My Quick Fenix E01 Review

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you! Looks like the E01 is brighter for 2/3 the batt life. I`m surprised to see the Arc drop so quickly in the first 20 minutes. Anyway looks like it failed to make the 11 hour bright burn on alkiline. Still, pretty good.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've had that meter for so long, I don't recall where I got it. I'll check for my online receipts and let you know if I can find it. It's a data logging type device. Set it, forget it either plugged into the laptop or standalone and dump the data to the laptop at some other time.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless Arc (or whatever name you want to use) has a change in heart, we'll never see it. That's why there have been many lights to catch-up with the nitch that Arc used to hold.

Anyway, I agree that it's a good thing the LED is sunken deep vs. sticking out the front end. I've been doing comparision "useage" type stuff in a dark room, comparing my E01 with the Arc. Each one of these E01's that I have are less-blue in the hotspot than what the Arc is. I'll tell ya, it was really nice being about to tailstand the E01 when I wanted to. The only way I get than in my Arc is when I use my Peak pocket tube.

One of my initial concerns with because the LED was set so deeply, the sidespill suffered while doing wall-hunting. In real world useage, it doesn't seem as noticable, if at all. Just like how I thought the SF E1B would cause an issue with it's narrower beam, that turned out to be OK when you actually use the light.

I also like the fact the E01 has a couple flat areas on the side of the battery tube. It makes "mouth holding" useage much easier. I'm still trying to get use to the fact the E01 feels "fatter" when I'm holding it. It should be no surprise, since it is.

Very well put,
After 6 years of using the same regulator, folks asking for tail standing (Arc AA 2003 vintage) the Arc AAA XLR treads, $10 to $15 surcharges for a 50 cent premium LED and questions about flatter regulation, the GS LED sticking out past the bezel disaster... it would be unreasonable to think that the rest of the world would leave the niche alone.
One could hope that Arc (or whatever they are now) would respond by upgrading the LED, upgrading the regulator and maybe a high/low system to justify the cost of the premium model. They can do it, I have faith that they can. But will they?
The big question is can they afford not to? These are interesting times that we live in... the gauntlet has been thrown...will it be picked up by the thrower?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nicely done, Ray - thanks.

I'm confused by your statement, though:
It's pretty obvious that Arc has a much better moon mode, at the Scarface of normal regulated runtime.
It seems to me like the E01 is brighter than the Arc (and stays that way longer) while the curve falls in moon mode.
What are you defining as "better"? I guess would be the short question. Thanks.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Nicely done, Ray - thanks.

I'm confused by your statement, though:
It seems to me like the E01 is brighter than the Arc (and stays that way longer) while the curve falls in moon mode.
What are you defining as "better"? I guess would be the short question. Thanks.

What I'm trying to say (and I'll re-read the data to make sure I'm correct) is that during the normal regulated period of both lights, the E01 is the absolute clear winner. No one can debate that. For the 1st 2.5 hours or so, the Arc is brighter. That too is pretty clear. However from the 2.5 hour to the 8.5 hour mark, the E01 has it all over the Arc, quite noticably. OK, now I see what you're saying. On the graphs, you can see the Arc drops into moon mode rather drastically, whereas the E01 take quite a bit longer to drop down in output, before flattening again to dim light. It looks like it does that (drops) over the course of an hour or so, whereas the Arc drops in a matter of minutes. Now that I think about it, I like the way the E01 does that, by dropping over the course of that hour. It's almost like an on-board "low battery indicator". Whereas the Arc goes from bright to moon mode almost immediately, the Fenix starts dropping over the course of an hour, giving you an indication that you'll still have some good light for a bit, but you better plan on replacing the batter soon.

m13a8

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of these on order, I can't wait until they arrive!! These look like they'd make great gifts!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still don`t get the moon mode comments...in the last chart the Arc goes totaly in to moon mode at 60...and becomes useless at 120. So a spread of 60.

The E01...lets call it totally in moon mode at 280...and goes to 380 before useless...a spead of 100.

What am I missing? Isn`t the E01`s "in complete moon mode" 40% longer for all practical purposes?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
In the Edit #2 chart, the E01 starts coming out of regulation at ~201 to ~301/321. The Arc at ~341 to ~361. What I'm trying to say is the E01 seems to have more useable, lenghtened time of moon/non-regulated light than the Arc does. I think we're splitting hairs here, unless I'm totally missing what you're asking.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we're splitting hairs here, unless I'm totally missing what you're asking.

LOL...yea...have to agree with that. Any chance you have a old E0...could you pop it on your meter for a moment so we can see how the be brightness compares to the new one? Interested to see if it has double the output more~less?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN will you be doing a L92 runtime test with the ARC DS for comparison, since the L92 should have a much different discharge curve on the ARC compared to the alkaline.

da.gee

Enlightened
Great info. Thanks much.

I'm very interested in this light as an Arc type replacement. I like the colors too.

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
Wow, those graphs really show what we have been expecting.

Things I like about this light

* Switch contact design - the negative connection on the PCB contacts directly with a rim inside the battery tube, the battery is always held steady by a spring.
* Knurling is very good
* Anodised threads
* Flat sides on the body make it easier to hold
* Fully regulated light output from a standard AAA battery
* Can stand on it's end
* Excellent value for money

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks again everyone. Yes, I'll be doing the L92 in the Arc sometime tonight. Currently the L92 in the Fenix is on the meter. It was still running brightly when I left for work a hour or so ago. Sorry, I don't have an E0 light.

streetmaster

Enlightened
TIN, thanks a million for your time and batteries spent on the runtime tests. Also, your personal opinion on the E01 prove to be just as important/valuable to me. What really matters to me is the practical everyday usability/durability of this light. I am even more anxious to receive my E01's now. Thanks again.:twothumbs

Latest posts