the Laserglow's larger model with active cooling but frankly I think it's overkill unless you're doing experiements in a classroom setting. I prefer the size, battery type, and overall value of Jack's lasers much more. I'm a little jealous...lol, but props to you man! That's so cool. :cool:

karlo

Newly Enlightened
Wow this is really awesome I like the green point light. Very nice one! Is that a laser that burn?