Narrow Optics how narrow are they?

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Hey guys, I am having a light moded and we are going to use optics. I M thinking of narrow beam optics because without a reflector I figured I would need narrow optics to get any kind of throw. But I'm inexperienced, are narrow optics super narrow? I would be putting them on 3 or 4 XHP-70's

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optics are usually floodier than a reflector, which is why the narrow is the choice for 20mm triples. With a die as large as the XHP-70, any optic will be quite floody, and would require a lather large reflector to appropriately collimate the light into a beam with some kind of throw.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Optics are usually floodier than a reflector, which is why the narrow is the choice for 20mm triples. With a die as large as the XHP-70, any optic will be quite floody, and would require a lather large reflector to appropriately collimate the light into a beam with some kind of throw.
so you think at the very least as far as optic choices narrow is the way to go.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
so you think at the very least as far as optic choices narrow is the way to go.

I would say so unless you were looking for flood. The exception might be a frosted one to blend the dead spot together. I'm not familiar with how an XHP-70 specifically looks under an optic.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
I would say so unless you were looking for flood. The exception might be a frosted one to blend the dead spot together. I'm not familiar with how an XHP-70 specifically looks under an optic.
im wondering if I would have a dead spot with 4 XHP-70's? That's like 16000 lumens, I'm hoping no dead spots will be visible?

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't speak for 4 XHP-70s, but I have this which is a triple of XHP-50s and the optic used blends the dead regions together so they aren't visible. Unfortunately it only throws through sheer output.

DSCF0487_Small.jpg

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Yea. Always a sacrifice somewhere isn't there?. I'm gonna have 4 putting out 16000 lumens so I am hoping that even with the narrow optics, the larger diod and all the out put are going to just flood out any dark spots. Crossing my fingers on atleast a little bit of throw...like u said if not just from sheer out put.

Oogabooga

Newly Enlightened
see if you can get the model number of the lens so you can find the datasheet. it should give you the angle of the lens, from which you can calculate how throwy it will be.