My Quick Fenix E01 Review

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a couple of thoughts here. First, I find the spill to perfectly fine. Seems to be no different than the Arc in that regard, though I have not compared them side by side. There is certainly plenty of good spill with my E01.

Second, the head on my E01 turns a little too easy and might activate in my pocket without my consent. But I did lube it with Slick 50 bearing grease, so its probably my fault. :D

But I am pleased with the light, especially at under $15 shipped (when you order 2 or more in order to get the fenix-store discount). Very good light, especially factoring in the price. I'm getting a little tired of dropping big bucks for little EDC lights, so this is nice.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
With all the recent offerings of 1 x AAA lights, I'm really glad the E01 appears to be a winner. I've been a fan of the 1 x AAA light, long before it became fashionable on CPF. I really believe that with this Fenix E01 + Fenix LOD Q4 + LiteFlux LF2X in my pockets/key-chain, 99% of my lighting needs are met, without sacrificing much pocket real estate.

-- E01 for that super long runtime.
-- LOD Q4 when a bit more lighting is required.
-- LF2X when a very dim light is needed.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review... I've been hooked on AAA lights ever since I bought a Microstream off B/S/T. Now seeing the data on the E01, I'll have to go order one of these too.

But why isn't this posted in the Reviews sub-forum?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice review. Can't wait to see the L92 runtime. I ordered a purple E01 for my wife, now I think I'll get myself a blue one.

AvPD

Enlightened
-- The LED (and this is my biggest complaint) is set too deep into the reflector.
-- Because of the deep-set LED, side spill is pretty useless in what I look for in this type of light.

I ordered one of these as an introduction to Fenix lights but I noticed on a photograph at Kaidomain (below) that almost all of the light emitted from the sides of the LED is lost, which makes for a pretty poor design from such a hyped up manufacturer.
I installed a 5mm LED into a 2XAA Maglite clone, and there's a fair amount of light to be directed forward by a properly positioned reflector.

633446040929074666.jpg

Brownstone

Enlightened
I've had that meter for so long, I don't recall where I got it. I'll check for my online receipts and let you know if I can find it. It's a data logging type device. Set it, forget it either plugged into the laptop or standalone and dump the data to the laptop at some other time.

I know your post was about the E01, but I'd also be interested in knowing more about your test setup.

Brownstone

Enlightened
...almost all of the light emitted from the sides of the LED is lost, which makes for a pretty poor design from such a hyped up manufacturer. I installed a 5mm LED into a 2XAA Maglite clone, and there's a fair amount of light to be directed forward by a properly positioned reflector.

What sort of 5mm LED did you do your Maglite testing with? The Nichia GS has very high directivity with little light from the sides. This graph might help:

nichia-gs-directivity.jpg

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN

Any observations in outdoor use between the E01 and the ARC

Thanks!

edc3

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I'm dying to get my light, but no shipping notification yet. :popcorn:

servito

Newly Enlightened
With all the recent offerings of 1 x AAA lights, I'm really glad the E01 appears to be a winner. I've been a fan of the 1 x AAA light, long before it became fashionable on CPF. I really believe that with this Fenix E01 + Fenix LOD Q4 + LiteFlux LF2X in my pockets/key-chain, 99% of my lighting needs are met, without sacrificing much pocket real estate.

-- E01 for that super long runtime.
-- LOD Q4 when a bit more lighting is required.
-- LF2X when a very dim light is needed.

I agree with the selection you will be carrying on your pocket, well, at least for the Fenix, that will be the ones on mine.

Mmmmmmm, this is giving me good vibrations about this torch, many people are talking good things about it, can't wait for mine to be here.

The worst thing is that I will get my LOD Q4 before my E01, so I don't know if I will test it before getting the E01, so I could be disappointed by the throw of the latter.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! Pity there's no comparison to the arc GS, but I'd guess the arc will hold its own for longer than the E01 with a GS.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one of these as an introduction to Fenix lights but I noticed on a photograph at Kaidomain (below) that almost all of the light emitted from the sides of the LED is lost, which makes for a pretty poor design from such a hyped up manufacturer.
I installed a 5mm LED into a 2XAA Maglite clone, and there's a fair amount of light to be directed forward by a properly positioned reflector.
According to this post it is not a problem.

I'd be interested if you could prove your statement by removing the LED from the head and measuring the side spill, if any.

Brownstone

Enlightened
One of the 14000mcd ones from Dealextreme (link).

I can't determine the manufacturer even though they give a part number, and the specifications they provide don't make any claim on a viewing angle.

Let's say it is a typical 5mm LED with a "standard" 2θ½ of 60°. The directivity would look something like this:

nichia-60-directivity.jpg

And in comparison, a Nichia GS has a directivity like this:

nichia-gs-directivity.jpg

I'm just saying we can't assume all 5mm LEDs are alike in terms of sidespill.

Last edited:

Latest posts