MY TIPS - to INCREASE your GAS MILAGE

SilentK

Enlightened
My sole vehicle is a 1993 Lincoln Town Car. The car weighs a solid 4,400-4,500 pounds with me, a full tank of gas, full sized spare tire and a 2.5 ton floor jack in the trunk for tire changes. I've got 146k on the odometer and on the interstate going 75mph, I get a consistent 29/30mpg. I've seen a 7-8mpg increase on that if I hang a little behind an 18 wheeler. (About three or four car lengths.) In the city, I get around 23/24. That's with slow accelerations, rolling to stop lights, and overall just driving like I'm 70 years old. :D Although I've seen that number plummet down to 15/16mpg if I drive like a majority of my friends who go to high school with me. I don't think I'm doing too bad for driving a land yacht that's almost 20 years old and that I only paid $1,200 for! Especially since I've got three different brands of used tires on it. (New tires are coming at the end of the month) :thumbsup:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've seen a 7-8mpg increase on that if I hang a little behind an 18 wheeler. (About three or four car lengths.)

Yep, I especially love race trailers that are low to the ground; the MPG starts to climb from even ~20 feet away - I could consistently get right around 40 MPG in an older Lexus SUV this way..

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've seen a 7-8mpg increase on that if I hang a little behind an 18 wheeler. (About three or four car lengths.)
You would probably do even better hanging behind a bus, especially if you can hang a car length or two behind. Not related to mpg per se, but I've gone 50+ mph on level roads on my bike hanging behind buses. I also hit close to 60 mph once behind a large van when I accidentally got on an expressway. I don't even need to hang right behind-a car length back is sufficient, and it gives me sufficient time to react if the driver hits the brakes. Really amazing how much those things block the wind. The only downside is I'm spinning at about ~135 RPM in my top 53-11 gear @ 50 mph, so it's not something I feel like doing for more than a brief time. When I feel like slowing to more pedestrian speeds, I just get out of the slipstream. Once I do that, I slow down like I hit a sand pit.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
When tailgating a truck to increase mileage, several things come into play. Among them are less turbulence, reduced wind resistance and consistent speed.

An early Prius driver did some tests (complete with wind speed sensors) and found that you still get benefit from following a Semi at a normal distance. The 'wind shadow' extends much further than was expected.

Don't discount the fact that the semi will also tend to go at a more steady speed than typical traffic. Steady speed means less chance of needing to hit the brakes.

Semis also tend to go a little slower. This decreases fuel consumption on most cars.

Daniel

SilentK

Enlightened
When tailgating a truck to increase mileage, several things come into play. Among them are less turbulence, reduced wind resistance and consistent speed.

An early Prius driver did some tests (complete with wind speed sensors) and found that you still get benefit from following a Semi at a normal distance. The 'wind shadow' extends much further than was expected.

Don't discount the fact that the semi will also tend to go at a more steady speed than typical traffic. Steady speed means less chance of needing to hit the brakes.

Semis also tend to go a little slower. This decreases fuel consumption on most cars.

Daniel

Would you happen to remember about how many car lengths you need to be back behind a rig before you get any measurable increase in fuel economy? And i second the idea that slower speeds are more efficient. On my particular car, if i go the slowest speed i can without the transmission dropping me out of overdrive, it is more effecient than faster speeds. Cruise control helps a great deal as well.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
For following distance, the two second rule works well. You should pass a highway marker two seconds after the truck/car ahead of you pases it. That will come out to close to 200 feet at 65 mph.

I do not remember the optimum distance. The research was back in 2002-2003, and I can't find the post on priuschat.com

Daniel

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Cruise control helps a great deal as well.

Don't use cruise if MPG is the goal; if you let the car lose a bit of speed uphill and regain it going downhill, you'll get better mileage than maintaining the same speed. And you can do a better job of ensuring there's no downshift than the cruise can.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Cruise can be your friend. With a well implemented cruise, the speed is kept steady with a minimum of power input. Without cruise, you tend to oscillate between speeding up and coasting. You may also tend to drive faster. I have discovered that I get several more MPG if I use the cruise on the freeway than I do if I just use my foot to control speed.

The difference is enough that I notice it at the end of my commute when I have had to drop out of cruise and forget to use it.

Daniel