My thoughts on the moonlight mode

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I use the moonlight-ish mode (1 lumen or lower) on my bedside light every single night as I get ready for bed. 5 lumens is DISGUSTINGLY overbright for that, so I don't use any of my Lumintops. The runtime is cool to know but ultimately just a marketing thing and not a reason for you to pick a torch.

As for complaining about lights that start at moonlight, that's valid. It's also why mode memory is a thing. :poke:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What we have here are two different types of users...
We have super-hard users that need full-send all the time.
Then we have the nightstand users that need it go pee.

Obviously I'm a super-hard user needing single mode high output only. If my battery lasts more than 10 minutes before needing changed then that light isn't enough for me.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I was one of the ones pushing for ever lower modes a few years back and am so glad that we've finally got lots of sub-lumen lights available now. I used to use the lowest levels on a nightly basis at work when I was surrounded by people with cameras out and ready for capturing northern lights to take home.
Now I seldom use the lowest levels any more and 1-2 lumens is generally low enough, but I definitely remember when that same 1-2 lumens was far, far too bright and had to be masked in my hand to avoid being disruptive.
The right levels for any light is completely determined by the user and their particular circumstances.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember one of my first LED lights, CMG Infinity.
IIRC, it had about 1 lumen. It was too dim for anything other than digging around your backpack to be discreet. And all colors, green and red.
Then they came out with Infinity Ultra, bumping it too, OMG, all of 3-5 lumens or something and CPF went Oooohh and Aaaah.

Well, it was around the year 2000. Can't believe almost quarter century.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moonlight is for those that like reading romance novels in bed.
I'm a bull in a china shop. I want to blast 1,000 lumens sending everyone for cover

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Honestly, I never understood Moonlight mode.
Apparently, lighting a candle is too bright??
You don't have to understand it other than to know that you don't need it, and others do.
Yeah, preferably over by an open window.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bull in a china shop. I want to blast 1,000 lumens sending everyone for cover
+

There's some guy who does burnout donuts at stop sign intersections at night around here.
You see new ones all the time.

I'll bet $100 bucks he'd say the exact same thing as you.

Last edited:

pipes

Newly Enlightened
Before I got a flashlight that had moonlight, I also thought, wow, why would you. I got a flashlight that came with it, and now I try to make sure any new ones that i get have that function lol. I use it every night for walking around the house while everyone is sleeping. It is the perfect amount of light for that.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

There's some guy who does burnout donuts at stop sign intersections at night around here.
You see new ones all the time.

I'll bet $100 bucks he'd say the exact same thing as you.

I'd only be impressed if it was a deleted diesel and he was rolling coal

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
⬆️ My philosophy exactly. I like a broooooad spectrum of light levels, it makes the torch very useful. And even if my use requirements sit below 50lm 99,6% of the time, it's the 0,4% where 500lm is barely enough that gets ya.

Latest posts